Will Revis go down as the best Jet of all time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ray Guy might...

2. Calikid

Calikid New Member

I agree. He needs a few rings to over take Namath. That's why I found it interesting that some of your posters where giving Namath such a hard time. He's the greatest Jet of all time.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Klecko made the pro bowl at three different positions (or was it all-pro?). In any event it will take a lot to beat that.

4. carlito1171

carlito1171 Member

Revis has the potential to be the best CB OF ALL TIME let alone become the best Jet of all time. Will he reach that ceiling? Only time will tell...but if he continues at this pace for the better part of his career, he will be. A ring or 2 won't hurt his cause either

5. Calikid

Calikid New Member

Best CB of all time? It's going to take a lot. I'm sorry but I don't see him ever over taking Deon. Off the top of my head I'd currently take Rod Woodson and Michael Haynes over him.

6. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This is the thing. I don't know how long Revis will be a Jet, but it definitely wont be his entire career, and Im talking about more than just the bottom half of his career. I would hope that he would want to put a superbowl team together and would possibly take a paycut, but Im not so sure he would do that.

If the Jets win a superbowl soon you can pretty much kiss him goodbye because once he gets the ring its ALL about the cash. Im still not even sure how much the ring means to him compared to the cash as it is.

To be honest, Ive learned over the years that Revis is not the smartest dude out there. Judging by interviews and the holdout, he seems like your typical dumb athlete. Well see how dumb, but it doesn't really matter when you play like he does.

7. Calikid

Calikid New Member

I'm not so sure. Rex seems to be willing to pay him what he wants, so as long as Rex is there I think there's a good chance Revis will be as well.

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

lol yea Revis will be here as long as Rex is. Rex fell in love before his introductory press conference in the film room to find out what exactly he inherited.

9. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

Revis >>>> Any player in Jet history

#JetsGo

10. NYCBillsFan

NYCBillsFan Well-Known Member

Namath is not the greatest Jet of all time. His stats were not worthy of the title "Greatest Jet of all time". I'd say either Don Maynard or Curtis Martin should have that honor.

#50 NYCBillsFan, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Revis may very well go down as the Jets best player, but Gholston has done something Revis never will.

Gholston is the ONLY player in Jet history to be named to the active roster AND the PUP list at the same time.

Beat that Revis!!!

12. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

I'm just a Raider fan here but... BLASPHEMY.

Namath was, is, and always will be the greatest New York Jet. Ever. The guy's a legend.

Played under Bear Bryant at Alabama, got signed for 400,000 dollars at a time when it was unheard of, and later for a million. He first quarterback to throw for 4000 yards in a 12 game season, won the first Superbowl for the AFL ("We're gonna win this game, I guarantee it"), and he's a Hall of Famer. The dude was tough. He used to get cortisone shot into his knees on the sidelines and kept going. And maybe most importantly, he pulled more tail than a slow kid at a petting zoo.

And that incident where he was hammered and hit on that hot sideline report live on camera? Fucking classic.

And after Namath, I'd say Don Maynard runs a distant second.

Revis is a good cornerback, but he's not even close to being a lock for the Hall of Fame.

The Raider equivalent to this right now is "Is Daren McFadden the greatest Raider running back ever?" Whoever says that should be slapped.

#52 Ingersoll, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Let's hope not. I'd like to think we have other great players in our future.

14. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

This is wrong, here's why:

Revis has had amazing years from years 2-the present. He will continue being the top CB for the next 5 years until age gets to him. No one locks down WRs like he does, and due to the scheme he plays in its that much more important that he continues he dominance. He'll go to the HOF if this continues.

Why McFadden? That was horrible.

15. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

[YOUTUBE]IJCvS-3GWxc[/YOUTUBE]

16. 624

624 Banned

I think you've been an alright poster, but this post was just retarded.

Horrible comparison.

17. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Joe Namath is the Greatest Jet. QBs vs CBs. Who contributes more? Revis is a very good player who is on a trajectory to the HOF. But Namath has already been there, done that + he played QB which is inherently a more important position than CB + Namath won a SB. All that is true, but Revis is AWESOME. and Joe was AWESOME.

18. Calikid

Calikid New Member

Revis is a great CB, no doubt. That said, I personally don't believe that three great years qualifies one for the HOF. If it did, there'd be a lot more HOF's. Now if he has a few more years like he's been having then of course he's a lock in my book.

19. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. While Revis has been among the best, if not the best, at his position in the league for a couple of years, this has been done before by others. Namath, in fact, accomplished things (not including the SB win) that no QB in the history of pro football was able to accomplish. Throwing for 4000+ yards in a 12 game season when CBs had the freedom to ass-rape WRs with impunity was an extraordinary feat. Secondly, while a great CB can save you games and win you some games, he usually cannot carry a team to victory like Namath did for us so many times (unless of course he's more in the mould of Prime Time which Revis is not). Finally, I am from the school that believes the definition of "the Greatest," with or without championship titles, is defined as much by sustainability as much as it is by excellence. Being among the best or even the best for just two or three years is nowhere near enough in my book.

Al Toon, in my opinion, could have been one of the all time greatest WRs had he the good fortune to play out his career somewhere like SF instead of getting his career shortened by KOB repeatedly hanging him (and what should have been a much longer career) out to dry. He was one of the most fluid and gifted receivers I ever saw and his ability to make the first tackler miss after a reception was unmatched. But to many, he is not in the discussion as the all time best Jets receiver simply because his bright light did not shine for very long due to the concussion problems. Could he have become the best Jet ever? Possibly. We'll never know.

And while Revis surely has all the gifts and potential to ultimately be recognized as the All time best Jets player, he still has to put up many more seasons as a true shut down corner to be considered thusly by the majority of fans.

20. lamont_jordan_rules

... this ...

... sustain this level of play for 5-8 more years & bring at least 1 ring home! ...

l_j_r