Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sure, but do we want to risk a premium pick on a non premium player to make Zach's evaluation easier? I know that no prospect is a guarantee but why risk an even bigger gamble. I think if Lindy, Hamilton, Gardener, or Llyod are there at 10 you gotta pick from one of them over a WR. People are saying they'd much rather have a 1st round WR over an early second but the talent gap this draft isn't really big enough to justify that.

I guess the concern is, are we reaching for a WR at 10 when its not necessary and can be better spent on other positions.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's an argument to be made that upgrading the defense, getting another RB to complement Carter, and a TE for depth would give Zach enough weapons to show what he's made of. I looked at 2023 WR prospects, and there are players who might be better than anyone in this year's class.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

IMO Wilson and London are by far the best WR prospects in this draft with a pretty significant drop off after them, so to me it wouldn't be a waste of a pick taking one of them at 10. Neither of them is Ja'Marr Chase but I think they're both roughly comparable with other WRs taken in the 10-15 range over the last few years.

IIMeanDeanII, PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

actually they don't the consistent playoff teams have usually had a really good WR1, a FQB, and a top 10 defense. they usually lack depth at WR and are split on a good RB or not.

GB rodgers, adams and a bunch of scrubs, great defense (great run game)
    KC mahomes, hill and a bunch of scrubs, great defense (bad run game but has a top 2 TE)
    pitt Big ben, lacks a top tier WR but had 2 good ones then trash, great defense, bad run game

etc etc offense gets the glory but defense wins the games.

5. REVISion

They have a WR1 and FQB in addition to usually having multiple very good weapons on offense. Also I mentioned dual threat QBs as being one of the "weapons" so not sure why you're adding FQB.

You're not going to count KC as having multiple very good weapons on offense? They had the single best weapon in Hill and probably the best receiving TE.

How about we look at all the teams you omitted there? The playoff teams from last year were:

Bucs (Godwin+Evans)
    Bengals (Chase, Mixon, Higgins)
    Raiders (Waller, Renfrow (yes he counts, had 1,000 yards receiving))
    Bills (Diggs, Knox, Allen)
    Patriots (outlier, none)
    49ers (Deebo, Kittle)
    Cowboys (Cooper, Lamb, Schultz)
    Cardinals (Hopkins, Murray)
    Rams (Kupp, Woods, Jefferson)

So out of all those teams only the Packers, Steelers, and Patriots don't qualify for what I said. Every team listed there has significantly better weapons than we do. Remember this conversation is about whether we need more weapons.

Borat and KingRoach like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

bucs were pretty stacked at WR for 1 year but last year they only had evans going into the playoffs
    bengals are the od ball out. stacked at WR and mixon but they have a good D too. they just lacked o-line
    raiders, refrow is good but come on. he's not an elite option. waller is a great TE but the rest of their recievers sucked and they missed the playoffs
    bills again diggs and nobody else at WR
    pats just defense and good coaching and brady most of the years

you are making my point, none of them (outside of the 2021 bucs) were 3 deep at WR or even 2 deep.and still they won by shutting down mahomes. it was one star and a bunch of jags. the jets are deep at WR but lack the star (unless moore becomes that which is possible)
    even in the rams superbowl win they only had kupp left. OBJ and woods were out. they won by shutting down the cincy offense with pressure

when was the last time a team without a really good defense won a SB?

LAJet likes this.
  7. REVISion

I feel like you're not reading my posts. I said a running QB is one of the weapons. I also didn't say anything about success in the playoffs, just the ones that make the playoffs.

8. GasedAndConfused

i guess when you said multiple good weapons on offense I assumed you were referring to a deep WR core so thats my bad. Most of them had 1 good WR and poor quality after that which was my point. The jets have a solid WR group that can be added to in the draft and maybe (but doubtful) mims proves me wrong and personally i'll take that over 1 stud with trash behind him. as of now we have moore who has WR1 potential, davis who is a solid 2, need a 3 berrios is a solid 4. carter is a good weapon as a RB and recievr out of the backfield and 2 good TEs in uzomah and conklin. plus a top 10 o-line. on paper our offense is pretty damn legit if zach can run it well

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Other than Jameson Williams, who is injured, they are just regular guys.

If they want to swing big on Williams I would respect their testicular fortitude but otherwise dont be stupid and waste an opportunity to get a couple studs on defense with the 4 & 10 overalls. Especially with this defense that was an embarrassment last year

ouchy, NYJetsO12, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  10. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

If you believe THIS is the guy, you take him. Thats the whole best player idea. A top cb is a game changer too and we had one named Revis. Tell me he didn't change games, plus if the pass rush fails, you got a rock in the secondary. Id take sauce no problem #4 absolutely no problem. Pick machine in this defense hes made for it, so is Jermaine Johnson.

tomdeb and KingRoach like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

1000% on board with that. To me is close to the obvious path for both JD and RS. Telegraphing picks or not I couldn’t care less, get the best studs available in the position of need and don’t reach for a WR versus a defensive difference maker on the table.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I totally agree. If Douglas stays put at 4 and 10 and uses either pick at WR, he is NOT getting value. None of the current crop of WR belong in the top 15 IMO. As I said before those picks should be on defense! He spent the first 4 draft picks last year on offense. It is time!!

ouchy likes this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I have been thinking this week that if Douglas stays put, it just MIGHT be Sauce at 4 and JJ at 10.

boozer32, LAJet and cval like this.
  14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ok when will Douglas be on the clock? He did all that to buy time. Time is up these are his picks, his coach, his salary cap, his drafts. The organization is clean of Darnold, Gase, Maccagnan now when can we expect a 14 win season and a playoff win instead of waiting another year. Seem like it won't be anytime soon as the GM and coach aren't on the same page. Saleh didn't like Douglas high picked WR Mims. Seems he's lost faith in his first round offensive tackle too. So that's two top round picks just wasted by Douglas.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It would seem like a waste. We just signed a starting corner and we have Hall who is pretty good. So where do our top 4 new cornerback play? Not sure we are at that point of drafting luxury picks. We need so much more. Perfectly fine with Jermaine Johnson as that is a huge need. Sauce would have made great sense before they signed the cornerback and gave him starter money.

JohnnyP123456 and tomdeb like this.
  16. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

He's had two drafts. Half of his draftees just barely finished their rookie year. We're all eager, but setting the bar at 14 wins and a playoff victory at this stage just because "these are his picks" is, I think, not reasonable.

I think JD has made some very nice trades, drafted some very good players, and is being prudent with his capital. He has faced some headwinds with injuries, and it can be difficult to bring highly successful coaches and players onto a team with a terrible track record. It is not accurate to suggest that the organization is "clean," as we are definitely still carrying the baggage of the past. But he does seem to be doing a nice job building for the future. I'm not going to bang my fist on the table and call for his removal if we don't have 14 wins and a playoff victory this year. Or next year. The team seems to be improving, and as long as it keeps improving, I would keep giving him more time.

Of course, I'm not Woody. Fortunately, neither is anyone else on this board.

Noam likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Saleh wasn’t even on the team when JD picked Mims, that was a Gase thing. In fact Mims looked better under Gase with simple routs to start, so I have no clue what you are talking about. That was on both Saleh and Mims. Will see how he does this year, he did struggle with the LaFlour playbook but they also did very little to tailor some routs to his strengths. There is zero confirmation that they lost faith in Becton, injury is a concern but when he was healthy he showed a lot of potential. The fact of the matter is this is the second draft with both calling the shots. Period. And the second draft has not occurred yet.

FJF likes this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree to a point. It would not be a "waste" if they took Sauce at 4--IMO he truly is a top 10 talent. But in my perfect world absent a trade down the jets would get a top flight edge rusher at 4 and then take LB Devin Lloyd at 10. I know some will say that is too early for Lloyd but not me. The jets really need a young attack LB like Lloyd. All we have now is greatly overpaid Mosely thx to MacCagnan and a bunch of no names. The jets NEED a LB like Lloyd now and in their future. Mosely is gone after this year and then what? I read recently that Douglas likes his current crop of LBs and hope that is a smokescreen. I really hope Douglas does not go WR at 10--would be a huge reach with any WR there.

Bellys Lies, boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree with most. Douglas has made some great trades, a few good signings, and a good second draft. But his first draft absolutely stunk, save Hall. Let's be objective about that.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Here is the brutal reality >>>>Zach Wilson is a speedball QB and a big arm QB

Who was able to CATCH the damn balls he threw at them??

Answer : Elijah Moore and B Berrios

So if you come around to drafting a WR at some point Douglas HAS to make sure they have hands like those 2 or it's a complete Waste

Speaking of Trash, The Jets Defense was abominably bad

I always pull for Offense in top 10 picks but this year ya wanna get an Edge Safety or Linebacker with those first 2 ? Sits well with me

#220 NYJetsO12, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022