Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We had the QB with the worst statistics.

I sucked my first 9 days on the job, too. If we have the same problem next off-season, we can talk.

This is an offensive scheme that sent Mike White to the hall of fame, I think we’ll be OK - if not, it’s supposed to be a good QB class next year.

2. KingRoach

It sounds like you want a better defense.

Maybe even a RB

It will be nice not to have to pass constantly bc we’re behind.

LAJet likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First of all, how many WRs has Douglas drafted? It's hardly like drafting a DT every year. Second, a stud WR makes a bigger impact than a DT. And no, I'm not saying that a stud DT does not make an impact, but look at what happens when a team adds a dynamic weapon like a stud WR. We don't have one yet. Maybe Moore becomes one, but he isn't yet. Until we have at least one of those, we need to keep swinging.

REVISion likes this.
  4. KingRoach

2. He’s drafted 2 in the 2nd round 2 years in a row. I’m suggesting 3 years in a row is unnecessary.

I know we could use a stud WR, we tried to add a stud WR this off-season but struck out.

In a couple weeks the best we can hope for is a potential stud WR and as you mention, we already have 1 of those.

I’m sure you’ve heard the analysts decree this WR class as soft at the top but very deep.

I certainly won’t be mad regardless of who JD drafts but I’d rather address the positions we need as opposed to the positions we might need.

LAJet likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

How do you figure he's "...spent so many valuable resources at the Wide Receiver position."? But for the sake of argument, let's say I agree that he has. Do we have a quality WR room for all of that? Yes or no? If no, then he has to continue trying to add quality there, whether you think he sucks at identifying talent or not. Either that or he has to resign. Do you think he's going to do that?

And let's stop playing this "we need to balance the picks out" game. No, we don't. We need to add talent where it's needed the most. If for now that means adding more offense, then that's what has to happen, it has nothing to do with "fairness", and treating the offense and defense equally.

As it happens, we DO need to add some studs to the "D", particularly an Edge and someone to help shore up the run defense. That could be a DT, and/or it could be a LB, or both depending on how the board breaks down. But if we don't ensure that Zach has good - at least - protection, and a good - at least - running game, and at least one stud WR and TE to throw to, having a top 10 "D" won't much matter.

Will-I-Am-Not and REVISion like this.
  6. KingRoach

I’m not a fan of drafting for need. That’s how bad picks are made.

Many agreeable points in your last paragraph.

NFL players need time to develop. WR is a position that notoriously takes a couple years for (most) players to meet their potential. Add that to the fact we have a complicated offense for the position and I’d prefer to give our current selections time before I can get on board with another premium or super premium pick on the position. For the record, I believe Moore is a stud WR and he has the stats to back it up.

OLine, stud WR, pass catching TE, solid run game sounds like a good plan. Who’s the other half of our RBBC? Are you happy with him?

7. ColoradoContrails

One of the WRs he drafted in the mid-2nd round - hardly a premium pick - was Mims who has yet to show he belongs on the field. I'm sure Douglas isn't happy about that, but he has to face the facts of that. The second WR he took in the 2nd round - Moore - looks to have been a real find, but he's been injured and we don't know for sure how good he'll be. At this point we CAN say that he's no Tyreek Hill. And that's the caliber of WR Douglas need to add.

And we haven't spent a 1st round pick on a WR in over two decades! Let that sink in. That said, that doesn't mean we should spend the #4 or the #10 on a WR, and maybe even if JD trades back later into round 1, maybe even then he doesn't take one and waits until #35/38 to get one. But if he does that, I really hope that he's already gotten a stud in a trade.

If you don't think we definitely need a stud WR, IDK know what to tell you. There's no "might" about it.

Borat and REVISion like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

No, you can't just "draft for need", but you can't ignore it either, that's how Macc set this franchise back almost a decade. His "BPA all day, every day" philosophy ignored need. Famously he ignored the need of a FQB when he could've had Mahomes or Watson, and instead took who he considered to be the BPA - Adams. It was a colossal error. Another error was in taking Leo Williams because he was the "BPA" ignoring that he wasn't a good fit for the 3-4 defense Bowles ran. Then he took Q. Williams, another "BPA" when we had a screaming need for an Edge not another DT.

The point is that you can't just say "I'm going to take the BPA" when it's my pick" because that's how you wind up with no FQB and TWO Safeties and multiple DTs and no Edge rushers. OTOH, you don't over reach because you need a certain position filled. Smart GMs know how to balance all of this. Macc was not a smart GM.

No, I'm NOT happy with the RB room, and I hope they find one in the 3rd/4th round because there's a couple of really good ones.

9. KingRoach

Of course we need a stud WR, that’s why we took Elijah Moore. If you can’t tell how good he is by watching him last season, idk what to say.

I really think you’re overblowing the whole 2 decades thing. Good FOs find stud receivers outside the 1st round every year. I’m not trying to defend the previous FOs; they were all horrible.

If you believed as I do- that Moore is a stud and our FO and scouts are good at their job- would you still want a WR with a truly premium pick?

10. ColoradoContrails

Absolutely! Believing that Moore is going to be in the class of Tyreek Hill, and the elite WRs in the league is one thing, but until he does that, the Jets need one of those. The best thing in my book is for JD to pull a trade for someone like that before the draft so that he doesn't have to use a first round pick on a WR, and possibly not even one of the 2nd rounders. But failing that, yes he absolutely need to use one of those 4 picks on the best WR he can get.

PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

So you think first and second round picks are of equal value. Good to know.

Pretty funny you'll take a patently absurd and blatantly false stance rather than just admit you got a little carried away with an analogy.

12. KingRoach

I agree with most of what you’re saying but I’m bored so I’m just going to address what I disagree with lol.

Mac was horrible but the team wasn’t in good shape when he came in.

He didn’t feel he needed a QB when Mahomes and Watson came out and I’m sure he knew the next year was going to be a stronger class featuring a young stud from USC. As a fan of football, I’m relieved the Jets didn’t get Mahomes or Watson; We were a shit franchise from the top. Getting one of those keeps Mac here and is mired in mediocrity for a generation.

-you don't over reach because you need a certain position filled-.

It’s said to me a soft WR class at the top, maybe drafting one at 10 is the overreach you’re referencing.

In my mocks, I’ve gone from taking Algier (sp?) in the 4th to Pierce in the 3rd to Walker in the 2nd. This class is so deep, i wouldn’t be surprised if we trade for a 7th just to draft a RB.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

You're in good company there:

Next Thursday through Saturday, in the Jets' meeting room during the NFL Draft, don't expect general manager Mike Maccagnan or anybody else to openly discuss how badly the team must fill a need at a certain position.

That goes completely against Maccagnan's philosophy, as he explained Friday at his pre-draft press conference.

These are topics Maccagnan has covered before -- that he prefers to fill positional needs through pro free agency, and that he would rather pick the best player available in the draft than select based heavily on positional need.

He offered even deeper insight Friday into his thought process, as the draft approaches. He made it clear he isn't a fan of attempting to fill needs exclusively via the draft.

"To me, it's one of those pet peeves," he said. "Need and the draft, I've seen a lot of mistakes being made over the years with that. So I've been very diligent, when I'm given this opportunity [as a rookie GM], I'm going to try to keep it as separate as possible.

14. KingRoach

I know I keep repeating it but there are 0 stud NFL WRs that can be had in a few weeks. There are stud NCAAF WRs, there are stud WR PROSPECTS, but 0 Stud NFL WRs.

You yourself say Moore needs to prove he’s a stud. The handful of games he killed it weren’t enough proof, fair enough. Why is the guy who’s never stepped on a NFL field a stud but the guy who racked up 140+ yds against Miami isn’t?

15. KingRoach

I never said they were equal value. I mentioned that picks in the 1st 2 rounds are considered premium picks. I didn’t know you didn’t know that. I thought it was widely accepted amongst football fans.

I came up with a whole subsystem for you so you can say “we’ve used premium picks, but never super premium picks!!”

16. KingRoach

Ok. Cool. You think NFL teams should draft for need. I think drafting for need makes teams take subpar talent.

(was that supposed to be a gotcha moment?)

17. ColoradoContrails

I'll answer your question with a question: Why was Ja'Marr Chase drafted at #5 and Moore taken 29 spots later? Now I'll answer it for you: the level of belief in their ability to succeed in the NFL. There were 33 players picked before Moore, and while being picked at #34 isn't a black mark it shows there was doubt. Further proof of that doubt is how many people were surprised at just how well he did play once he got on the field for the Jets.

To your point that there are no guarantees - I'm presuming that's what you meant - on drafted players, that's true, which is again why I really hope JD trades for a stud before the draft. But if you're a competent GM, the odds favor you taking a player higher in the draft than lower. That's why Chase went #5 and Moore went #34. In this class, from what I've seen there are only two WRs I'd use high #1 pick on: Williams and Wilson, and both have some question marks - Williams because of his injury, and Wilson because he's not really the big target WR I think the Jets are looking for (although it's not like he's a Smurf - he's only 2" shorter than Williams). In a perfect world, JD trades back to the late teens and takes one them, but I don't think either will last that long because the rest of the NFL understands how valuable great WRs are. So, rather than quibble over the "value" of a few draft spots, I'd take either at 10 if I wasn't able to trade for a stud WR before the draft. If I WAS able to do that trade, I'd look to grab someone like Dotson, Watson, or Pierce with one of the 2nd rounders.

REVISion likes this.
  18. KingRoach

Lol. That’s not how it works! You can’t ask me a question then answer it. I’m not comparing #10 WR to #34 Moore. I’m comparing #10 WR to 2nd year Professional Football Player, Elijah Moore.

2nd paragraph. No guarantees isn’t my point exactly. More along the lines of “you can’t say Wilson (for example) is a stud WR and not Moore - if Moore is a stud, we don’t need to spend a 1st round pick on a WR.

I like Williams and Wilson the most as well but Wilson’s shitty RAS score scares me. I remember someone (maybe Chris Simms a year ago talking about Davis) saying the best WRs come out as early as possible bc they can, which makes London interesting to me as well.

If I believed Mims and Davis were trash, I’d probably want a WR in the 1st but I’m not there.

Best case/Worst Case

Worst case if we draft a WR at 10:
    #10, Moore, Davis and Mims are all trash - were in trouble

Best case if we draft a WR at 10:
    #10, Moore, Davis, Mims, and Berrios are all what we want them to be and we have 5 stating caliber WRs

Worst case if we DON’T draft a WR at 10:
    Same as above

Best case:
    We have 4 starting quality WRs and a stud CB/LB on our D

I take the latter

#338 KingRoach, Apr 13, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  19. KingRoach

Correct me if I’m wrong- I believe your stance is “We don’t know if we have a stud wr so we must draft a wr at 10”

My counter to that is “after you draft a wr at 10, you still won’t know if you have a stud wr”

As a season ticket holder, I’d be excited if JD likes a WR enough to take at 10 I just think MiLF is good enough to make our current O work and the pick is better spent elsewhere.

-Based on trade value and big boards-

If we went O with 10, I’d rather have Zion/Linderbaum and Kenneth Walker than just Williams.

MiLF would have a field day with 12 and 22 sets. You saw what Carter did, when healthy - imagine Walker back there. (Have you seen Walker’s highlights?) Carter had a running mate in college, he needs one now too. Fant-LT-ZJ/TL-AVT-Beki holding the line and making lanes. Add Moore continuing to be very good and becoming the #1 WR Davis needs. Those sound like a QBs wet dreams (and a very balanced attack.)

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Cutting Davis next year yes