Why we hold the upper hand against Atlanta...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AlioTheFool, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Al Dorow

Al Dorow Banned

Glad you liked it. Thanks.

2. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

There is a new CBA, there is no Friday deadline anymore. Whether he signs a tender or not is irrelevant. He is still franchised. The Jets still own his rights and receive compensation.

3. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

If the franchise tag is removed without a contract he becomes a Free Agent and there will be zero compensation.

4. mwjr

mwjr New Member

...but neither do the Falcons.

I'm a Falcons fan and I can almost certainly say that they will not cave. I personally believe that Abraham is either a Seahawk or he's pitching a hissy fit on the Jets' inactive list this season.

5. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Alio, please explain what you mean by the TO rule

Thanks

6. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Which of course will not happen, thus making that thought a moot point.

I know we all know that, but i wanted use the word moot :)

7. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

good, let him sit on the inactive list and cry like the baby he is...

8. FastEdbo

FastEdbo Member

Hello Jets fans, I've been checking out your boards for a couple of days now to hear your side of the JA situation. First let me tell you I think many of you are right in demands for the Falcon's 15th pick in the draft. Draft picks are a crapshoot sometimes and you never know what you're going to end up with. But, I also realize JA is a top notch veteran who has also used up about half of his expected career expectancy as compared to a number one round pick. He would be a major asset wherever he goes and it is my desire to see him in the black and red next season and in what can potentially be another dominating NFC South division defense.

I'm not going to get into the politics of the Falcon's FO vs. the Jets' FO as it is their deal to get this stalemate decided. It is obvious that the Jets FO aren't going to give him away and I cannot blame them for that. I think the stalemate that's going on is trying to determine the deal with the Seahawks/Vikings situation before this can go any further as it could potentially void the 31st pick offer. The Falcons and JA have done the hardest work in my opinion and have an agreement should something be worked out for the Jets compensation. I do hope that it will be fair on both ends as you guys deserve to be happy about giving up such an impact player and have something to eventually look forward to.

I know the Falcon's "D" would be something I relish to see next year with JA, Kerney and Coleman terrorizing opponents and our signing of Malloy at least gives us a Safety that will bring the wood on opposing teams' receivers up the middle. It still doesn't take care of the biggest liability on our team which is our terrible Offensive Line, thus the biggest reason I believe they're keeping Schaub another year and the biggest liability to Mike Vick in the backfield.

I just hope that the two FO's will make something happen as I for one look forward to having a dominate "D" next year to finally rival that of Carolina and the Bucs. I do hope this turns out fair for both ends and hope that maybe both of us can return to the SB again in the near future. (I just hope ATL can win one before I'm gone!).

#28 FastEdbo, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

By the TO rule, I mean that although the league catered to the NFLPA on the TO situation never repeating, it is both a blessing and curse. No, a team cannot suspend a player without pay for more than 4 games, however, a team can suspend a player for conduct reasons up to and including four games.

For JAbe, if he were to throw a fit and cause problems in the locker room, the Jets could quite easily suspend him for 4 games, without pay, and there would be nothing he, his agents, or the PA could do about it. That equates to one-quarter of his salary, which under the Franchise tender, would be a whopping $2M payback to the organization. That's quite prohibitive to Abe, wouldn't you agree?

The more I consider it, the more I think the owners may have used pure genius with this rule. Just the simple threat of the action should calm down a lot of crap in the league.

10. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

SO you are saying that we do not have the upper hand??? you can do your homework all you want, however logic still isnt one of your strong suits.

I dont need to write a long post to prove my point...Abe cant deal with who he wants to....other teams cant wait until the tender runs out...therefore we are the only ones that have the upper hand...will we choose to blink is yet to be determined...but viewing our position...thats very unlikely

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Good post, and it echos what a couple of other Falcon fans have said here the past few days. However, there are a select few who believe Atlanta holds the cards, and that they can dictate the terms of JAbe's release. It's nice to see some reasonable fans posting intelligently on the issue. We aren't asking for a king's ransom, we just want fair value for our guy.

12. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

That's a really great point about Atlanta's negotiating.

In the end, I wouldn't like to have Abe sitting on the bench to prove a point. It's an expensive point to make, and can be construed as amateurish (not something our youthful FO needs) and destructive to future FAs considering the Jets.

But that being said, I think back to when JAbe was hurt for the playoffs following the 2004 season. And we certainly didn't suffer defensively. Maybe we weren't as good as we could have been, but we didn't lose to the Steelers because of our D. And, I'm in the Mario Williams camp for this draft. While he's unproven and the pro level, and JAbe is proven, I think he'd be a solid replacement.

13. FastEdbo

FastEdbo Member

Thanks, I know and realize the Jets are in the driver's seat of this situation, especially given the Seahawks' offer of their pick. If I were the Jets FO, I would ride out the Seahawks/Vikings decision to determine if that offer can still be feasable. However it can be a gamble, but it's a safer gamble for the Jets and favors the Seahawks at this time. Personally, I want to see the deal get done and maybe it's possible that ATL's FO is trying to trade down in order to acquire a decent first round position that will give the Jets FO what they want and still possibly allow ATL to acquire a decent draft pick in the second round of this year's rich draft.

14. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Just trade him straight up for Schaub and move on. Both teams get what they really want. Abe is not part of the Jets plans for the future and if they push this too far they could easily wind up with nothing for Abe.

15. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

dude...we already got Ramsey...i know hes not great but trading for schuab would be a waste...we cant ask for our 6th rounder back!!

16. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

That shipped has sailed. It was ATL not wanting to include Schaub or their #1 that led to the Jets getting Ramsey.
    ATL was trying to get ABE for nothing.
    We dont want to give up MS or #1 pick and Abe agreed to a contract with us so we'll give this pocketfull of lint for him.

Bullshit! Continue sticking to your guns Tangini and you will get what you want.

17. FastEdbo

FastEdbo Member

I hate to tell you that I just don't see Schaub going anywhere this year as his value can improve drastically for the Falcons next year. Many of you hear that Vick gets hurt sometimes, but this is not necessarily his fault as it is the "Offensive" OL that take the field week after week. That's their main reason for keeping Schaub IMO.

There has been mention of a 2nd and 3rd round pick for JAbe but after already trading their 4th pick last week, I don't know if ATL is ready to give up more than one more pick for this year's draft. Personally, I'd give up the 15th pick for JAbe but I don't call the shots. We could potentially be looking at next year's first round pick being involved as it's possible that ATL may be able to acquire two picks for that draft, possibly gaining one of those picks from a RFA signing of Schaub next year.
    :buffaloblows:

#37 FastEdbo, Mar 20, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  18. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

For cripes sack man! The enter button is your friend! Paragraphs are good things. I think my eyes crossed.

19. FastEdbo

FastEdbo Member

Sorry Dab, hopefully fixed that. :pats_suck:

20. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Hey, thanks for including Buffalo blows and Pats suck at the end of your posts. In return, I will make the declaration: Panthers suck!