Williams a waste

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MeanGreen80, Mar 24, 2006.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If we "need" to use pick # 4 to replace Abe, what the hell were we thinking when we traded him for pick # 29.

Assuming the trade was fair value (yes this is a big assumption) we do not need to use pick # 4 to replace Abe and probably shouln't use pick # 29 to replace him either. We have Ellis, Kimo, and Thomas to hold the fort for now.

2. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

For everyone here who hasn't figured it out, I'm going to summarize for you.

Mario Williams will never play LB in the 3-4. He is 6-7 and 300 lbs. It would be absurd to see him running around out there. He will play DE and be a Richard Seymour type of player.

John Abraham was a 4-3 DE. He could never play the 3-4 DE. Period. The coaching staff probably thought he wouldn't be able to make the switch or that he wasn't worth the money to teach him how to play OLB with him already having played for like 6 years. John Abraham would have had to play the OLB on this team as he is not stout enough to take on blockers.

Therefore, we are not replacing John Abraham with Mario Williams, we are replacing Kimo Von Oelhoffen with Mario Williams. Furthermore, if we take Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley at #29, then we will be replacing John Abraham with them. That is strictly because Manny Lawson and Kamerion Wimbley would have to play OLB in the 3-4 because they, like John Abraham, are not stout enough to play 3-4 DE. Period.

Thus, in summation, we would not be replacing John Abraham with Mario Williams at pick #4. However, we could easily replace John Abraham at pick #29 with Manny Lawson or Kamerion Wimbley. We would be using Abraham's value (#29) to replace him with a much younger and much cheaper player as well as someone who is a better fit for our scheme.

Period.

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So what will become of Kimo and Robertson if we get Williams, would we rotate?

4. James Hasty

Look at Dwayne Robertson's cap numbers and tell me again how cheap Williams will be.

5. GreenMachine

Quite honestly, That is like saying If you trade in your 2000 Corvette for a 2006 Corvette it is bad. You already had one, so why get a new one?

Especially if that Vette did not like to turn over near the end of the year..:up:

6. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

And about 30 Lbs. Which has alot to do with being stout at the point of attack.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He will be 5 Million cheaper this year than Abe would have been.

8. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Only if Abe had signed the franchise tender. If he had signed a long term deal the money will be similar to what the 4th pick in the draft would get.

9. GreenMachine

He turned down the Long term deal....

10. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

And it's my opinion that Mario will be a Z06 too.

11. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I totally disagree, as I believe Williams will be twice the force at least that Abe was. Abraham is a very gifted player who wasn't always in the game. He'd have the great games that he was capable of, then he'd disappear for games at a time.

12. James Hasty

Absolutely correct, give the man a cigar.

13. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Tony and I have been on point with this from the beginning. Abraham was limited by his ability to disappear and his history of coming up small in big spots was noteworthy. We needed a new option.

-X-

14. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Excellent post. I agree totally. However, since they already signed Kimo, they might be leaning towards Brick. More than likely I see them trading down.

15. JetsFan7817

JetsFan7817 Member

I think that this is the biggest and most obvious point for Mario Williams supporters like me. xjetx2002x was also spot on in his analysis of why SuperMario would be a good selection.

16. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

My sentiments exactly.... KNOW THIS, if we don't trade up to get Mario, and assuming Mangold is gone at 29, we will be taking Wimbley(if available) or some other highly rated DE with one of our 1st 3 picks! You don't lose a player of Abe's caliber and not expect to try to replace it....

17. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

That must be the winner for the "Dumb Quote of the Day"

18. MeanGreen80

MeanGreen80 New Member

The only advantage I see we would have by replacing Abe with Williams is he can play DT very well to. So that would add some flexibility to our line.

19. AlToon

AlToon Member

Mario Williams is being compared to Julius Peppers

20. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

You explained the situation perfectly. There's nothing else for me to add.