Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The thing to ask is...

Did they just stop targeting his side of the field in college?

ouchy likes this.
  2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Sauce is a safer pick... KT or JJ have higher bust potential. But CB is not a need as much as edge. I could see this being the kind of draft that years from now people will be pissed for passing Sauce and people forgetting that cb was not the bigger need.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its seems like that must have been it. But never allowing a TD, even as a true freshmen, is incredible. I haven't looked at the film, and don't really have the desire to, so I cant say why these stats are so great.

blackssmagic and K'OB like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think Sauce plays exactly like Richard Sherman when I’ve watched him. Great tackler who seeks contact against ball carriers and an absolute stud at coming forward. Breaks really well on the ball and has elite size.

I don’t view corner as a huge need since the kids on the roster held up decently but Sauce is absolutely perfect for this defense so I’m a bit torn on if I want us to draft him or not.

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Add Another young WR? Are you suggesting the top WR in the draft would be at the same level as our 5th rd picks from last year?

Who is suggesting the players are “bunched together” in terms of talent?

6. KingRoach

He got less and less targets every year going from 58 targets to 37. Last year he had a QBR of 22

K'OB likes this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Respect your opinion, but I still say we need LB A LOT more than WR. All we got at LB is Mosely who is gone in 2023 and some scrubs. The jets need to use one of those top 40 on LB and I'm hoping it is Lloyd at 10 (assuming no trade back).

KingRoach and ouchy like this.
  8. KingRoach

We’re missing a stud in both groups but with EDGE we have a better rotation.

If Lawson had played last year and put up the same numbers he had historically, would we feel that EDGE is a big of a need as we do now?

I feel very confident a DE who fits our needs can be found in rd2, I don’t have that same confidence in CB.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

We need safety too and they have a potential star in this draft in Hamilton. We cannot go another season of Davis and Joyner is brittle too.

10. KingRoach

I have more faith in Pinnock than most

I had Brisker as my pick 35 but when I went back and watched the last handful of games, I was impressed by how good Pinnock looked. Especially since he’s never played the position in his life I feel like there’s a good chance they don’t look to upgrade the position this year at 4 or 10.

I’d have a hard time passing on him at 15 after a trade back but IMO Lloyd would make a bigger impact on our team.

tomdeb, boozer32 and Noam like this.
  11. boozer32

We were talking about Douglas picks. Mims was a Douglas pick. Douglas also chose Saleh did they not talk about the roster talent before he hired him? The excuses is getting crazy. Guess it goes with the 2 decades of Jets losing. I like Douglas but I don't make excuses for him. I'm not a fan of Saleh but he is the coach...for now.

12. boozer32

I agree Lloyd would be a difference maker. Douglas needs to nail this draft for sure. I know we say this every year there is plenty of talent in this draft. I just hope he can get the Jets some talent and they can start winning.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no way ether get fired after this season regardless of what happens on the field.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Of the top ten teams in scoring defense last year, three didn't make the playoffs (Saints, Broncos, Colts), 3 others lost in their first playoff game (Cowboys, Patriots, Titans).

8 of the top teams in scoring offense made the playoffs (Ravens and Chargers missed), five of the ten won a playoff game, and two of those teams won their conference (Bengals, Rams).

The "Defense Wins Championship" days are in the past. You need an average defense and an elite offense. Any elite defense that makes a run is an anomaly. The days of winning like Rex's 09'/10' teams are gone. You need to make explosive plays on offense and limit explosive plays on defense.

Brook!, FJF, dawinner127 and 3 others like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

saints, broncos, and colts were hamstrung by bad QB play. titans lost their offense in henry. he came back for the playoffs but didn't look healthy. pats again bad QB play and No WRs. the FQB is the most important. no team has won a SB without a FQB since probably the giants and even then eli in the playoffs played like a FQB. probbaly since brad johnson in 2002 has a medicore QB won a SB.

the cowboys were the only team on your list that had a FQB. they lost to the team with a better defense that had a worse offense then them. SF D held them to 17 points. all that does is further prove my point. also defense isn't rated by scoring.

KingRoach and Noam like this.
  16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Seek professional help.

Don't seek professional help.

Ralebird and KingRoach like this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

A majority of the teams that move forward have elite offenses, not elite defenses. It’s easy for teams that have Aaron Rodgers to move forward with limited offensive weapons. When you don’t know if your QB is a franchise guy, you need to give him every possible weapon. The Jets WR room has gotten worse from last season. They need to make a major and minor addition.

Gonna have to be able to put up 20+ in the AFC to even have a chance to compete.

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

the SB winners have all been the better defenses. here is an even funnier one

SB 50 0 TDs by WRs
    SB 51 1 TD by a WR (danny amendola)
    SB52 2 TDs by WRs (jeffrey, hogan)
    SB 53 0 TDs by WRs
    SB 54 0 TDs by WRs
    SB 55 1 TD by WR (brown)

6 Sb prior to this one had a total of 4 TDs by WRs and outside of jeffrey none were really big names (you could mention brown but he was the 3rd WR on a stacked offense and 31 years old and not the player he was in his prime, albeit still really good.

SB 56 rams defense was way better and shut down the bengals offense
    SB 55 Bucs D shut down mahomes and company
    SB 54 cheifs D held the niners to 20.
    SB 53 pats held the rams to 3 points
    SB 52 the eagles with a backup QB beat brady and gronk

I know offense is important but you need to be a balanced team to win. nobody winds anymore with shitty defenses. out of the 14 playoff teams half of them were top 10 in offense and defense. they were just well built teams. we invested a lot in the offense and it has talent and potential to be an above average offense if a few things work out. the D lacks talent and was ranked last in the NFL, we need to build up the defense in this draft. EDGE, S, DT, and LBer should all be picked. for offense we only need a RB2 and WR3 really

LAJet and ouchy like this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah but this is because both teams in the Super Bowl almost always have good offenses, or else they wouldn't even be there. Thus, defense ends up being the tiebreaker. That doesn't mean defense is more important overall, because if your offense isn't good you aren't even sniffing the Super Bowl to begin with most of the time.

Ralebird, IIMeanDeanII and NYJFOREVER like this.
  20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say no way… if we don’t see improvement and our D is as bad as it was last year Saleh is gone

REVISion likes this.