Why is suggesting Tebow Sacrilege?

Discussion in 'Tebowmania' started by RMorin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. reverseapachemaster

I am still full of the lolz.

2. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I agree that Tebow should model himself after Big Ben ideally. But I don't think it can work because Tebow simply isn't that accurate on short passes. Ben is deadly because he can make throws with people hanging on him. I think Tebow could become similarly difficult to bring down, but Ben avoids rushers, looks around the field, and hits open receivers to move the chains.

Tebow would just tuck and run at this point, and I don't think he could hit the receivers anyway.

3. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

That's a mischaracterization. Most of Tebow's big plays last year came from scrambling around, looking down field and throwing to receivers.

Yes, Tebow runs the ball as a QB, but most of those runs are by design, either Option plays or QB draw/ QB Power runs. When he drops back to pass and comes under pressure, whether he takes off running, or looks downfield to find receivers depends on the situation, as with most QBs. If the pressure is coming up the middle, he rolls out and tries to find receivers. If the pressure comes from the edges, he's more apt to step forward and run the ball.

4. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

His per carry average is not 2 or 3 yards it's 4.2 ( the highest on the team) .

He has the longest run at 22 yards and that is with him only running the ball 9 times.

He has converted a first down on a fake punt on a 4th and 3 that extended a drive that got points

He converted another first down on his only pass .

He has delivered some great blocks out of the full back position

He has not been awful and that you think that way shows your bias ( although your forum join date made that clear already ) . I now await your inevitable OMGZORZ HE SUCKS automated response .

#204 CowboysFan, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  5. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

What he did last year in 11 regular season starts and two playoff starts is vastly more important to his overall evaluation than what he did in the preseason. Preseason is a waste of time that exists to line the pockets of the owners. You don't actually judge players with regular season sample sizes by the way they perform in the preseason. Say whatever you want about Tebow, but in the scheme of NFL talent evaluation, whether it's Tebow or anyone else, the preseason does not matter at all if you have actual regular season performances to look at.

He's also just not a great runner. I don't know when that myth started -- I assume it started when people were degrading his QB play by calling him a RB or TE or FB playing permanent Wildcat. But it's not true. If you're running a pure Wildcat, a running back is a much better option. Tebow is 6'3, 250. He's a great runner for a quarterback. He's tough, strong, has good vision, good instincts, and relatively good speed (again, for a quarterback). But compared to a running back? He's slow as molasses.

If we want to use him in short yardage situations, we need to use him as a QB running the read option, not as a RB running a Wildcat jet sweep. Tebow's not going to beat a defender to the edge if there's actually a defender setting the edge. The whole point of the read option is to make the defensive option man give Tebow the edge, or give our OL and RB a +1 advantage in the box. Keep trying to run Tebow around a defensive end or OLB and he'll keep getting stuffed in the backfield.

6. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Agree with your general point. Tebow is very similar to Ben in terms of strength, his ability to evade pressure, and his ability to make things happen outside of the pocket. Both also tend to look for the big play. I actually think Tebow is a better runner -- a little faster, a little better vision, and a little better at avoiding big hits.

But Ben's accuracy is much more consistent, and his release is so much faster. I don't think Tebow could ever be as accurate as Roethlisberger is, and his release will always be slower, but if Tebow could get to the point where he consistently hits open receivers in the 5-10 yard range, I actually think he could be a solid starter in the NFL. He's a good enough downfield threat, and he's got all the intangibles. He just needs to be able to convert the easy passes at a much higher rate. Who knows if he could reach that point, but it doesn't seem like it'd be terribly difficult if he got a year or two to settle into an offense that fit him. Probably not worth ever getting that opportunity though, especially since the upside is "solid", not "elite".

7. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

Meh, I am 100% done with Sanchez and I'm cool with Tebow taking over the job for the rest of this year, but he has totally sucked as a Wildcat option IMO.

He had one nice run for 22 yards, and one fake punt conversion that wasn't really a Wildcat run -- just a fake punt. Outside of that, he has 7 carries for 11 yards. That's pretty terrible.

Doesn't help that his one pass completion resulted in a lost fumble. That's not his fault -- but like I said, doesn't help.

8. AK-JETS4Life

AK-JETS4Life Active Member

That Denver defense was pretty good and won games for Denver. This defense looks like the aborted child of last years Denver's defense.

If this defense looked like the Top 5 that it is suppose to be with a health Revis, then maybe I would say yes. Not even Tebow could put up 34 points, let alone, in the fourth quarter. McElroy deserves more of a chance to start since he's been in the system longer than Tebow.

9. Demosthenes9

Demosthenes9 Well-Known Member

FWIW, in the two games prior to Tebow taking over as starter, the Denver defense gave up 507 total yards to the Packers and 418 to the Chargers. In comparison, our D gave up 379 total yards to San Fran, 381 to Miami, 331 to Pittsburgh and 390 to Buffalo.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

That's great. He should be the starting fullback then. I'm fine with that.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I still ask over and over and over again. If he was Denver's savior (no pun intended), why isn't he still a Bronco?

12. catfish

catfish New Member

same reason that if Manning chose the Jets Mark would be bagging groceries, or Alex Smith or any of the other qb's of the 12 teams reported to have been interested in Peyton Manning when he became available. That doesn't mean more than 1/3 of the NFL feels their starter is "not an NFL QB" it means when a top 5 all time qb comes available you go after him if there is even a question at the QB postion

13. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

You do realize it was a response to the claim that he has been absolutely awful in the little time he has been in right?

14. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Who said he was Denver's savior? He helped Denver turn their season around when they were dead in the water that's factual , no one is claiming he was a savior.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ftr, Zach, I of course know you are not a Tebot. I went from the particular points Brad made, which I covered in the first paragraph, to a more general observation about the Tebots' take on Denver's season last year. He rightly pointed out that it was their D, with people coming back, key people, that upgraded their performance more than Tebow. And I said what started me off with those clowns is how they literally would claim ALL the improvement the Broncos had last year was due to changing out Orton for Tebow.

Ftr, Orton is a better Qb than Tebow. I wish we had him here instead of Sanchez.

But I never thought for a second that YOU are a Tebot. Put your mind at rest.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Ok, now we have established that you are not a stand up poster who will admit mistakes. Thanks for clearing that up.

Career backup. Heh.

17. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

OK. Last time I'm debating with an assclown. Your entire argument is based on percentages. Let's take TD% Tebow is better because his TD% is higher. So by default this means that Tebow is also better than:

Cutler - 4.6
    Schaub - 4.4
    E. Manning - 4.7
    Vick - 4.3
    Flacco - 4.1

And Matt Ryan is marginally better since his TD% is 4.9

I can keep going, but this is boring me.

You're clueless, and I can only hope you're a troll and not a true Jets fan. And I can guarantee you're between the age of 18-25

18. catfish

catfish New Member

I think the point is you cant take any 1 statistic and use it as the be all end all of how a player is performing. It is a combination of all the statistics and context of statistic at other positions. If a guy has a high TD%, it can be counterbalanced by a low YPA or completion% or high int%. If he has a high TD% and his defense has a high TO margin it could be boosting that particular stat due to better field position. Using only TD% is no better than using only completion%. The closest a stat comes to being able to be used stand alone is QB rating, and only because it is a combination of other stats, however even bq rating cant be taken without context

19. CowboysFan

CowboysFan Banned

Not one person on the broncos forum or here at gang green has ever said it was all tebow NOT ONE. its a fantasy argument T-haters make .

I will paypal you $100 if you can find EVEN ONE post here ,from a legitimate poster at Gang green, before this one claiming it was all Tebow .

its a fantasy made up argument.

and for the record this is what tebow fans actually say:

Tebow was not the only reason the Broncos completely turned around that abysmal record and ended 8-5 with a playoff win , obviously special teams and defense were a huge part.

BUT without Tebow the Broncos do not go 8-5 and into the playoffs , as Tebow is one of the 3 pieces that were necessary to get that accomplished defense and special teams being the other two (Quinn and Orton would not have had that level of success running the same conventional offense that got them to 7-24 in previous 31 games as tebow did ruining the Fox special that help turn it around to 8-5)

Therefore Tebow deserves as much credit for the turn around as the defense and the kicking game and if not as much quite a bit (he was one of the 3 pieces) .

#219 CowboysFan, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  20. NYJets82

NYJets82 New Member

There's literally nothing about what I said that could be interpreted as a "mistake" by a reading adult. It's a prediction that has yet to be proven one way or the other, and it's based on over 90% of seventh round quarterbacks since 2000. Nobody drafts a quarterback in the seventh round to be a starter. If they thought he could be a starter, they'd have drafted the guy in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round. Starting QBs are too important to let fall that low.

Your position on what you think I was implying is absolutely idiotic, which is why I didn't say it. Try not to think beyond the words on the page -- it's obviously not something you're doing a bang-up job with.