Wilson to spend the bye week in Utah working with John Beck

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Then I guess my question is who’s doing that? Gotta be less than a handful of people.

Comparisons I can recall, recently anyway, have been about Wilsons arm strength. He’s got a good arm so I can see why people might do that.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Search his name, man. He's constantly brought up.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/search/90561835/?q=Josh+allen&o=date

The reason he's brought up so much is because well for one we have to watch him beat us twice a year. Secondly, he's an example of a quarterback that went to an organization that did everything to make sure he succeeds. And third, everyone's hoping that Wilson's early struggles will be similar to Allen in that he grows out of them very fast.

Wilson should go back and watch game tape of Allen and use his legs more. As soon as quarterbacks can pick up a couple first downs a game on the ground, the game slows down and the linebackers and defensive backs stop sitting so comfortably in zones, waiting for the mistake. They're moving forward more than they're moving backwards.

It's one of the reasons Allen won some games as a rookie and one of the biggest reasons he was able to go into Minnesota and kick their ass as double digit underdogs that year.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Rookie Allen and even current Allen still does designed runs and is physical enough to run between the tackles. That’s a crucial element of Allen’s game Wilson can not replicate.

#183 legler82, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He doesn't have to run between the tackles to be an effective runner. He's a good enough athlete to pickup 7 yards on a run and slide and protect himself.

Allen is a freak and can deliver blows because he's so damn big. That's not what I was advocating. I was advocating for Wilson to add 20-25 yards a game here and there for a couple first downs. So far he has 22 yards total through 5 games.

Red Menace and REVISion like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Zach is pretty quick... I could see running a few plays that take advantage of that.

It might even cut down on the interceptions... :confused:

barfolomew likes this.
  6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

We'll honestly they already have it fixed, Cman... They already fired Mike Macagnan. That was job 1. Then they needed to fire Adam Gase. That was job 1A. Honestly, by shitcanning the two of them that's literally addition by subtraction

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

been a lot of that in recent years. Now its time for "addition by addition" for once

Pepsiguy5 and cval like this.
  8. NYJ1970

AGREED. I think JD is on the right path. No one is ever patient enough. There's a million armchair GM's that are always right. Just ask them they'll tell you. Then there's other fans who think is easy just wish over some fairy dust and it all instantly changes. Those are the fans that want and think instant change is right there for the taking.

Both of those types of people are off the reservation weirdos. It doesn't happen instantly. Anyone that knows football knows this is going to take more than just one offseason.

FJF and cval like this.
  9. NYJ1970

Well, I think JD is on the right path. I loved what he did in FA and the draft. It's all new and anybody that thought this would be an instant turn around was kidding themselves. There still at least one more draft away before you start to see this team really compete.

So my response to your addition by addition statement, while I agree with you, the additions are piling up they are not evident at this time due to a brand new CS.

cval likes this.
  10. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

John Beck was a pretty boring quarterback. I hope he tells Zach how to be boring like him as well exciting off platform

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think JD is on the right path with this roster. Can’t say that about the CS yet. That’s TBD.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think JD is on the right path.

I think he's checking off boxes on a checklist and not very well at that.

You don't build a team with a checklist of parts you need. You build a team by getting guys who can play well together and who build their own esprit de corps in the process.

This Jets team is no closer to a Super Bowl than they were when JD took over or in 2018 or in 2015 or in 2013 or in 2011. We're still doing stuff for marketing purposes and watching guys who have no clue try to assemble a roster when what they really need to be doing is to build a team.

In a year or two when the Jets are still short critical pieces all over the field but have a great LG this will be obvious. When that LG is demanding to be a franchise LG? Well, that's the Same Old Jets.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The NY Jets... as they stand today... sure do need to find an identity.

For better or worse... that's what Rex brought to the Jets.

The All Gas No Brakes motto rings hollow when you're just a failed organization.

barfolomew and legler82 like this.
  14. Br4d

The thing Rex brought to the Jets was instant team. He brought several of his key 'team' players over with him and they blended really well with the vets the Jets already had.

The OL was already well-blended due to several vet OL who knew what it took to win coming over and meshing very well with the Jets young prime OL.

The problem was they did this with a rookie QB and they didn't see the Revis blindside coming nor the injuries and subsequent retirement of Kris Jenkins.

Cman68 and Acad23 like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just ask the Chicago Cubs about development. Same for the Detroit Lions. It doesn't happen instantly, but it shouldn't take 50 years either. We'll know by 2024 if JD's plan is working or not. At least by then we won't play the ROOKIE, Rookie, rookie card anymore.. Hopefully

#195 Cman68, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Noam likes this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

When you hire a new coaching staff, have a very young roster with more starting rookies than any other team it takes longer than 5 games.

FJF and Noam like this.
  17. Cman68

It may take longer than 5 years too... ROOKIE, Rookie, rookie Card..

Br4d likes this.
  18. Br4d

However you're not supposed to look like total ass out there on the field either and that's the look the Jets have had in the majority of their games so far.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Right now the Jets feel infinitely far away from a Super Bowl. Nothing they've done in the past 3 years is likely to be the seeds of that type of happening.

Cman68 likes this.
  20. Cman68

I was trying to look on the bright for the sake of the younger jet fans. I think JD will be well into his second contract assuming he gets one, before this team starts to resemble a contender.

Br4d likes this.