Will the Giants really allow the Jets to draft Darnold?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 21, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Or Eli will continue his downward spiral and the Giants will be caught in NFL purgatory for the next 2 to 3 years picking in the middle of each round of the draft. The quarterback they pass on goes onto be a hall of famer for the Jets. The Jets get their own stadium eventually. Odell comes out the closet. Fuck the Giants!!!!!!

Brook! likes this.
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If I were a GM I would look at my top 20 picks as a player that can be on the field immediately and help the team make the playoffs. Giants having a FQB makes it easier to go with such player.

I would never worry about my draft position, just worry about the team I’m building. The giants have a chance to give Eli a young weapon that they can have for the next four years with an option for a fifth.

Don’t forget, Davis Webb had a good career in Cal just like Jared Goff did, the Giants will groom him to be the starter when Eli is ready to move on. They should be in no hurry to bury Eli, just infuse the team with talent let Webb absorb as much as he can, keep on drafting a project qb in later rounds until it’s time to worry about replacing Eli.

Something else to consider, Eli’s last year could be a down year where Webb is given starting job midway through season and Giants will definitely have a high draft pick they can use to select a potential FQB with.

I see your point as well, all I’m saying is from my perspective if I were a GM, I wouldn’t worry about a qb if I had Eli.

3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It involves a number of questions. All 3 of the big 3 QBs have serious flaws.

1. Is there a QB available that the Giants view as a FQB?
    2. Are they comfortable using the 2nd pick on A QB with flaws that is not a sure thing. It is possible they do not like any of these QBs enough to use a top 2 pick on any of them.
    3. If the answer is yes to both IMO they have to take a QB. The opportunity comes around so infrequently. Who is Gettleman? Is he more interested in short term success to save his job or playing a long term game? If I was a Giant fan I would be seriously concerned with a GM that would pass over the possibility of a long term answer at QB for short term success.

#23 Noam, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

to answer the original question if the Giants dont want to draft Darnold or dont like him then YES they would absolutely "let" the Jets draft Darnold. Actually, I dont even know what letting the Jets draft him means. The Giants are have absolutely ZERO interest in who teh Jets pick

Red Menace and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

The Giants would be best served to either pick a QB or trade down. Barkley is going to be a great player, but is the upgrade between him and the next best RB off the board that great? I’m not so sure about that.

The argument I’ve heard recently that the RB position is valuable again is flawed. I don’t think anyone every disagreed RB’s are valuable, the issue is that there are a lot of guys out there who can get the job done. There are probably 60 “starting caliber” RB in the NFL right now to only 15 QBs.

Also this idea that Davis Webb is the real deal is flawed as well. This regime did not draft Davis Webb, and there is a brand new coaching staff in there that has yet to see him practice. Can you really deduce that this guy is the real deal off of some practice film? He didn’t even beat out Geno Smith for the backup.

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Who cares?

The Giants are picking ahead of the Jets: what if the Giant's draft the Jets "guy" .??

7. Red Menace

No QB that the Giants select is going to unseat Eli, it’s an easy decision for me if I’m the GM for them. Infusion of young playmakers, it’s not that hard to figure this out.

You build for now and the future, right now they can get some young playmakers that can start and are on contracts that are easy to handle who give them a chance to make the playoffs with a QB that can win the big games for them.

They are one year removed from making the playoffs, they have OBJ, if they draft Nelson or Barkley it only helps the offense be more competitive and explosive.

Who did they get rid of, Geno or Webb?

This is not that hard to figure out man.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I don't see the Giants taking a QB at #2 - if they do then they more or less have to move on from Eli at the end of the year - I think they go QB in round 3 or 4.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Then why not trade down? The Giants biggest issue over the past four seasons hasn’t been a dearth of playmakers. It has been along the offensive line. They tried to fix it in free agency, but as we know that is like driving with a donut instead of a tire.

If you look at their roster all of their best players are either getting paid or about to get paid. This was a great opportunity for them to move on from Eli and start rebuilding the right way. I believe Denver is in a similar spot to the NYG and realize that trading down or building around a cheap young QB is the way to go.

10. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

they are probably hoping for a last second desperation deal from someone that will include more than one 1st round pick (Bills I am looking at you)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Red Menace

The asking price may be too high for another team, are the Giants supposed to give up a possible 10 year all pro player for a couple of seconds this year and a second next year?

The giants have a chance to select Nelson with second overall and another OL with their second round pick then a RB with their 3rd round pick.

They have options in the draft with the OL help available in this years draft.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That risk was accepted the minute the Jets agreed to terms with Indianapolis .

13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

When you do well you build a waiting list, you can charge more for your already overpriced tickets and BS PSL's, and you can sell a boatload more merchandise and win more backpages. Both teams are highly cognizant of what the other is doing. There is a major financial windfall in being the team who owns the tri state area for an extended period of time.

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Exactly, point in fact, if the Giants don't see Darnold as the elite QB of the future, why would they give a crap who picks him.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Honestly, it's not even worth discussing. The Giants are going to pick the player they think best helps their organization. They aren't picking a guy just to play defense against the Jets or screw them over. The Giants aren't picking a QB, it seems like Giants fans just want to force the issue. Not buying it in the least.

16. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE.

I know how you feel, brother

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Its really not anyone can say that as there is only 4 QB to choose from.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is the most rational approach. I really hope they go that route, and give the Jets a few options that might not have been there when they made the trade up

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The biggest concern the Jets have with the Giants is that they trade their pick to the Bills and then for the next 5 years we will be comparing our pick to theirs. I don't think they will though unless Buffalo can first get to 5 or 6. There is just too much talent in those three non-QB players mentioned above to not take one of them.

#39 Don, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The Giants are not trading with Buffalo. They want to keep and make their pick. 2 is too valuable. Plus they have no interest in dropping out of elite range to Buffalo territory so a 3rd team would have to be involved. Plus they are too in love with Chubb and Barley to do any of this

Rest easy. It aint happening. We beat Buffalo to 3 and now they're SOL