Will Jets fans boo if the team picks Mayfield over Rosen?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Assuming fans share the same feeling as people here I don't think there will be much booing as long as the pick is not Allen. Lots of people will be unhappy regardless of who is picked. Baker and Rosen seem to be the most popular and liked picks on this board but Baker is very polarizing. Outside of Allen there are more people who dislike him here than any other QB and the level of dislike for Baker is rather large. If we end up with Darnold I could see some booing. Picking Darnold might be less popular but there seem to be a less people here that hate Darnold. My guess is drafting Rosen would make the most people here happy.

The real booing starts when whatever QB we takes starts to play. Then the people with axes to grind will come out with their I told you not to take him arguments just as we see all we should have drafted Mahomes or Watson last year posts and how we have we seen a million posts the last 10 years about how we should have drafted Ed Reed rather than BT. In hindsight everyone is a genius.

#41 Noam, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just to amplify this thought, most QB's have a rough entry to the NFL in the first 3 or 4 games they play. Not enough output or too many turnovers is generally what that looks like.

Both Manning brothers lost a bunch of games their rookie year after being thrown on the field. The Jets have a good situation in this regard because they have at least one veteran to take the early snaps. I wouldn't rush the rookie out there unless it is clear he is ready to go and the last person who knows whether he is good to go is the rookie himself.

NYJetsO12, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  3. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think there are big benefits in letting a rookie sit a year, two or three aka Pennington, Rodgers, Brady and so on. Rushing a young guy onto the field cannot only expose him to hits and injury but can ruin his confidence. I am a big believer in waiting until they are ready then wait a little longer. Playing QB is mainly mental and getting used to the speed of the game. Putting in someone who is not prepared does them no favors and may regress their development. Geno would have been a lot better off and may not have unraveled mentally so much if McElroy had not gotten hurt and the jets had let him sit a year or two. Although some rookies (Hackenburg) may never be ready.

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The stupid fans will boo. We all have our players that we like or dislike but the fact of the matter is not enough information is available to us. If Mayfield is picked instead of Rosen I will think there is a reason that I don’t know about why he was picked before Rosen, we have no idea how the meetings with players go.

I take it back to picking Hill over Jeffrey. I was angry at the selection. Years later reports came out that Jeffrey fell asleep during a meeting with Jets so while in hindsight it ended up being a terrible decision at the time can you really blame the Jets for not going with the player that fell asleep during a job interview?

The draft is a cruel game. Without having all the information I’d take Rosen over Mayfield but they are close enough in talent that I’d support whichever ends up being the pick and hope like crazy that whichever it is works out in the end.

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I often wonder what the perception of the NY Jets organization is from the insiders, draftees, players, coaches, scouts, etc. We know the facilities are first rate, but what about ownership, coaches, front office personnel, the way things are done? In short, what about the intangibles that makes a player really want to give it everything he's got to play for a specific team? I honestly don't know. Maybe falling asleep during an interview is a player's way of saying please don't draft me, I really don't want to play for this organization.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

7. "My Favorite" is Martin

If the Pats somehow draft Rosen I may actually stop watching football.

Cidusii, ColoradoContrails and Poeman like this.
  8. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I will be happy with Mayfield, but I don't want Rosen on the Bills, Dolphins, or Patriots at all.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You couldn't be more wrong imo. Your prototypical QB is bigger than Rosen and doesn't have the injury history. Rosen could be gone in a year or two due to concussions or to his throwing shoulder getting trashed again. I think Mayfield will be a better pro as well. IMO Mayfield has the least chance of being a bust of any QB in the draft.

10. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Terrible logic. I evicerated McCagnan for drafting Hackenberg two years ago, and do I look dumb today? Nope, hes the one with egg on his face.

The problem with these guys is that they have way too much information and they psych themselves out. Gil Brandt who revolutionized scouting and said that Rosen is one of the better prospects at QB to come around in the past ten years. Why? Because prospects with similar attributes to Rosen have mostly been successful.

If McCagnan thinks Mayfield is going to be one of the 5% of QBs at his size to be successful at the next level so be it. That pick along with Hackenberg will be his legacy.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus to that

It's a shame but the FO has a plan to cripple Teddy B and put McCown into early retirement with a suspect OL

People will be happy for a moment for Rosen but once he gets hurt, (I hope not )it will dawn on them how Fragile he is

If Mac doesn't protect a Glass Cannon it's a wasted pick imo

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

What Jet fans, the draft is in Texas? However, if there were any they might boo if they pick Rosen over Mayfield.

13. abc

abc Well-Known Member

Will Jets fans boo if the team picks Mayfield over Rosen?

nope

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It seems like that at every draft I've watched, there are a crowd of ignorant Jets fans who boo whatever the pick is. Undoubtedly, there will be some of those cretins there next Thursday night. Unless they're ignorant, no one should boo taking Mayfield over Rosen. We don't know how the interviews went, how their whiteboard work went, the exact kind of offense the Jets will be running, what their plan is for the OL and offense in general over the next year or two, what the Jets value most/want in a QB/face of the franchise, how much input the Johnsons had, etc.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

When you talk about prototypes you don’t really use injury history as a metric.

Height, arm, accuracy, moxy, the eye test essentially.

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Yes.

#56 joe, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    xxedge72x likes this.