Will Malachi Corley Be Able to Break the 2nd Round Curse?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jul 10, 2024.

?

Will Corley Be Able to Break the 2nd Round WR Draft Curse?

1. Are you kidding, it's a slam dunk!

6.3%
  2. He has a good chance to

43.8%
  3. I'm uncertain

28.1%
  4. I doubt it

9.4%
  5. Are you freaking nuts, there's no way.

12.5%
  1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I hope Hackett gets shipped out to Siberia before the season opener. Not feeling it, but just sayin'. Why can't this team ever get out of its own way.

2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

Was gonna bring him up. Think the OP was referring to wide receivers.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. jetophile

He was, otherwise the list is more embarrassing. I feel like my feelings were being protected in some way.

Edit & P.S. because this is rich: Christian Hackenberg very recently blamed the Jets for his failure. "It was the last.place I should have gone", "they had no plan for me." I don't dispute that last part in general, but that backhanded slap is full of baseless ego and kind of hilarious. If you suck, you suck.

#23 jetophile, Jul 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    Jets79 likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The success of any receiver is mostly dependent on the QB's ability to target him. After that is when we can determine if he can play in this league.

LAJet likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This thread was based on the article that I quoted in the initial post. It wasn't talking about RB or any other position than WR. If you will look at the thread title, it clearly states "Will Malachi Corley Be Able to Break the 2nd Round WR Curse."

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Haven’t seen the full quote or interview, but crazy if he’s really blaming the Jets. Though of course BOTH can be and probably are true…the Jets did not have a clue how to develop him or any other QB since Pennington, but also true that he just sucks so bad he couldn’t even get on the field for one single play. And he couldn’t latch on to any other team either. So he is clearly the problem but the Jets are not blameless either

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. jetophile

This is not the original article I saw, I can't find it now, oh, well. The Jets are not blameless and often clueless, but why this guy thought he would have been the second coming if he landed anywhere but here is ridiculous. If you're hitting sideline reporters in the head instead of hitting your receivers, that qualifies as a you problem.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...ew-york-was-the-last-place-i-should-have-gone

Even worse were the delusional sycophants about how the Jets ruined Tim Tebow's career. Fine, they didn't use him right or what have you, but Tim Tebow SUCKED.

It was a baseless phenomenon and a weird cult, other than him leading a 95 yard scoring drive against who else? Yours truly the Jets as a Bronco. Oh, wait, also a 5 yard rushing TD against the Jets previously. Oh, the pain, but whatever.

He still sucked. Sorry for the left turn and the tangent, ha.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I’m skeptical of small school guys who win by bullying other small school guys physically. If he was a great route runner it would be a different story

I hope I’m wrong though cause he seems like a great kid

REVISion, Acad23 and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I hate to break it to you but the very basic essence of football is bullying. Barry Sanders used to steal the souls of lesser players and he was the nicest guy on the field.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes but Barry outran NFL defenders not PSAC defenders or whatever conference Corley played in

Ralebird likes this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I take issue with the bolded. I believe the Jets used Tebow exactly as they planned for him all along. His purpose was to sell PSLs and season tickets. How successful that was is unknown. I don't think that anyone at the Jets actually believed he would be a viable NFL quarterback. Even the Jets get things right occasionally.

Here's what Forbes said at the time:

The take-aways from the Jets acquisition of Tim Tebow ars as follows:

1) Off-the-field, the Jets organization - not ones to shy away from the limelight and in the shadows of their roommates' (the Giants) 2011 Super Bowl season - wanted to make a public relations and marketing splash. Mission accomplished.​

12. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I've been around long enough it's impossible to say one way or another with any degree of confidence until we see him play this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Has he signed his contract yet? If he doesn't sign his contract, he isn't going to be doing jack.

14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Well, I heard Stephen was a good fella.

jetophile likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

yea he signed today.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Thanks!

17. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

A successful receiver knows the route trees and hot routes so he’s always where the QB expects him to be. After that it’s his hands and athleticism, then it’s his QB. There are plenty of successful receivers with avg to bad QB’s.

A player like Corley requires one of two things to be successful in the NFL: a creative coach with plays plays drawn up specifically for him to exploit his athleticism (Deebo Samuel type), or the ability to learn and execute all routes quickly to be at least avg against his peers. The inability to understand and execute a full route tree has killed far more WR’s NFL hopes than bad QB’s have.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Being that he was a third round pick, I say no way.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Not feeling great about Corley at this point. Hope he performs in the regular season better than it seems he has in preseason and camp.

REVISion, Borat and Jedi mind tricks like this.
  20. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I hate to agree, because for someone that's been praised for "YAC" I don't think I've seen a play yet to justify excitement.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.