Will Jets trade down? How many times? With Who? Why? When?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Pags2112, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Will Jets trade down? How many times?

1. No.

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, we will trade down once.

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Yes, we will trade down twice.

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Yes, we will trade down three times.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. No, we want a QB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, we Hooker!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, we want Fournette!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. No, we want Adams!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. No, we want Howard!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. No, we want Lattimore!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Haslam was the guy who insisted on Johnny 8 ball.
    If it fills the seat$ must be the right choice.
    Was Woody his mentor?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Haslam is going to have to give his FO their choice given the wealth in picks. If he vetos Garret he is vetoing Moneyball and odds are pretty good he starts losing people from the FO after that. They're only there to do one thing and if that thing is sabotaged by a capricious owner they'll bail.

This does however increase the chances they will take Garret and then trade up at whatever cost to get Trubisky also. They might even blow a bunch of picks to move into the 2 or 3 spot.

Owners meddling in the evaluation process is really bad if they're not named Al Davis or Jerry Jones.

3. TonyFtLaud

The FO is also lobbying for Trubisky.
    Reports are that the Moneyball metrics value QB much more than DE.
    It's currently the FO and owner vs the Coaching staff.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If that's the case then either the Browns are running a game trying to get somebody to move up or they're taking Trubisky. Coaching staff of a 1-15 team doesn't carry much weight in the draft room.

5. TonyFtLaud

Don't know how much of that 1-15 record falls on the coaching staff. Not much of a roster to coach.
    It's going to be an interesting couple of hours on Thursday night.

6. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Part of the reason you haven't seen anything like this posted here is because ganggreen has an entire forum dedicated to the Jets draft. There are several discussions and polls on this very subject there posted weeks/months ago. I posted one like 3 weeks ago with a poll. below is a link if you want to check it out. 60+ votes thats pretty good considering that forum is a lot less frequented than this side

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/6th-pick.88321/#post-3563018

Brook! and Noam like this.
  7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think we may trade down once, I just don't know in which round. I think that the Browns will have to get up higher than the Jets in order to secure Garrett and Trubisky

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

While I agree with you he posted in the wrong forum I am not sure your thread is on point. There are actually two threads on point to this discussion, posted in the correct forum, that deal with the Jets Browns trade rumors and I believe even one of them if not both actually contain links to the article that originated the Browns trade rumor from walterfootball.com. There are 3 errors by the OP, posting in the wrong forum, not adequately checking for previous posts and not documenting sources. Maybe even a fourth in posting it 4 or 5 days after the story brokr. But againas he said he did have plenty of options in his poll.

I also agree with you that there are a lot less people posting here and I would argue the quality of discussiob is a lot worse There are many reasons I can see for this drop in quality. Posting lazy and repetitive threads may not be the direct cause but it certainly doesn't help improve the quality of the board.

#48 Noam, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

:confused: Whoa! Can you imagine if the owner/FO get their way and the Browns take Trubisky? They'd lose Garrett for certain. Then if Trubisky turned out to be a bust and Garrett a star, Cleveland might never recover.

The Niners might be offered a king's ransom for their pick so teams could take Garrett. As much as I think I'd love to have him on the Jets, in that scenario, I'd sure that the Jets wouldn't be one of those teams.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the browns aren't serious about trubisky at no.1. its all BS

Brook! likes this.
  11. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

It would cause each team to readjust targets, but from a point standpoint Clev 12,33,52 for Jets 6,39 is closer. 32 would still give advantage of moving down on day 2 when teams think of someone who dropped to top of the second.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think they're gonna try. All indications are that Maccagnan wants to. I wish he wouldn't have come out and said that we're open for business. That diminishes the value of the pick. We should've protected it like we're dying to use it on a quarterback, rather than try to open the floodgates.

The worst thing can happen is getting housed in a trade down trade where we don't get 33 or at least 3-4 picks. If we were smart we would start falling in love with quarterbacks right about now. Or throw the Bears and 9ers a 7th round to do so lol.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What? That's not fair at all. We don't give up 6 if they want our second rounder. Whatsoever. We have the upper hand. We can gladly stay where we are and take the 6th best football player.

I'll add that I hate the draft value chart. It was created as a scheming chart. I wonder if general managers use it in negotiations. If I'm a GM I take a hard stance and say if you want 6 throw out the chart and you're overpaying or we're trading it to someone else and you can kiss Trubisky goodbye.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Bullshit.
    If Browns want to trade up, they want to do it for future QB. For QB there are no charts; they'll pay what Mac wants them to pay. They are certainly not getting our 39.

That said, if Browns think one of the QBs is THE man - just select him with 1st overall.

15. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. JetsfanHBca

JetsfanHBca Active Member

Way too many teams are trying to trade back and that does dilute or rather readjust the value of the top picks.

I don't see a mortgage the future of the franchise type of trade happening this year. More less teams should be going off the standard draft pick value In years past it seems like the top players have been so hyped that it over valued the first couple of picks.

That said the Jets are in decent shape to get a deal done with the browns because:
    Most NFL annalists seem to believe that if the Browns pass on a QB at #1 then the next team looking to draft a QB is the Jets at 6 (Boo!)
    So from the Browns stand point why over pay for the #2 or 4 when in theory the #6 should cost less. Sure there is totally a chance that another team could trade up as well but I think a Jets/Browns deal only gets done if the Jets are on the clock and No QB taken.

I also think that the reported 6 for 12 & 33 is a not going to happen. Something like 6 for 12 & 52 is closer to being equal according the draft pick value chart. Since its for a QB maybe a little more to the Jets.

I want the trade to be #6 for #12, 52 & 108

That would give the Jets

Round 1 Pick 12 (CLE)
    Round 2 Pick 7
    Round 2 Pick 20 (CLE)
    Round 3 Pick 6
    Round 3 Pick 43 (COMP)
    Round 4 Pick 1 (CLE) 1st pick day 3
    Round 5 Pick 6
    Round 6 Pick 7
    Round 7 Pick 6

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I believe Trubisky will be there at pick number 12 if the Browns want him and I also believe the Browns know this

18. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

#6 for #12, #33 - Is a reasonable trade that I believe we can make happen if we're on the clock and Trubisky is still there. I think this is also also the better scenario than selecting at #6

#6 for #12, #52 - For this trade scenario I'd just rather retain #6 and get Fournette or Hooker.

19. TonyFtLaud

Any other team and I'd agree. But the Brown's are capable of anything.

20. TonyFtLaud

I think Trubisky is first QB drafted, only once in the past 15 years has a QB not been a top 10 pick. No way he falls to 12, he may not be available for us at 6. Every year the QBs climb up the board, this off season had little avail for QB needy teams and there are plenty of teams in need of a QB.