Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We can have everything!!!

But imo, if we have Sauce and Reed as the foundation, Carter in the slot and the other young kid from last year, we have a pretty good rotation and foundation…. But more importantly, I think a starting NFL CB with dirt cheap for 2 years is worth a 2023 #3.

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I paid my dues decades ago when the price was cheaper. I cut that out when they pissed me off too many times.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. KingRoach

Lol. When I read what you were replying to, your question comment made much more sense. My bad.

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Definitely not absurd. JD structured his deal as a 2 year deal

5. KingRoach

A 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd year.

If he plays the same as last year, 100% cut
    If he plays like he’s has every other year of his career, I’d bet we’re picking up the 3rd year.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think they should double dip on WR. This is a good draft for that.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  7. boozer32

Well, we aren't going to get it all this year with Douglas one starter a year draft strategy.

8. boozer32

Really? Everyone was thrilled when Douglas traded back and still able to get him in the 2nd round. His rookie year was decent with a scrub QB. Then you get Saleh and LaFleur and all of a sudden he can't see the field. In his 2 years, he is the Jet's only deep threat with bombs of 30 and 40 yards. I'm saying Saleh and LaFleur are the problem. Fans need to stop blaming Mims cause nobody was off the Mims train prior to 2022.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a talent vs scheme mismatch. What the Jets want to run is an offense where they run the ball some and throw underneath passes and have the receivers run the ball some.

What they drafted last year was a QB that wants to go bombs away after the running game has drawn the defense up. Mims would fit that game plan but he doesn't really fit the dink and run that the Jets want to go with.

There's a reason Mike White passed for 405 yards in his first start while executing the offense the Jets want to run and it had a lot to do with his receivers and RB's getting yards after the catch.

I really hope I'm wrong on this but I think the Jets have Zach Wilson tied to the railroad tracks and there's an express on the way.

boozer32 likes this.
  10. boozer32

Good points then they are probably looking at Burks and London in this draft.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Burks is one of the few guys who would be fine with either Wilson or White at QB. I think he probably has special value for the Jets given their likely Todd/Robinson problem.

If the Jets had a good distributor at QB, a real starting QB who could handle the simple stuff, the draft would be wide open for them at WR. It's the reality that they have a bomber as the main guy and a relatively weak-armed distributor as the second guy and both likely injury-prone that has them puckering when they sit.

12. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

So after this upcoming year? Ok makes a little more sense now.

Rockinz likes this.
  13. KingRoach

Huh? Are you saying we got 1 starter out of last years draft?

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Mims looked like he didn’t even belong on the field in 2021, his rape is atrocious. I’m not saying cut him by any means but he needs to show up to camp ready to rock and roll and show something.

EDIT: my phone changed tape to rape and I’m absolutely leaving that error there lol

#374 NYJFOREVER, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    boozer32, REVISion and KingRoach like this.
  15. Rockinz

Yes, after this season he can be cut without any cap issues.

16. Rockinz

Wouldn’t shock me. I think he needs to perform on the field for it. I like that he has that incentive. Hopefully it drives him

KingRoach likes this.
  17. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The Jets have shied away from picking Big 10 in JD’s early tenure... so with that in mind - I see these as possibly being on the radar:

Williams - suspect he could be the guy at 10.

London - love his size, hate his inability to separate, could end up another Mims (I do think he’s better).

Burks - film is awesome + explosive, but not sure if he is worthy of top 10 pick as he’s not refined.

and round 2 Christian Watson due to high RAS score.

18. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

Mike White 405 yards happened more due to the Bengals' inability to adjust, White's limitations and Davis being out. The Jets offense with Flacco and Josh Jackson was not the same as it was with White and if the goal was to play the Mike White style, why would you bring Flacco back to be the #2?

I think it's fair to question whether the LaFleur offense is going to maximize Wilson. I think there's enough evidence to suggest that they don't want to be the extreme dink and dunk of Mike White either.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

His friend told him that btw

20. boozer32

LOL, I had to read it twice. I thought that might have been some new analytics term.

NYJFOREVER likes this.