Why Yes, I would Trade Revis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I was just wondering in this deep mind of mine; how in the hell are the Jets going to remain competitive when we are continually back-loading our players salaries (and overpaying for mediocre talent; Scott, Pace, Holmes). We see it every offseason and the issue here is the lack of depth because of our front end $ (Revis,Mangold, Harris, Brick, Sanchez, Scott, Pace Holmes,Cro). The Jest are most likely one of the teams that have the least amount of quality depth in the NFL.

So where do go? How do we keep front level talent and improve our quality of depth? Draft and develop; and sign key free agents NOT on the decline (all while not overpaying). How do we get there? We need to acquire picks, plane and simple. How do we do that all while freeing up cap space? We need to trade some of our Key, front line pieces to a team than is in need of top end talent and that has draft picks. Again, some will call me crazy (bring it on) and others who are of sound mind may agree. Here is a list of players who would be a prime candidate for a trade.

Revis- Yes #24 is arguably the best defensive player in the NFL; scratch that IS the Best. He knows it and will be extremely difficult to sign again (who knows when he holds out). We need to cash this Stock in at its height and reap the rewards. He will garner two day one picks and offer cap relief.

Brick #60- He took a step back this year in my opinion, but still made the Prowl Bowl (who really cares). Still, if Jason Peters was able to pry a 1st and a 4th out of the Eagles then Brick is worth at least a 1st and 3rd.

I wouldn’t do the deals in the same year; or even both of them in a 2 year span; but something like this needs to be done on this team. We also need to develop late round picks so we aren’t cap strapped by 1st round picks, like we are today.

#1 RochesterJet, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

sorty abput any typod I jyst gouged my eues out.

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'd want a young star at a high impact position (pass rusher or WR) and a first round pick

4. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

And the star must be getting paid nothing for a few years...otherwise what's the point? And oh yeah...YOU WON'T GET THAT.

5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Trading Revis would be fine if you could pickup a good pass rusher in the process. That way our corners wouldn't have to be Revis good. Having the best CB in football is nice but where does that get you?

6. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

So because of all the negativity surrounding the end of the season I've tried to stay away from the board for as long as possible to avoid the inevitable crazy posts.

I guess I should've waited a bit longer.

While we do have many holes, the FO has shown that it is savvy enough in reworking contracts and such to bring players in. (Of late they haven't brought in the right players, regardless though they know how to get them here.)

I don't think there's any need to get rid of our superstar to get a couple of draft picks, who may pan out but most likely not blossom into anything close to a Revis. Especially if such a move is driven in part by the fear that he'll no longer be here in a couple of years. The FO eventually got him to sign before and they'll do so again.

If he were more like John Abraham- someone who didn't want to be here and didn't show up in games that counted- I'd agree that he should be traded.

7. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but I'd like to keep the best defender in the league.

8. JetsNation

JetsNation New Member

so guys wanna trade Revis BUT keep Sanchez...........oh lawd

9. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Ship him to Cleveland for 2 1sts and 2nd this year, and 2 more 1sts for the next two years - and you've got a deal.

10. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

No..Revis is on pace to go down as the greatest Jet of all time.

I hope most fans are with me wanting to see him retire with us

11. Brunell's Debt

Brunell's Debt New Member

I think I'll go ahead and keep arguably the best corner in the history of football, thanks.

You almost always get .25 cents on the dollar when you trade a star player in this league. I'd have no interest in panicking and dumping our best player by far for anything less than a package so good that nobody would ever think of offering it.

12. Nilton

Nilton Active Member

I'd only trade Revis for a proven Godly pass rusher like a JPP. But that'd never happen.

13. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Most fans would probably like to see him retire with us - but will his agent when his contract is up for renewal???

#13 Leicester Jet, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  14. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

For Brees straight up? Sure . If not I don't want to trade a HOF'er for picks.

15. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'd do Revis for like Aldon Smith and a first. Impossible.

16. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Ill trade Revis and 2 4th rounders for two 1st rounders and 3 2nds.

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Everything has its price, but ftr the price for Revis would have to be very, very high for me to like the idea.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If you were a GM, what type of team would you try and build:

TEAM A: Zero superstars BUT zero weaknesses anywhere on the roster. B+ to A- players across the board AND all C+ to B- players on the plank. No 'superstars' making $15M-$20M / year, but no Eric Smiths or Wayne Hunters either. Essentially, a team made up entirely of 2nd round draft pic type guys.

- or -

TEAM B: 3-4 superstars (Revis, Mangold, Harris, Brick type guys) BUT 7-8 bottom feeders in other positions. And no real depth on the plank.

Would it be possible to trade our 1st round pic every year for 2 2nd round pics, and also trade late pics for another 2nd round pic? Can you build a team with 4-5 2nd round pics every year? Would a team full of B+ and A- players beat a team with a few A+++ players AND a bunch of D- players with no depth?

And if one of our 2nd round pics DOES turn into a Revis, then trade him while the iron is hot for what becomes 3-4 MORE 2nd round pics over the next few draft?

19. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

We have our Aldon Smith in Maybin. Smith is a situational pass rusher, terrible against the run.

Thinking him and a first for Revis is equal value is embarassing on your part.

20. laxin

laxin Active Member

If you actually look at the scenarios you stated-

Revis for 2 1st round picks- So you want to trade away the best defensive player in the league for 2 unknowns. So we trade away Revis, which arguably creates another hole at the CB position, but we gain two picks. Say one of those picks is at CB to fill the hole Revis left, okay? But that player is not going to be even close to his level of play. But we also gain another 1st round pick. Many 1st round picks dont turn into good players and have a high chance of not becoming a great player. So yet another unknown. We trade the best CB since Prime Time in return for some salary cap relief (which we know Tanny can most likely work with) and 2 players that might not even turn into capable starters.

Brick for a 1st and a 3rd- First off, Jason Peters played like the best LT in football last year and most definitely played better than D’Brick, so saying we would get more then what Philly gave up is arguable. And as for the trade. Once again, we create a tremendous hole by trading away our starting LT (the object is to get better on the OL, not worse). So we have created yet another hole that must be filled, and neither of those two picks (1st or 3rd) are likely to turn out to be as good as Brick is talent wise.

I dont really see the logic. If the objective is to get rid of them a year early, rather than a year too late, then eh, but I dont think this is our solution to success now or in the future.