Will Jets trade down? How many times? With Who? Why? When?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Pags2112, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Will Jets trade down? How many times?

1. No.

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, we will trade down once.

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. Yes, we will trade down twice.

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  4. Yes, we will trade down three times.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. No, we want a QB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, we Hooker!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, we want Fournette!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. No, we want Adams!

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  9. No, we want Howard!

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  10. No, we want Lattimore!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Meh. These trade scenarios almost never happen. This is the usual noise prior to draft day.

FJF likes this.
  2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The fact that we're hearing about it now, leads me to believe that there is a less than 1% chance this actually happens.

I would be ecstatic if it happened, but it makes more sense for Cleveland to jump up to 5, since the Jets seem to be interested in Trubisky as well.

#22 jcass10, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Assuming the rumors are actually true, it's unlikely to happen since there's enough competition to drive down the price to the point of potentially not being worth it. Still, Mac will do due diligence and explore all options.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Why would it make more sense to trade up to 5? If they are worried the Jets want Trubisky, the trade to 6 means the Jets can't take him, no need to go to 5.

5. jcass10

Because if the Jets really love Trubisky, obviously they wont be trading the 6. You don't trade the pick, if you think you can get a franchise QB.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It becomes an issue if the Browns are willing to roll the dice that the Jets aren't bluffing them.

7. The Waterboy

"Seem to be interested" and "really love" are worlds apart, of course you don't trade the pick if you think you can get a FQB, luckily there isn't a sure fire FQB in the draft so they can trade back and get more picks.

8. The Waterboy

What becomes an issue and what are they bluffing then about?

Are you trying to say the Jets are truly holding out for the 12,33 and another pick and because of that they jump them to trade up to 5? That would cost them more obviously.

9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the Jets either just take a chance on Tribusky at 6, or trade back...

My biggest concern is the Browns moving up to 5, as that likely takes both those options off the table.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sorry after rereading, my post did not come out the way I intended, at all. No wonder you don't understand, damn.

What I meant is the Browns might not be willing to wait til 6 for Trubisky with the chance that the Jets are bluffing them. Jets very well could be inititiating talks with the Browns with the hope that they do not trade ahead of them to select Trubisky before them.

I do not really think this is the case as I don't believe the Jets would select Trubisky at 6 but it is possible and the days leading up to the draft teams get very paranoid.

11. jcass10

This is in the eye of the beholder, though. I agree with you, but its not inconceivable that there is a team that loves one of these guys.

If the Browns think there is a chance the Jets might be interested in Trubisky, I would think they would look to trade with Tennessee.

Having said that, I hope I'm wrong. I would love for an additional second rounder.

12. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Just too many teams who want to do the same, trade down and accumulate picks.

FJF likes this.
  13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Genuinity?

abyzmul likes this.
  14. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

I think the point being made is that if they offer us 12 and 33. That means they also would have offered that for 5. Do you think the titans would turn that down?

They aren't just going to wait for 6 out of the goodness of their hearts. Whatever is offered to us will probably be offered for 2 3 4 and 5. And to get to us each of them have to turn that down

15. The Waterboy

I just hope they are able to trade down, twice even, certainly don't want them to take Trubisky at 6.

Pags2112 likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I voted for once. I think they may trade down once, but that may not be in the first round. I would be surprised if Mac traded down multiple times in the first round, and I hope that he doesn't unless he gets blown away with great deals that are just too good to turn down each time.

If they do trade down in the 1st round, I hope it is only once. I think trading down more than that would not be in their best interests. That's getting a bit greedy imo, and the talent level drops as one gets lower in the first round. At #6 if Adams or Hooker is there, they almost certainly get a perennial Pro Bowler, if not All Pro, and even possibly a HOFer. At #12 they could get an almost sure-thing starter at a position of need. The further they trade down, the lesser the chances the player will be an impact-type player. More is not always better. Look at Parcells draft where he traded down 2-3 times in the first round and passed up two HOF LTs and wound up with meh in the first round and a bunch of crap afterwards. Think about Idzik's 2014 draft. Hopefully, Mac would do a lot better, but there are no guarantees.

I don't think all the Jets' needs can be addressed in this draft. Part of the reason I constructed my mock draft the way I did was to see how effectively one could try to address all the needs. As several responders pointed out, I may not have gotten the best value or BPA. IMO the Jets need playmakers or stars on both sides of the ball, players who will have a true impact on the team's play and make the others around them better. One usually only gets those types early in the first round. One then needs to get those types while one has the opportunity. I'd take Adams or Hooker over two lesser players who may wind up as just solid starters, if that.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Wow! That would be something!!!!

18. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

How about this trade?

Cleveland gets 6th overall and Richardson
    Jets gets 12th, 33rd, 108th and 2018 third

Pags2112, NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Sign me up please.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Supposedly there's a major rift in the organization right now. The coaching staff want Garrett and the owner and FO are pushing Trubisky. Could be a smoke screen but makes little sense unless they think one of the top 3-teams would offer a fortune to move up to the 1.
    Going to be interesting come Thursday.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.