Why no love for Cotchery?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin is the man, Jul 14, 2011.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I can't tell if that's praise or a knock on Schotty?

2. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

We are on TGG so you have a 99% chance of it being a knock on him.

3. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

And MBGreen... Oh wait.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I feel like I'm on JI with all of these banner ads.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not sure what the OP is driving at. Unless it's an implication that the talk of retaining Holmes AND Edwards is somehow wrongheaded because Cotch can and will take up the slack. Or maybe that fans don't appreciate Cotch's contributions?

On the latter point, I think he's produced for the Jets, but his injuries and age (at this position) are a concern. He's coming off a less than stellar season with a number of drops. He was hurt, we all get that. Is it a given he will not be and will produce more this coming season? No.

I think the real point behind the notion that Edwards and Holmes will hopefully both come back isn't about Cotch so much anyway, as it is about how thin the receiver bench is after these three. The Jets cannot afford to lose one without replacing him with someone of better quality than any other receiver on the team. Can't rely on a rookie, either. So, the notion that talk about getting both Edwards and Holmes back being a knock on Cotch is wrongheaded.

Having said that I don't think Cotch is as good as Holmes and Edwards. Having him be the #2 wideout would be a drop off. Can the Jets get by with him as the #2 wideout? Only if someone else comes in to beef up the bench substantially.

Imo and it's hardly a controversial concept, a team's #3 wideout is so critical to the team it has virtually a starter's level of significance. Given that I am not yet a huge Green fan, either, and feel it is hardly assured the Jets will have an awesome and dependable running attack, let's not go into the season with a wideout corps with either Holmss or Edwards gone, a risky Cotch as the #2, and nobodies filling out the wideout corps.

6. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Yes, and that was a damn shame to see.

Cotchery gets plenty of love, in fact, he may not get enough. He's a favorite of mine in the entire NFL, the epitome of a great, team player.

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If we lose Holmes or Edwards, Cotch would be the #2 wideout. However, he would not be the #2 option. That distinction would go to Keller, who was having a great season until Holmes came in, and then dropped off the planet.