Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He wants to retire as a Jet so by nature he wants a new deal.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

2. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

ESPN found time to report that today? Figured they would have continued the LeBron suckfest all day.

3. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

^lol it was on the bottom line

4. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

Holy shit this is the dumbest post I've ever read on here. Please name one defensive player more skilled at their position than revis.

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

He never said he will either, which means he doesn't want to, but will go through mandatory camp to avoid his contract being further screwed.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

His contract isn't screwed by any means. He just got a front-loaded payout on it and now wants to backload it as well. 4 years for 46 million is market value for a shutdown corner at this point. There are a couple of people getting paid a bit more on average but not much more.

If Revis wants his contract adjusted so he's on par with Nnamdi Asomugha again that would require a small adjustment upwards to bring his contract into line with the one that Asomugha signed with the Eagles last year.

$60M for 5 years is 12 million a year. To get Revis there his salary this year and next needs to be adjusted by a $2M total or so over the 2 years.

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

$60mil over 5 years is a fair deal for both sides. But I think Revis wants his $16mil a yr deal. He's been paid $32 mil in last two years I believe and I think he wants the Jets to up his base to where he'll get around $15-16mil a yr, long term.

8. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

NFL Network reported tonight that, when asked today if he would hold out, Revis responded "It's up to Tannenbaum." I read that as meaning no new deal means another Revis hold out.

I have had it with this guy. I don't care how good of a CB he is, he is not worth the headaches every two years. He is not a leader or a team player or a player that cares about anything other than himself and how much he is paid.

And why would the Jets pay Revis $15 million a year when the top CBs barely command $10 million?

If he holds out, I would either trade him so some NFL purgatory team like Minnesota or exercise the extra three years and if he won't play, let him rot.

9. Br4d

I believe you are right on this and I also believe that the Jets cannot be competitive paying him at that level.

When they were paying him a $7M cap for what he did in 2009 he was a huge positive. Even if he did again what he did in 2009 it wouldn't be worth it at double the cap figure.

10. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Revis is not a top CB................hes an ELITE CB the best in the game.

11. Br4d

Is an elite kicker worth 4 million on the cap more than anybody else? An elite punter? An elite long-snapper?

The cap is the great constrictor. It governs how a team manages scarce resources in the battle to field the best roster for the amount spent.

Even assuming it's not just raw numbers and that percentages are what is important, paying any player 25% more than the best players at his position has a dramatic effect on what the team can do elsewhere. That player had better be worth a lot of wins on his own before his team makes that kind of move.

It's unclear whether any position is worth potentially spending 25% more than the next best player's cap number. It's pretty clear however that CB is not the place you make that kind of move.

12. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Revis single handidly wins us games STOP please.

13. Br4d

Sorry that one doesn't fly at all. I can't think of a single game that Revis has won for us single-handedly.

14. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

Really,then what the hell game are you watching? He shuts down the opposing teams #1 WRs and changes the way a team prepares for the NYJETS.

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

I still think Revis is bluffing. He has no benefit from sitting out because then the contract automatically extends. Then what will he do, sit out the rest of his contract? Right now he can't get more money but after this season he can make A LOT more.

16. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Single handedly????

Name the game.

17. Br4d

Shutting down the #1 WR doesn't beat good teams very often. Shutting down the QB does. When the Jets have beaten good teams it was because an excellent team defensive effort frustrated the opposing QB into making mistakes. Revis is part of that but not single-handed.

When the Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs in 2010 both Shaun Ellis and David Harris were more important on the day.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

He has held out before so that gives an indication of the type of person he is and leads to the speculation that has been going around.
    When you continue to sign contracts that are front loaded and want a new contract when you get to the light end of the contract, you tend to get bashed and deservedly so.

This isn't about how good a player he is, it is about not honoring a contract.

19. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Shutting down their #1 matters little when they're beating us with their #5. Revis demanding more money only weakens the TEAM.

20. patfanken

patfanken Banned

All teams are faced with similar problems from time to time when they are lucky enough to have a player who is at the top of the league at his position. It usually turns out to be an enormous headache for the FO eventually. They are f*cked in a couple of ways, because its NOT just about what you have to pay the player in question, its what you NOW have to pay when you deal with the rest of your players.

So even if the Jets can justify restructuring or extending Revis' deal, what do they do when another good player comes to them and demands to be paid. How does the FO respond when the agent says "hey my guy is a great player. Pay him half what you pay Revis" :eek:

Then you run into the problem of "position impact". You are paying Revis QB money when the reality is he might only have an impact on about 10 plays if he's lucky, while a QB has an impact on close to 70 snaps per game. Plus as the game evolves and more and more of the passing game is targeted to the middle of the field, you have the problem of having your best defensive player being marginalized on the outside.

Teams with good offenses and multiple receiving weapons will happily concede one of them to Revis, while they attack the rest of the field. Good defense is clearly a team game.

Think about it. As an individual player, who has a bigger impact on the game for more plays, Gronk or Revis? And then compare the impact each player has on their team's cap and salary structure. Over the next 4 years Gronk will cost the Pats about $4.3MM/yr, while Revis MIGHT cost in the neighborhood of $12-16MM....if the Jets redo his contract.

Please understand this isn't a slam on the Jets or their FO. Its a league wide problem for front offices when they have a player of Revis' quality. I'm just trying to point out that its not just a problem of how much you give the player, its also how it affects the entire salary structure.

I mean how do the Pats feel about making Logan Mankins one of the highest paid OG's in the league, and then sign a guy off the street a week before the season starts for peanuts who goes on and has a better year than Mankins. This doesn't mean Mankins isn't a very good OG, but it begs the question is ANY individual player worth THAT much more than everyone else at their position.