Will Darron Lee be there at 20?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by RubenDias, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean you can stop reading after they mention Christian Hackenberg as "overrated." I'll be shocked if a team uses anything higher than a 5th on him.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

The only place 4-3 linebackers fit in the 3-4 is at the inside linebacker spot. Guys that are 230-245 will get blown out of the play at the outside linebacker spots in the 3-4 defense lining up directly over tackles.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind is someone is not locked into anything once drafted. Smaller Guys like Lee and Floyd would play multiple roles in our defense. Possibly inside in the traditional 3-4. Outside on Obvious passing downs in the 3-4, OLB in our 4-3 nickle sets, or possibly split out wide in coverage in Dime situations.

One thing I like about Bowles as opposed to Rex, he is not locked into one mindset on defense and will play to his players strengths.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

I agree. It's just tough to imagine a 230 pound inside linebacker making any sort of impact in the pass rushing department. He could be an excellent player and a great blitzer but he wouldn't be someone to be counted on to provide an exterior rush IMO.

I haven't seen him play a ton, but I'm all for adding a good football player in particular at the linebacker spot. I'd rather draft the #3 ILB than the #6 OT or OLB.

5. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I prefaced my comment with whether TB likes him and whether he thinks he can utilize him. That's what matters. Not strict adherence to old formats designated by 3-4 4-3, that are not necessarily the direction the league, or direction we are taking. I'm looking at guys who can play, not schemes.

We gonna get some LB's that can actually cover somebody? Or no? Consider the competition also.

We need Linebackers, obviously. It's up to TB how he wants to use them. Considering the makeup of the DL is also a factor. It's interesting to me if TB is interested in smaller faster guys

There's gonna be LB's available. I'm throwing out the possibilities and options. Each guy is different and there may be a choice to be made. The fit in a standard 3-4, 4-3 may not mean anything.
    Look our past few D picks in the first round. It's about good players first. I'm considering who they may judge to be a good player first

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think Darron Lee is even the best Ohio State LB in this draft, let alone a top 20 pick in this draft.

He is an athlete, great, but the things you want from a LB he lacks in many areas.

Poor Tackler
    Poor Instincts
    Poor Awareness
    Poor Gap Control

He is undersized, he will get eaten up against bigger and stronger OL, his tackling technique will make him a liability, etc..

I wouldn't draft Lee in the first, I think he was over-rated at OSU and I think he is over-rated in this year's draft.

We shall see.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

There is something to be said for playing guys in their natural positions, I remember Farrior playing well for the jets as an OLB and ILB, but he flourished with the steelers when they let him play his natural position of ILB.

Moving players around might work for a little while, but in the long run, drafting players that have heart and the right skill set for their position is the way to build a team.

Hybrid players are not the norm, but the exception.

8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

At this point we need to worry about our OLBs covering Gronk and Bennett.

Who are the best OLBs for that task?

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments on Lee. I love his speed and athleticism, but the 4 things you mentioned are more important, especially instincts. Theoretically, at least, he could improve his tackling technique and become a much better tackler, but if he didn't in a high profile program like OSU's, then I have my doubts if he will in the NFL, although I have heard questions and negative comments before regarding Urban Meyer's CS and the jobs they do developing players.

10. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily OLB's. It's also about covering RB's. That's where we get killed a lot also. It's not a strength of Harris', and Davis was downright awful, pretty much clueless. Watching Davis, Coples, Harris, et al. out of their element was an obvious flaw. Maybe the only LB they have right now that has a chance is Henderson....maybe. Range, athleticism, and covering may be strengths of Lee's. You need guys like that in the middle of the field nowadays

We need an upgrade at LB across the board. Especially at speed and athleticism. Every team covets, and needs an OLB pass rusher, it goes without saying.
    The main point is I don't see Mac drafting an OLB 'pass rusher' unless the players rates the position at 20 in his mind. Not anyone else's. He may have a couple of LB's rated as better players. ILB is a need for us also.

Mac needs to get a player with this first pick. You reach for an outside pass rusher here, and he doesn't get that done, and he can't hold the edge, you're fucked

Get good players first. They need good players and depth. Not how they compare to anyone else, or what their perceived fit is. Consider ST's, and versatility also.
    We're big and slow and lack depth. What are we gonna be two years from now?

#30 Walt White, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.