Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Absolutely, positively!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Definitely Jameson is ahead of the class, so if JD grabs him at 10, especially if we can get Edge like KT at 4, I am onboard, even in spite of the ACL injury. Yes, it is a bit of a gamble, but it seems like he is recovering well, and we are getting Jameson below where he would have gone when healthy, which would have been top 5, possibly #4 overall to us.

Even if JD rules out Jameson due to injury, I think people need to understand the market for WRs. There has been a huge demand in Free agency, even JD admitted he didn't anticipate. Every mock is predicting 6 WRs in the first round. People are realizing how much of a difference a good WR can make, and teams need to take a swing at the guys they like early, especially these like the Jets who missed out in free agency. Waiting until second round to me is not a realistic option. The way I see it is JD understood the value of WR, epically the one with speed, when he went after Hill.

Therefore, I see Jameson or one of two Ohio state guys as JD's target at #10. I would be shocked if it's anyone else, but these 3 that will be picked by the Jets in the first round. There are other guys with speed, but without the pedigree of the aforementioned 3. Drake and Burks, while really good prospects, I just think offer a different skill set than what JD prioritized as most necessary to unleash this offense, which is speed and separation ability.

ColoradoContrails, Noam and boozer32 like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Even more reason to draft Burks! The kid dropped 3 balls all year and has a huge catch radius. Burks QB this year also had a big arm.

blackssmagic, barfolomew and boozer32 like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like Lloyd also. He's a smart fast playmaking linebacker. I know Saleh likes him as he is exactly the type of linebacker he covets, 6'2 230 fast. But then again we drafted Sherwood and Nasrildeen last year. Gotta be a hard sell to Douglas to make that wish.

barfolomew and tomdeb like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'd say in 2023 we can start hard judging him. by that time zach will be in year 3. he'll have had 4 drafts, he'll have had 2 years of spending after fixing what mac left us with and saleh will be in year 3.
    JDs 1st 2 years was fixing all the mistakes to start over from what mac and gase left us with

boozer32, FJF and Rockinz like this.
  6. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think they’d start Lloyd at Mike, move CJ to SAM and let the rookies play Will for another year to see if they adapt.

boozer32, Jojo, tomdeb and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rockinz

Makes sense. I love Lloyd but I don’t think we take him at 10 unfortunately. I think we take a LB at 35/38 I think Christian Harris is the guy.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  8. Rockinz

He’s got this draft and progress on the field in 2023. If he busts on this draft he’s finished. If Saleh gets blown out like he did last season he’s finished too.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. KingRoach

While Harris would be a better “value”, I think JD would be more attracted to an older player. Someone with a shorter learning curve to make an immediate difference. Lloyd, JJ, Mafe, and Bonitto are all 23. Imagine getting Sauce at 4 and Lloyd at 15? This board would lose its shit with no DE and no WR coming out the 1st

boozer32, barfolomew and Rockinz like this.
  10. Rockinz

Ya rightfully so as I feel DE/WR are our 2 largest needs and this draft class is loaded at both positions. It’s also loaded at CB/LB which in my opinion are our 3/4 most needed position. If we can land a DE/WR/CB/LB with our top 4 picks I’m loving it. Ideally I see it like this
    4.Thibodeaux
    10.Burks
    35.Elam
    38.Harris
    If we get something like that I’m going to be thrilled.

boozer32, barfolomew and Red Menace like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

CB is not a top 4 need on this team and should not be considered with one of the top 4 picks. CB is probably the deepest unit on the team.

I would say DE, WR & S are close to lock positions to use 3 of the top 40 picks on. Not sure on the last top 40 pick, could be LB, could be OL, could be another WR. Shouldn’t be a CB.

12. KingRoach

Did you know the Safety’s played deep often last year? They did this to make sure the young CBs didn’t get burned. They know that playing the Safety’s deep affected their run defense.

Teams don’t draft positions, they draft players. No one is clamoring for the Jets to draft a CB… they want Sauce. I can name 7 DEs I’d take. I can name 8 WRs I’d take. I can name 5 LBs I’d take…. There’s only 1 CB I’d take.

13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

There are a couple of other interesting CB's

Ahmad Gardner

Gardner never allowed a single touchdown in his career despite starting since he was a true freshman. In 2021, he took his game to another level, allowing only 131 yards in 14 games.

PFF grade 87.1

Trent McDuffie

Outside of length, McDuffie has everything you could want from a high-end cornerback. At only 5-foot-11, McDuffie plays consistently bigger than his listed size. He's allowed only 16 catches from 36 targets for 111 yards with no scores and five pass breakups.

Didn’t allow more than 39 yards in any game of 2021
    Allowed only 2 deep receptions in his career

PFF grade 86.8

Andrew Booth

Booth has some of the best feet in the draft class, but he got exposed a tad too often for our liking. He gave up 29 catches from 46 targets for 312 yards in his first full year as a starter.

PFF grade 78.4

Jalen Pitre

Pitre was a massive reason for the Bears' defensive success in 2021. He led all defensive backs with 47 stops on the season while playing slot corner in Dave Aranda's defense.

PFF grade 88.6

Roger McCreary

McCreary is an ultra-smooth corner who rarely cedes much separation. He's been battle-tested with 75 targets but has allowed only 34 catches while mixing in 13 pass breakups. His lack of length is concerning if he wants to stick on the outside.

PFF grade 89.9

Though I am not advocating getting a CB early, I like Alontae Taylor late on if we had to get a CB

14. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Pickens has a lot of baggage and an injury, im wary.

REVISion likes this.
  15. KingRoach

McDuffie is short and seeing how our other starting CB is short, I think it’s the wrong move

Booth looks good, but where we’d get him (late 1st?) I like other upgrades to other positions.

Everyone else is depth/developmental and imo we have enough of those.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Fair comments but I wouldn't be looking to waste a pick early doors on any CB tbh, yes Booth and McDuffie will be first-rounders also, I think our CB room deserve another year to learn and prove they have a future or not as the case may be.

tomdeb likes this.
  17. Attackett

Ok and? Do you think that would change drafting another young CB. What we needed was a solid vet to add to the young talent at the position and that’s what we got out of FA.

I couldn’t disagree more that need doesn’t play a factor in a teams draft board. BPA should only be a factor if the player is far and away the BPA. In a draft like this though where players are bunched together closely I would think need would be the driving force in most teams decisions.

I’m the Jets case I will be surprised if DE, WR & S are not address with the top 40 picks.

REVISion and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That is sensational. The college level of a shutdown corner who nobody wanted to test. @Darnasty, a player like this would make a huge difference.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Honest question. If Williams was never injured and projected to be a top 5 pick and surefire superstar, would you take him over KT?

20. Attackett

Big fan of Sauce, think he’ll likely be a stud at next level. He wouldn’t make a bigger difference than a KT or JJ though.

ouchy likes this.