Will Jets trade down? How many times? With Who? Why? When?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Pags2112, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Will Jets trade down? How many times?

1. No.

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, we will trade down once.

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Yes, we will trade down twice.

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Yes, we will trade down three times.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. No, we want a QB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, we Hooker!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, we want Fournette!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. No, we want Adams!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. No, we want Howard!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. No, we want Lattimore!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

With no trades- I don't think he'd get past 10 to the Bills. I think the Bills are why the Browns want to move up (assuming the 49ers, Bears, Jags don't take him earlier).

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Honestly from pick 1-11 I'd say only Tennessee is out of the Equation. Every other team picking 2 -11 are in play to possibly draft Trubisky. Including the Jets.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

Agreed.

4. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments, and as a fairly green member, I appreciate the criticism and information given. As far as posting in the wrong forum, IMO the New York Jets forum is a general information forum and posting what I did, was not out of place. It was my choice to do so, as I felt it would generate more opinions posting where I did. Also, I do not see a Sticky, FAQ, or Rule that states I would have had to post my thread in the Draft forum, research for like posts (Although I will now add it to my process) or document the source (will also do) This is something I and many others do for fun, but I do see the seriousness of maintaining a tidy site, so I do appreciate the thread being moved over by a mod. Users will vary on how much time they can spend on the site, and what parts of the site they choose to navigate, so unless being made aware prior, like postings are going to happen. As far as an error for posting 4-5 days after the story broke .. I was not intending to break a story, but to contribute to the site, draw opinions and responses .. which I did. Again, thanks for the assistance.

5. Pags2112

I would hands down agree any other year but this one. It's just uncanny how deep this draft is in the areas where we need talented prospects. Of course we won't address all our needs but what team does in one draft. I just see this as a perfect draft to trade down and still acquire talent. The only thing is, as other posters have mentioned, is that we are not alone in wanting to trade down. Things will just have to line up and no one knows how it will.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If the Browns don't take Garrett at 1, they prove they deserve their title as the worst team in the NFL. Simple logic should show them that if they pass on Garrett, he WILL be taken before they get a 2nd pick, even if they trade up to the Jets, whereas, if they pass on Trubisky, there's a chance that he would still be there at 6, thus allowing them to get their franchise pass rusher and FQB in the 1st round.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At this point I'm kind of hoping they can trade down with Cleveland or NO. If they stay at 6, they'll likely take Adams or Hooker, and by the time their 2nd pick rolls around Mahomes will be gone. At 12 I think he's still there, and Macc would take him.

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I feel like the Browns will ultimately take Garrett. They will then cross their fingers and hope the 49ers don't pull any funny business and take Trubisky, which they probably wont. Trubisky will then slide down 3-4-5 into our laps. Doubt anybody else would want to jump up above us and trade for him.

So at this point we're sitting here with Clevelands franchise QB, an Ohio kid. If I were Maccagnan I would get unreasonably obnoxious.

If you want Trubisky, we're taking your 12th pick this year. And your 2nd round pick this year. And your 3rd round pick this year. And your 2018 1st round pick.

We'll see how badly they want him

9. TonyFtLaud

What if it turns out the opposite. Garrett is a bust and Trubisky turns out to be a FQB some where besides Cleveland. All the Experts who would crucify the Brown's for Drafting Trubisky, would bash them for years to come if that were the scenario.
    Right now I bet the Brown's are thinking Brown, Warren,Mingo..Quinn, Weeden, Manziel... Lol They have drafted worse than we have.
    I could see Jax trying to move up to 2 if Trubisky were to go 1. Would not be too far to move up, 49s still get who ever they are targeting plus extra picks.
    Too bad the Vikings are not at the top of the draft. I'm sure time would expire on them before their pick gets turned in.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

So when Mac hangs up with no deal who does he take at 6?

wampa and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My apologies. I re-read my comments and I thought I was unnecessarily rude. One sees so many people post repetitive threads here that it gets annoying. I don't think that was your intention and it is easy to miss something buried from 4 or 5 days ago.

TonyFtLaud, Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

True, but I would be shocked beyond words if Garrett busts. I just can't see that happening. Draft picks don't get much safer than Garrett.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. Being tough and getting as much as one can is one thing. Being obnoxious is another. What goes around, comes around. It's a small league. If Mac is a total jerk, not only would Cleveland likely not deal with us (or be just as obnoxious and demanding in return), but other teams would take the same stance. Since we may be wanting to trade up for a QB in next year's draft, I think we ought to keep that in mind. If Mac truly does want to move down, then the important thing is actually coming to an agreement and getting fair value. It would not be worth it to be a dick, wind up not being able to trade down, and then have teams be dicks to us next season when we're looking to trade up.

Pags2112 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I wouldnt be shocked if he's a bust.... He's the best player in this draft but he's far from a sure thing. He relies on his athleticism so it could be different when he's not having a huge athletic advantage like in college. Also, he's not that stout against the run either so if he ends up struggling as a pass rusher he will end up busting. Injuries can happen, who knows.

Pags2112 likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Would love to get the Browns 1st in 2018 out of them in a Trubisky deal.

We should let them keep the 12 and take the 33, 52, 108 and 2018 1st instead. Lots of depth in this draft and we'd have 33, 39, 52, 70 and 107 on day 2 and the first pick on day 3.

Pags2112 likes this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

I agree, but it would not be the first time a sure thing in the draft didn't pan out. There are so many variables.
    Desire and heart can't be measured and it's usually the deciding factor once these young kids get to the NFL.

NCJetsfan and Pags2112 like this.
  17. Pags2112

Agreed Browning, I've seen most of Garretts film of the past two years and although I saw a productive NFL player, he's on my overrated list along with Taco Charlton. Personally I think Solomon Thomas and Derreck Barnett will be equally as productive. Actually most of the Edge/3-4LB's coming out of the SEC are of high quality. I think the talent in this years draft that will be available in rounds 2 & 3 is underrated and a lot of prospects will have surprising success. There is good value to be had in said rounds such as Demarcus Walker, Tak McKinley and both Alabama LB's Anderson and Williams. The prospect who surprised me most though was TJ Watt .. I'd be ecstatic if we got our hands on him. I think he's very versatile and underrated. Looking at his 2016 film, he just seemed to be involved in some way or another every other play.

#77 Pags2112, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  18. Pags2112

That comment actually can be argued watching his film .. to me it just seems as if he's just interested in rushing the passer and nothing else. I didn't see the desire to get overly involved and pursue plays. Of course, your going to be stood up and blocked more than your going to make a play, but the other Edge/3-4 LB's stood out way more on film to me. Wether it was pursuit or dropping back in coverage, whatever .. they all just seemed to be more involved.

19. Pags2112

Telling you Brad .. and this draft is deep in areas where we lack talent and depth. Talent pushes talent and competition at multiple positions is something we are lacking, which is why trading down and acquiring more picks to me is so important. At this point given the state of the team, I prefer to raise our overall level of talent rather then adding a piece or two. Using ourselves as proof and given the depth of talent in this draft, 1st rounders are not sure things, give me a handful more Day 2 picks and lets select quality in quantity. Just my opinion.

#79 Pags2112, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. Pags2112

Hey Noam .. no worries and thanks man.

TonyFtLaud likes this.