Why we shouldn't draft McFadden

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MyFavoriteMartin5, Nov 7, 2007.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Mangold and D'brick went down to injuries, the losers remaining on our OL wouldn't get us 25 rushing yards. Also, in that same scenario, we give up 8 sacks easy.

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Is this thread going to continue until Draft-day?

Can someone shoot it beforehand?

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

That is the scenario every week against good teams with Brick and Mangold healthy! The question is do we use our top five pick on a lineman who does not project that high and pass on a possible stud in Mcfadden. We have to draft more than one lineman on both sides of the ball. Why do we have to take one with our first pick if there is no one projected to be a top 10 3-4 player or Stud Lineman! You want to waste a pick on a 4-3 defensive player just because we need Defense? Who is going to trade up to us when this year is 5-7 Qb's deep!
    Why would you risk a number one pick on someone who would not fit into our system?

4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would either go BAP with a top 5 pick or trade down. The opportunity to pick that high is very rare (for most teams) and the pick is extremely valuable. To pass up the best player because we already have an ok player at that spot or because we need a guy at another position more is foolish. Even if the BAP is an OT or a CB, I wouldn't simply pass them up because we got a good one recently (we do start two OTs and two CBs).

Also, I wouldn't trade down unless I get equal or greater value in return. Trading down to target a position is wasteful Our FO got very cute in trading down to get a kicker and we ar looking at a high probability of a 1-15 season this year as a result. Also, we moved down a few spots with Philly and they took the LB we wanted (we took the next best LB, Schlagel who is no longer in the roster).

Our team is too weak to pass on any player that can help us to select a less valuable player because we want a strong DL or a pass rusher. We will not win the SB next year so we have time to address our perceived needs.

5. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I agree with everything you said. To be honest I want our first pick to be straight forward so the Front office does not to think about it to much. At the end of the day we need multiple players on both sides of the ball. I would rather they trade down to aquire more picks if they don't grab the BPA but I do not think there is a player in this draft that anyone would mortgage their draft for to come up for. I hope Clemens plays well so Qb is not a position of need by draft time as well.