Will or When would the Johnson's ever sell?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Sep 15, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan and Ray Lucas like this.
  2. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Who's even a great owner in NY sports these days?
    The Yankees haven't won or been to a World Series since George Steinbrenner died.
    The Mets are a joke.
    The Knicks are an even bigger joke and haven't been good since the late 90s.
    The Nets are average to poor.
    The Rangers are OK, had many awful years in the late 90s and early 00s, were good post-06, and are now rebuilding. Made the finals once the finals once since Dolan bought the team.
    Islanders sucked for a long long time and are only now a respectable team again with new owners, so maybe they're the bright spot in NY.
    Devils suck since Brodeur retired.
    Giants won two SBs under current ownership, but have pretty much been a mess since they won in 2011.

4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Rangers are lucky Dolan doesn't give a shit about them. It seems like he lets his hockey people run the show but meddles in the Knicks business. One could make an argument that the Knicks aren't an NBA team they are run so poorly.

Jets81 likes this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Same here. That is why I hope its the "kiss of death" vote of confidence. If he really means it then we (fans) are screwed.

7. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong, I want Gase gone, but does it really matter? What “real” HC is coming?

8. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I HATE Mac, and I have some fondness for Gase because he got rid of him. That said, the fact that he wouldn’t even go on camera during the draft, should have set off alarms. I’ve never heard of a HC doing that before! Speaks to his immaturity and temperament.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Johnsons don't hire "real" HC candidates.. At least ones with prior success as HC.

FrontOfficeFanatic and Since1969 like this.
  10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

The best thing Gase has done for this team is helping get Joe Douglas here, Douglas has been impressive since coming here:

1) Great communicator (unlike his friend Gase)
    2) Great at trading and dealing with other GM's around the league
    3) Doesn't get too cute during draft, goes after players with ability to perform and have the right makeup
    4) No interest in splashy moves
    5) Great resume

If Gase ultimately leads us to a GM that eventually builds this program right, it would have been worth it. So let's find reason to stay optimistic.....even if it takes two years.

Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bank on Douglas being good for the simple reason that if he were good, why would he have come here? Surely other teams would have been interested in him, meaning he could have waited to end up in a much better situation. Unless he actually thought this was a good situation, in which case he's definitely incompetent.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I think that’s what a lot of people are struggling with. The idea that the team just gave up on this season.

We’re looking ahead to 2022 in week 2 of the 2020 season. It’s just crazy to think about, and yet, it’s also not.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"Johnson was asked if he regrets not firing Maccagnan sooner. The former GM was let go in May 2019 — after the Jets had already hired Gase and made their selections in the draft. Douglas wasn’t brought on until that June, thus putting him at a disadvantage when it came to building the roster his way.

This past offseason was Douglas’ first full one with New York even though this will be his second season with the team.

“'Do I wish I made the change earlier? Absolutely,' Johnson admitted, per ESPN. 'No question I’ve made mistakes. That was one of them.'”

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists...e-maccagnan-firing-sam-darnold-woody-johnson/

Save the bolded - he can recycle it when he finally wises up to Gase.

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

You make a compelling case haha

15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

He came here because we gave him a 6 year contract, giving him enough time to mold the team in his vision. Whether or not that leads to us becoming a good team year in and year out remains to be seen. History's not on his side, but he has the best resume of the GM's we've had since Parcells.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I hope that vision has always involved tanking for Trevor because by keeping Gase, he ensured Darnold is toast.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

At the same time by keeping Gase, he ensures that Trevor is also toast. At some point the Johnson's need to let Douglas bring in his own HC and they also need to STFU and GTFO of the way even though they are the owners. We all know this team will go nowhere with Gase. Step 1 fire Gase, Step 2 let Doulgas bring in his own HC. If/When that happens then I will have hope for the Jets in getting it turned around.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  18. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Exactly! Everyone saying Trevor will save us don't seem to realize we'll have the same issues with him or anyone else we bring it.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He already tried to save us, bro. And then he had his leg snapped in half.

[​IMG]

We need to stop trying to find quarterbacks with beta names like Sam and Trevor. Might be time to look for alphas like Bruce or Hank.