Will the Jets break the franchise record for longest playoff drought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Not this year. Maybe 2022

Cman68 and Noam like this.
  2. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I love the Jets but there is no fucking way they make the playoffs this year.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head....Chiefs, Bills, Titans, Colts, Ravens, Browns, Dolphins, Pats, Chargers all have a better shot to make the playoffs in the AFC.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I remember heading into 2009 Jets fans were calling me absolutely nuts for screaming playoffs heading in.

Rookie HC = Rex Ryan.
    Rookie OC = Shotty Jr.
    Rookie DC = Mike Pettine.
    Rookie QB = Mark Sanchez.

vs.

Rookie HC = Robert Saleh.
    Rookie OC = Mike LaFleur.
    Rookie DC = Jeff Ulbrich.
    Rookie QB = Zach Wilson.

As long as C.J Mosley returns 100% behind both of Carl Lawson and Quinnen Williams; we're going to feature a top 5 NFL Defense under coach Saleh and from there we'll contend for a postseason birth.

Heck in 1996 we went 1-15 under Rich Kotite and immediately responded to 9-7 the following season of 1997 under the big Tuna (and had a chance @ the PLAYOFFS week 17 @ Detroit).

It's amazing what a fresh start and a culture change can do for both a locker room and football team.

2021's Jets are going to be awesome to watch come Sunday's.

PJ4Ever and Baumeister like this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Edit: double-post.

#25 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  6. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

I will be thrilled if during the last 3 weeks of the season the Jet logo is on The TV screen when they talk about teams In The Hunt for the playoffs

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

appreciate your excitement but if saleh was working with mangini left overs even i would be intrigued.

they are working off the gase hangover.....will take some time.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sorry, but the answer is no, they won't make the playoffs in 2021. Too much "new" in the building. This team is still in rebuilding mode, not retooling as you can't possibly retool from 2-14. New CS, new systems on both sides of the ball. Not a lot of talent in the defensive backfield. I'd be happy with a 2-4 game improvement. Until that happens, this is a 2-14 team until they win their 3rd game.

#28 Cman68, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Jets81, CotcheryFan and patleahy like this.
  9. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

It all depends on Zach Wilson and his development plus health of front line starters think team has enough talent to make a wild card don't think it will go far depth is a big issue also.

PJ4Ever and patleahy like this.
  10. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I guess it helps that the NFL seems to want at least half the league to make the playoffs, lol....:(

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I see you're getting an early start on disappointment. I'll wait, as I always do, to the bitter end.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Actually I feel like I am in a no-lose situation.

Either the Jets suck in which case I am right or they surprise in which case I am happy.

Over the years I've watched the people who are always optimistic flame out on a regular basis. That's what happens when a team blows chunks as often as the Jets have.

Cman68 and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I can't help it....imma sucker. always get amped this time of year! if i wait till they show it on the field itd be all disappointment, no excitement.

14. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I gotta say I applaud your optimism for sure. You also provided good examples of turn around in Jets history. I am just so up and down with the Jets. I have literally ruined many a Sundays when I was younger placing hope in this team (which in hind sight is stupid as fuck). With that said I lean more to the pessimistic side of the ledger. I will stay there routing for our beloved Jets until it’s safe to emerge from the cave of despair.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

If we can't believe in Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh? There is no hope at all.

And Zach Wilson dominated like no Jets drafted QB ever since dating back to Chad Pennington coming out of Marshall (before injuries).

I think our team hero will be C.J Mosley he returns to week 1 Buffalo form and we've got the greatest Jets MLB of All-Time (my generation) leading our Defense because not even Jones/Vilma/Harris (combined) owns this man's NFL accolades; C.J Mosley returns and he's leading this Defense into the playoffs.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Historically, new for the Jets is a good thing. Gase is the first Jets coach since Kotite not to be over .500 his first season.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Interesting stat. I hope it holds for Saleh but again, I've always believed that it takes time for a new system to take hold and start to function as designed.

18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This is the key to sustainability as a Jets fan.

Br4d and Cman68 like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The problem is that owning an NFL franchise is a fool-proof process. The shared TV money so outweighs all the other factors that there is no combination of circumstances related to the team performance that will ever force an owner to sell.

A region can literally be held captive by owners only in it for the easy money for decades.

Jets81 likes this.
  20. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

there's a missing piece to this issue......

first of all, now that Joe Douglas had been here for a while, I think there's realities that need to be acknowledged:

1) Gase was an exceptionally BAD HC. With that being said , the root cause of the Jets futility was NOT the HC. I firmly believe that both Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles were fine HC's. I personally think Rex Ryan was better, but Bowles was NOT a bad coach. The problem always was the GENERAL MANAGER. The fact is, Mike Tannenbaum, John Idzik, Mac, not any one of them could draft their way out of a wet paper bag. They were straight up incompetent idiots. Their inability to draft guaranteed the Jets futility. A HC MUST have talent to win and Rex and Bowles never had talent to work with.

2) That's NOT the case now. Joe Douglas IMO is the first GM that actually has a plan. He actually draft well?! Can you believe it? As shocking as that sounds as a Jets fan, Chris and Woody actually made a GOOD hire this time. So now that JD has essentially overhauled the roster. The idea that the roster is talentless is a historical idea that no longer exists.

3) Another fact that doesn't get mentioned enough is INJURIES. The Jets have been ravaged by injuries the past two seasons. Two seasons ago they were signing linebackers off the street and starting them on Sunday. The Jets I think lost every linebacker on the roster for part of all of the season? Last season at one point I think the ONLY healthy WR they had that could start was Berrios. When you get gashed by injuries the way the Jets have there's simply no way you can win.

So really what we have right now is a brand new HC, a GM that has actually started drafting well and adding decent players through free agency, and ZERO results on the field. It's all new really from top to bottom. My belief is this team IS talented enough to find themselves this season in that endless abyss of parity. Just another team with anywhere from 7 to 9 wins. I don't think the Jets are any longer a talentless roster. I think quite frankly Mac was the WORST GM this team had ever had although it's debatable about whether him or John Idzik was the worst.