Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL I wouldn't call it saving his own career after playing in 5 games

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The need for instant gratification is amazing around here

LF911SC, NYJFOREVER, dmw and 4 others like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You don't get many chances to correct a bad first impression.

The people saying he's just a rookie have that part right. What they're not saying is that he sucks also. You don't get a particularly long window of outright suckage before you lose your job. This isn't the pre-free agency NFL where a team could warehouse a talent at very little cost. The Jets are on the clock with Wilson right now and they don't have 2 seasons to confirm that his sucking is real. They will determine that this season unless Wilson finds a way to play better and change the narrative.

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Wrong

REVISion and FJF like this.
  5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Seriously, Last week we are praising the kid this week he is a bust. This is ridiculous, beyond idiotic. Luck had four games with a QB rating Under 65 his rookie year three in the 50's including a 3 int 51% comp in week 16.

This good has shown the flashes to be a special QB and he has shown what it looks like being a rookie in the NFL. We have to stop calling the kid a but after every bad game. Mayfield had a good rookie season and sucked the next. Josh Allen Sucked his first two season. Mahomes did not even play his rookie season on a stacked team. Herbert is an outlier, Tua sucks. Fields is struggling, TL is struggling and Jones is up and down being asked to do very little.

Zach has shown enough to keep playing and to me has shown enough that playing will help him develop. He needs and can play better but he will get 3 years minimum unless he starts playing like Haskins. We should all be excited with the things this kid can do, he just needs to put it all together but it will take minimum this season.

Posts like Brad's does not help him or the fan base. It is really pathetic since he has been a good poster for a long time. Most likely going on Ignore and I have never out anyone on ignore.

NYJFOREVER, dmw and FJF like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude, you're being just as irrational. Luck took a 2-14 roster and dragged them to the playoffs on his back with the 26th ranked defense at his back whilst leading them on seven game winning drives. Wilson has almost matched your cherry picked stat about Luck's passer rating in his first five games.

And then you go on to compare him to a bunch of quarterbacks who suck and generally sucked early on and a couple who were outstanding who were outstanding early on. If that's the bar, the argument hurts your own case.

Allen, Stafford and Goff are the only quality NFL starters that threw more interceptions than touchdowns in their rookie year.

Unless he starts playing like Haskins? Dude. He is playing like Haskins.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It can't possibly be worse than training in NJ with Cavanaugh, so why not?

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

BS the Colts tanked to be 2-14. That wasn't a 2-14 roster. Luck took a borderline playoff roster to the playoffs as a rookie. Impressive but he didn't join the Jets and make them instant contenders or anything

9. BrowningNagle

Wilson is thinking too much. He needs to take the week to think about anything BUT football in my opinion. But, if tossing the ball around with his friend Beck is what does it for him than fine

10. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You would think Jets fans would have had their fill of instant gratification since we get it all the time.

[​IMG]

11. BrowningNagle

any gratification from this team, instant or otherwise, would be a nice start

12. legler82

These comparisons are so awful.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So you think take that he’s trying to salvage his career after week 5 is rational?

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. legler82

No but I also don’t think accusing Jets fans of all people of always wanting instant gratification is rational either. Then again, I’m a weird guy.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

I'm not sure what's so irrational about expecting a bit more out of a top five pick. The rookie quarterback excuse has become a farce. Rookie quarterbacks don't struggle like they did in the 90s and turn it around to become top players in the pro-passing NFL.

If he struggles as he has, the rest of the way, the percentages say he will have a very difficult time becoming a successful NFL pro.

REVISion likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

I think there is different kinds of struggles though. Wilson could easily look a lot better if they ran the ball 35 times a game and only asked him to throw it 15 times with safe dink & dunking. He finishes 9-16 109 yards 0TD 0INT. Jets lose 20-10. He doesn't look "bad" but do we really know if he struggled or not?

I say that because there are rookie QBs every year, this year included, that teams go with that plan with.

So it throws off your "percentages that say he will have a difficult time becoming successful" a little. Because their team protected them, successful QBs aren't in the "struggled early" category, but they would or might have, if their teams let them.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

It doesn't matter if they were better protected or not, because if the team doesn't protect him and he turns the ball over a ton, he still falls into a rarified category of three (two if you exclude Goff) players that have succeeded after throwing more picks than touchdowns.

I agree we should run the ball more, but we are dead center in the league in passing attempts (17th) so it's not like he's throwing 45 times a game.

The 9/16 with 100 yards is a lost concept anyways. The Browns have a dominant running game and Baker's throwing the ball 30 times a game.

18. BrowningNagle

its mayfield's 3 year though. I'm talking about Fields, Lance and Jones, who have all had 9/16 100 yard type games

Edit: well I guess not Jones. Jeeez NE throws too many 2 yard passes!

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Lance hasn't had that type of game. He threw 29 times last week and 18 in a half against the Seahawks once Happy Feet Jimmy got hurt (who already had 23 passing attempts).

Fields is the only one that's been protected like that so far.

20. legler82

Furthermore, not all types of struggles are the same. As I said before getting fooled by exotic coverages you’ve never seen, holding on to the ball too long, making wrong reads…etc. are the normal rookie struggle stuff you expect. Throwing the ball at players feet, bad ball placement, throwing into triple coverage…etc. are the stuff worthy of raising at least one eye brow about.

I do find it funny that Wilson was getting Mahomes & Rodgers comparisons predraft and now Allen, a completely different type of QB prospect, is the flavor of the week. I bet most of who are quick to reference Allen now hated him coming out.