Will Jets trade down? How many times? With Who? Why? When?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Pags2112, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Will Jets trade down? How many times?

1. No.

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, we will trade down once.

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Yes, we will trade down twice.

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Yes, we will trade down three times.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. No, we want a QB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, we Hooker!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, we want Fournette!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. No, we want Adams!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. No, we want Howard!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. No, we want Lattimore!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Karma is a biatch and like you stated we could very well end up needing to trade up with the same team. It's crazy though NCJ .. I don't like to see the team lose or want the Jets to purposely Tank .. but at the same time, if Rosen, Allen or Darnold are available to be had and we do not own the 1st pick .. Maccagnan will probably have to add his first born child and a kidney in addition to the Jets farm to select one of those buggers. I'm hoping Pettenberg step up as I want all those delicious picks that can be had by selling the pick. Pettenberg really would need the FO to feel secure enough though.

#81 Pags2112, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I know Mac has distributed his own pick value chart to other teams prior to previous draft to give teams an idea of what it would take to move up or down with him. If he were to deviate severely from his own chart a team could indeed feel they were being taken advantage of and we could regret it later. I could understand a premium for within your division or some would say for a QB but again he would probably want to have the reputation of being a fair trader.

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Voting no because I'm afraid that trading down is now the premium trade in this draft and thus the price won't be worth it.

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I won't argue that. Way before Sapps comments, his motor and desire we're questioned. He is a prime example of desire. If he wants it, he can be a perennial all pro. If he tries to coas and thinks he can just turn it on at will, he will be just another player

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  5. Pags2112

Good example.

6. Pags2112

According to NFL Networks' Michael Silver the Browns contacted at least 3 teams regarding trading the 12th overall pick and moving up.

“The Browns have been doing their due diligence and investigating the possibility,” NFL Network’s Michael Silver said on Tuesday. “I’ve learned that at least three teams in the top eight have been contacted by the Browns and discussions have taken place about the prospect of moving up. Now this is something that would likely happen in real time when these teams were on the clock because obviously if the target is Mitchell Trubisky and he goes earlier than expected, then those discussions would be moot.”

The Titans have to be one of those teams that were contacted .. I'd hate to lose out on a trade down deal to the team directly ahead of us .. especially considering Cleveland has a multitude of picks and likely will overpay. The Powers That Be need to make this happen for us.

THE POWERS THAT BE[​IMG]

THE PLAYERS
    [​IMG]
    Sashi Brown
    [​IMG]
    Jon Robertson
    [​IMG]

It's crazy as I posted something just like this 4 months ago.

7. TonyFtLaud

I think the Bowns are checking out prices right now. If the Walter football report posted here was accurate, Mac may have priced us out of the trade back with Cleveland.

Pags2112 likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Why would you assume that? And not that he will not over pay for a trade down.

9. TonyFtLaud

I assume that the Brown's are checking prices to move up because the Brown's have reportedly reached out to several teams to see what they want in order for the Brown's to move up from the 12.
    I'm not sure what the highlighted portion of your question means.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are assuming Mac priced himself out of the running, I'm simply assuming he will not give up too much for the trade i.e overpaying to move down. Poor English on my part..

11. TonyFtLaud

That's what confused me. Mac would not be giving up anything to move down. He would be gaining by doing so. It was posted here that the Jets want the 12th pick, along with the first pick of rounds 2,3,and 4.
    I believe that is asking too much. The Brown's could likely move up to 5 for less.

LAJet likes this.
  12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

DISCLAIMER: if you read my mock this will be redundant

I think the Saints are another candidate for trading up. Their SB window is closing with a future HoF QB, a new future HoF RB (AP), and an overall dynamic offense but a weak D. They need to make quick improvements to their D if they want to make another SB run.

Why would they trade up with us? There should be a top flight S or CB available at #6 plus we can offer Sheldon. That's 2 impact starters for their D including 1 proven former rookie of the year.

Compensation in play is the Saints two 1st round picks this year, #11 and #32, plus a conditional 4th next year if Richardson is resigned or franchised. In exchange the Saints get #6 and Sheldon.

At #11 Jets will get BPA and #32 could be a good place to trade back again for a team like the Cards or Steelers who want to get a QB in the 1st with the 5th year option.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I don't see the NO trade happening. They'll be able to get a top LB at 11 (Riddick/Foster) and a solid CB at 32, and already have Kenny Vaccaro at SS. I don't see them moving up for Hooker at FS with his injury history.

They'll get their two impact starters in the draft and could offer us their second and a day 3 pick, plus maybe a conditional 2018 pick. If you're Mike McG and you get offered this years 2nd for Richardson with a conditional 2018 3rd/5th depending if he's on the roster for Sheldon, that's not an unfair offer.

I really doubt the Browns would take that deal. They know rebuilding is a multiyear process and aren't giving up all their depth this year and their best shot at a new franchise LT next year to get that bump. They're not giving up their 2018 first for much less than a 1-for-1 with our 6.

#93 wampa, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Hooker doesn't have an injury history. He had two surgeries following the season, but played through both injuries and neither seemed to have an adverse affect on his play. A talent like Hooker would instantly make any D much better. Richardson would make them much better vs the run. They could still grab a CB with their 2nd round pick, becauseI don't think anyone will offer their 2nd round pick for Richardson this year, much less their 2nd plus a 2018 conditional pick.

With regards to a trade with the Browns, there's no way their 2018 1st round pick has the same value as #6 this year. Future picks always have a value of one round less than the current year. In addition with the players the Browns can add this year, they record could be much better next season, making their #1 pick worth even less.

15. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

RE Browns: I'd disagree with you on the Browns angle simply because of the fact that I think that barring a truly miraculous set of circumstances for them they'll be picking in the top half of the round next year, likely the top 10. Secondly, you're wrong about the future picks always having a value of one round less than the current year. First-round picks have a really nonlinear value scale that ****s that up. It might start coming true around the third round or so, though.

RE Saints:

Hooker is great, but maybe it's just my own paranoia with injury/surgery history players in the first round there. I don't love him for NYJ so I'm projecting that onto other teams more than I should, admittedly. I started looking at a traditional trade chart and I can see why you favor the 6th overall + Sheldon for 11/32 over the trade for the second rounder - the first makes it look like Sheldon holds the value of pick ~70 for it to be a fair deal. That said, this year's chart is probably pretty nontraditional-looking for most teams.

If I'm the Saints, I'd still rather not take the deal. I really like the linebacker options at 11 and badly need help there, and I might be able to flip picks with Arizona if Cleveland hasn't picked up a QB yet and still get my guy, maybe pick up another mid-rounder. My cap situation isn't great, and I'll get a great linebacker and a solid DB at 32. Maybe I trade back in the second and offer that for Sheldon, etc.

Also worth noting generally, I think Richardson is a better trade chip than he might initially appear on day 2. There aren't many solid 3-4 DEs in this year's class, so teams looking for a final piece for an SB push can/should be interested. The big limiting factor is his salary and the fifth-year option, at the moment.

Anyway, we'll find out in about 4-5 hours. Time to end the speculation.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree. I would be very happy with 12, round 2 (1st pick) and a later round.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Happy we could reach an agreement. Now let's see if Mac and the Browns can !

LAJet likes this.