Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. FrankWhite

FrankWhite New Member

You have got to be kidding me...

2. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

He's only ok.

3. Professor Frink

Just for the sake of clarity, those four guys' combined 2012 cap number is 12.9M dollars. Factoring in the 4M cap space they could save not spending it on the players they currently have on the roster (Hunter accounts for 2.5M alone) you're only talking about an additional 9 million. The Jets have a cap number of 130 million this year, so we're talking about less than 7%.

Now compare the potential of that offense to the one they currently have.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In the salary cap era great cornerbacks tend to move on after a half dozen years or so. They tend to leave a fairly uncompetitive team when they do so, a team that has generally underperformed compared to the expectations.

This was true of Deion Sanders and the Falcons. It was true of Champ Bailey and the Redskins. It was true of Charles Woodson and the Raiders. It was true of Nnamdi Asomugha and the Raiders.

It was not true of either Ty Law or Asante Samuel and the Patriots because those guys were not great cornerbacks, just very good ones. Ty Law went to 5 Pro Bowls in 14 years in the NFL. Asante Samuel has been to 4 in 9 years. Nonetheless they both became too expensive and so they left the Patriots. Law took longer than most corners to leave because his recognition and pay lagged some until the Pats started winning Super Bowls at which point he became too expensive to keep.

Darrelle Revis is going to wind up leaving the Jets. It's just a matter of time at this point. The Jets have had his services at a very high rate of pay and finished 8-8 anyway. They're actually two games over .500 for the 5 years he's been a Jet.

That performance by the team despite excellent cornerback play is the same thing that prevented the Falcons from re-signing Deion when he suddenly became very expensive at the advent of real NFL free agency. It's the same thing that caused the Redskins to trade Champ Bailey. It the same thing saw both Charles Woodson and Nnamdi Asomugha go out of town in Oakland.

The Patriots let Ty Law go after 2004 and still managed to go 38-10 over the next 3 seasons. They let Samuel go after 16-0 and still managed to go 35-13 over the next 3 seasons despite losing Tom Brady for all of one of those seasons.

Cornerback just isn't an impact position even in the pass crazy NFL that has developed over the last half dozen seasons. The great corners don't play in Super Bowls very often for a reason. The great wide receivers don't either. It's a mirage.

#684 Br4d, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with this, whole-heartedly.

Disclaimer: I do not hate Revis. That said, I need to spill my guts on this:

As the great Gregg Williams would tell you:

KILL THE HEAD, AND THE BODY DIES.

As such, chasing the WRs is not how you prevent the pass-oriented attack. Killing the QB is. Having Revis helps, but that's not how you do it on a consistent basis. Developing ferocious pass rush from the front 7 is.

6. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I really wish we would have traded him BEFORE the draft. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would bet the ranch that Revis is not a JET for life, I am ok with this as we can re-assign his $ to a greater impact position. It is nice to have a great CB; but it is nessisary to have a few impact rushers. It all starts upfront as it predicts what will happen in the back end...

7. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

There are more then 1 ways to skin a cat. Just because the Giants won the superbowl with a great passrush does not mean it is the only way. We had the #1 D in 09 with Revis as our only star. All we need is a good passrush not a top 3 and we will have the #1 Defense again. Have some faith in Rex building a D.

8. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Exactly. Revis is one of the best CBs to ever play the game. It's rare to get a player on your team as good as that. Keeping him is smart. You don't see the Packers trying to get rid of Aaron Rodgers or the Patriots trying to dump Brady because they eat up cap space. You don't see the Cowboys getting rid of Ware. It's such a silly argument. Our team is built toward a suffocating defense and an offense that is good enough to score more than the other team can on our D. The main reason our defense went from #1 to #5 was because of the lack of pass rush, but we should be much improved in that category now. There's more than 1 way to win a superbowl. Everyone is so whiny about the Giants this year, because their defense played lights out pass rushing in the playoffs. That's not the only way to win, it's funny how easily everyone forgets our 2010 victory over the Pats in the playoffs, where Brady had plenty of time in the pocket but still couldn't find the open man. It's not JUST about pass rush. People need to drop that argument.

#688 Barcs, Jun 25, 2012
  9. RochesterJet

Please dont compare Revis to Rodgers or Brady; thoes are positions of IMPACT in the NFL. This argument has been had in the 900 pages of this thread.

* Also, this suffocating Defense you refer to, how did that help us to an 8-8 record last year? Was the impact of #24 greater then the lack of production from #6? I would argue that the lack of production of Hunter is more important to the ENTIRE TEAM (this is the NFL) than the god-like, superstar/franchise, sure-fire hall of famer we have at CB...

10. RochesterJet

Thats the point of this thread; many people, including Revis himself, precieve his value to the Jets greater then it actually is.

11. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

We have a top 5 D every year the last 3 years. We have 1 star on our team and that is Revis. There are plenty of star pashrushers on bad defenses. Allen, Mario Williams before last season, the eagles have a nasty pass rush and went 8-8 with a far worse defense then ours.

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Defense alone doesn't win you titles, but it sure helps. We were weak last season at safety, pass rushing and stopping the run, but still ended up #5 in total defense. That's the Revis effect. This year, all 3 of those weaknesses have been addressed. The fact that Revis is one of the best to ever play the position is argument enough to pay him well. He is the staple to our D, as most teams double #1 WRs and they still produce. For us we need just 1 guy and the WR gets shut down for the game. This gives us an extra guy to rush or do whatever with. If we get production from Coples and Wilks keeps moving in the right direction, we'll be back up to #1 status. In a passing league, CBs are key.. but again pass rushing is still important. One man does not ever win a game alone, I don't care if you are a QB. If your line sucks, you have no deep threat and the team can't run the ball, it's going to be ugly, even if you are Peyton Manning. Without Revis last year we go 6-10 at BEST.

#692 Barcs, Jun 25, 2012
  13. Funny, Jet fans always want what they don't have. When the Jets had J Abe/Ferguson/Robertson/Ellis under Donnie Henderson...people bitched that we needed better corners & that we had too much money in the DL.

Now..we have fantastic coverage..and everyone wants the pass rushers back.

Quite comical actually.

14. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Agreed, you cant fix stupid. Rex is building a defense capable of winning a Super Bowl as I see it.

15. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

All of those players are DRAMATICALLY more valuable than Revis. Period. CB just cannot be the highest paid position on your team.

16. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I honestly think we should keep Revis, though cost is an issue. I wonder if there's a way to set contracts so a player earns a percentage of the cap that year, so that if the cap stagnates, the contract doesn't get out of hand, but if it goes up, the contract value goes up accordingly, but then the Jets could afford it haha. Personally under that situation, agreeing to something like 10-12% of the cap would sit fine with me, purely because of what he contributes to the team. I'd rather see them look at Cromartie's long term future here and whether he is expendable than lose Revis.

17. joolander

joolander New Member

Revis is our staple, deal with it. He's the reason why we have a chance at good qbs in this league

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

18. RochesterJet

I just ask that he, Revis, play out his current deal. He did sign the contract right? He did get paid 32.5Million so far right? I dont care if it was a "Band-aid"; he signed it! I'm glad we have the hold out clause in this deal. He is still averaging 11.5 Million a year.

*on a side note, Revis, even this year, will make more than Mangold (Next year too). Now how does this even make sense. I know that CB in the NFL is on the rise salary wise, but in no way does that position garner the same $ that a C does based on impact.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

How so? Mangold isn't as valuable as the oline as a whole. Put Mangold on the line with a bunch of noobs, and his valuable is significantly weaker as everyone will under perform. We saw it last year, even with Mangold at full strength, having 2 tackles perform poorly hurt Sanchez just as badly, despite Mangold playing well for the most part. Obviously, yes, Mangold is one of the best centers in the NFL. Similarly, Revis has Cromartie, Wilson and the safeties that need to perform at a decent level as well to make his value worthwhile. It works the same way. I'm tired of people jabbering about "impact positions" as if CB isn't impactful in a passing league. There is no I in team. Even elite QBs will struggle if you don't surround them with capable players. They can help disguise other weaknesses by performing at a high level, but no one player should ever be valued more than the entire team. Discounting Revis' impact is silly. Both players rely on other players to effectively contribute to the team. Besides, isn't Sanchez the highest payed player on the team?

#699 Barcs, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  20. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sorry, had to do it ;)