Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Revis is a hall of famer in his prime. You don't trade a player like that especially when your head coach has stated how important corners are in his system and in this prolific passing era of the NFL.

I think paying for a strong core is a good way to build a team. The trouble the jets have right now with depth is not due to signing the so called core 4. I think those signings were smart. The problem is we have Scott, pace, cro, and Holmes taking up 30 million this year. Holmes is not a 9 million dollar a year receiver, Cro is a little inconsistent but still very good but 8 million is a little high for him especially when you have another 12 mill locked into revis and you used a first round pick on this position two years ago. Same can be said for Scott (5 mill) and pace (7 mill) you just aren't getting value there any longer. If money was better spent in those places the jets would have more talent and depth on the field. Trading one of the best players in the league is not the way to fix that.

2. RocklandJetsFan17

RocklandJetsFan17 New Member

But the defense is only good because of Revis. He can't be replaced. Pay him what he wants.

3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

trade Revis? no way.

4. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

This would be a huge mistake if they ever did this. Revis brings something to the table that only few have ever been able to do.

5. Phear

Phear New Member

Let's be real here, Revis could play in any defense in any scheme. Your notion from your previous post that Revis is only suited for the Jets, Ravens, or Cowboys D is beyond flawed. The issue with Aso was the fake DC they had in Philly calling the plays. To your last point, what trades has tanny made where he over payed for anyone? You continually post dumb shit like this to try and get a rise out of people. It's not like tanny gave up picks for a fat fuck who hasn't done anything in three years, or for a WR who caught 15 passes all year. :wink:

#85 Phear, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  6. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

it would depend on what we get back.

same as any other player.

7. Forum7200

Forum7200 Member

Haha wow, some people amaze me. This team should be in a good position to make the playoffs next year and they want to trade two of our best players?

8. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

What he brings to the table is totally irrelevant to winning championships.

9. CJGreen

CJGreen Member

Revis to the Seahawks

Revis for Earl Thomas and Beastmode plus some picks.....Get errrrrrr done Tanny

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=saturday+night+live+and+bad+idea+jeans

Offensive line was arguably our worst problem last year and you want to trade away our starting left tackle?

Unless you are excited about one of the young linemen in this draft and have a plan to fill the massive hole you would create at the position with a young stud this is an absoluttely horrible idea. Even then, the deal we gave him would give us a huge cap hit an stop us from signing any free agents this year if we were to do this. Of course you probably want to use that first rounder to get a flashy pass rusher or receiver that will keep our offensive line from doing anything productive next year.

With that being said, trading Revis is an even worse idea. He may be the best defensive player in the NFL. Not only that but his contract would also keep us from signing any free agents if we were dumb enough to trade him.

11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Safety is more important than cornerback?

I am sure that is why cornerbacks are always going in the top 5 while most safeties are lucky if they get taken in round two during the draft.

Don't kid yourslf, Revis is a stud and cornerbacks are extremely valuable.

12. DimsAllmighty

DimsAllmighty Well-Known Member

I think Rex would disagree with that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKumn4GNnFQ

Now I'll agree it takes a lot more than an awesome corner to win the championship, but to say that it is "totally irrelevant" is completely unture.

13. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I would only agree to this if we come out with one of the biggest steals ever. Multitude of draft picks and current player or two. Won't happen, so I don't want to see Revis traded.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This post speaks to your ignorance. Which is surprising since, as a Patriots fan, you have witnessed Revis play both man and zone without flaw, yet somehow you are ignorant to it.

Revis is head and shoulders a better player than Nnamdi.

The fact that you are unable to recognize his talent is...

... very unsurprising. Maybe someday someone will teach you about football.

15. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

There may come a day when Tanny comes into work and he gets a phone call offering entirely too much value for a person who plays the role of God as a cornerback. Assuming the person on the other end of the line is certified retarded...Revis will be traded.

Until that day comes...I think we'll just keep the best cornerback in history and keep building around him like we have for years.

Here is my answer to your thread...this is my thread:

Would you trade Sanchez for Rodgers, (assuming they kick in a couple 1st's, of course.)?

#95 PolygamyWinsChampionships, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  16. Reece

Reece Banned

Revis is the top performer at his position hands down at the moment. He isn't unbeatable though (see Stevie Johnson) and he isn't the best cornerback to ever play the game (see Deion Sanders). IMO, he isn't even the best defensive player in the league (see Terrell Suggs, Pat Willis, Demarcus Ware, Ed Reed etc). With that being said, if the right deal comes along, he is tradeable, but honestly the Jets wouldn't get back anything close to his value in return. If and when his financial demands become to large for the team to bear, he will most definitely be shown the door (see Peyton Manning, and he actually won a Super Bowl with his team)

...p.s Please stop calling him the best CB in NFL history ( see Dick "Night train" Lane, Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders, Mel Blount)... It'll take some rings and a few more years of high level play to even sniff that title.

#96 Reece, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  17. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Revis eliminates #1's like it's his job (wait it is) in a day and age where it's impossible to do. With today's rules and regulations you simply cannot stop an effective passing attack very often. But he does. He's better than anyone there has ever been whether he has rings or not. Most decorated does not equal most talented.

Everyone loves Deion at least partially because of his return game and the great highlights he got from that. Revis is probably just as good but today's prevailing wisdom it that he's too valuable to risk injury. Nope, he just goes and quietly does what nobody else has been able to since he entered the league or even years before...just makes the 1's go away.

I'm quite sure there was something physically wrong with him against the Bills by the way. I was there and he got beat on almost every break that Johnson made that day, I mean he never even guessed right. I think it was only his reputation that kept him from getting targeted more than he did. That kid is good, but he ain't that good. 8 catches for 75 yards...that is how Revis gets abused when likely playing hurt. Not too painful.

18. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

This thread sucks donkey genitals. This off season is really bringing out the worst in people.

19. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

For the right price,of course you trade him. It's a business, I'm fine with him not retiring a Jet. I don't think he cares about retiring as a Jet as evidenced by the holdout. Yes, Revis is the best defensive player in the NFL, but at the same time, is a huge salary burden (along with plenty of others). If you can unload him for a lot of talent and/or picks, you take the trade and don't look back. You don't need the best cornerback in the NFL to succeed. I think Jets fans just like being able to say they have the best defensive player in the league. I just wish it was at a more impactful position than cornerback. A pass rush significantly lessens the need to have a phenomenal corner.

20. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

No. he stops an effective #1, he doesn't stop an effective passing attack. If Revis could cover the entire receiving corps, then sure, you have a point. But he can't. A cornerback will cover one guy. In today's NFL, there's a lot more than just one guy that can beat you. And sure enough, they do.