why does the defense get a pass

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetRizing89, Nov 16, 2011.

1. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

Interesting comment from Brady this week about the Jets defense.

He said Sunday's game was the first time in 3 years he did not see something new from Rex's defense. He said every look and scheme they had seen before and were prepared for it.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

what bad spots in the 1st half?

NE's drives in the 1st half:

-NE started at their 20, D allows them to drive for a FG
    -NE started at their 27, D allows them to drive for FG
    -NE started at their 39
    -NE started at their 7
    -NE started at their 8
    -NE started at their 20

ONE possession began past the NE 30. The D was in great spots all 1st half but that didn't stop them from allowing NE to go 80 yds in just over a minute for a TD to end the 1st half.

The O gets their share of the balme but the D was the #1 culprit Sunday Night. We are a D first team and it hurts us more when the D plays poorly just like NE would be hurt more if their O played poorly.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I got your back in this thread. You're 100% right. The D was far from dominant in the first half, and terrible in the second.

4. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

The honeymoon may be over but his tenure as a coach should still have a luster finish on it.

Bart Scott is playing very well this year - BGA, DVOA, and a bunch of the other stats/analyst would argue your point. And the last couple of games against the Pats he is playing less than 50% of the snaps. Pouha has been a stud for us. The loss of Cactus is smarting, and there is no Osi or Freeny on this team.

How can you throw the blame on Pettine. Do you think the scheme was bad? Do you think its the personnel? The lack of a cover safety is obvious against a team with not 1 - but 2 huge TE's.

If any coach or any part of the team needs a true upheaval its the offense.

And to top it all off - which do you prefer.

A coach that raises the expectation levels of the fan base and team and keeps the team competitive?

A mediocre coach who plays by everyone else's rules and occasionally reaches the playoffs.

Careful now, we don't want the expectations to be set too high. After all, the last thing we want is a perennial playoff team...

/rant

5. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Where as I agree the D played well to get us in the AFCCG twice, it has failed pretty badly on those bigger stages the OP mentions. Its great D, just not consistent enough to carry the team to the SB.

6. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

the D gets a pass because it is the only reason why we have been as good as we have been the past two seasons.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Alot here to respond to and I will. Right now, wifey just set out a sizzling plate of ribs so I'll be back later..:wink:

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone gives the defense a pass, but of the two main units, its the stronger one. Our offense has been very average, so we have to play very good D to win often. In this league the best way to beat high scoring teams is to either get in a shootout or controll the clock. We have been unable to do both of those options this seaosn to date.

Be it Sanchez making mistakes or poor Oline play our offense is not up to snuff. Add to that a defense that has gaping holes at safty and OLB and you got a lose/lose situation against the Green Bay and New Englands of the world right now.

9. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Bart Scott has been a shadow of his previous self this season and IMO the only starting LB we have that is a quality NFL starter is Davis Harris.

The Defensive scheme against NE was attrocious. The Giants and Steelers showed that the way to handle the Pats offense is to bring pressure up the gut and to jam their wr's and Te's at the LOS. Most of our pash rush and blitzes Sunday night attacked the edge and we played so far off of Ne's recievers they needed a map to locate a Jets DB. Rex and Pettine basically resorted to the same gameplan they used in last years playoffs against NE, when the actually confused Brady with a new scheme. This time around Brady was ready for it and picked us apart.

Another major issue was the hurry up which has been Rex's achilles heel since he's been with the Jets. His defense is so package and substitution reliant that our slower Lb's and lack of pass rush get magnified when we can't keep fresh legs in the game.

As i see it there's no quick fix here, we need to beef up the pass rush, I was hoping Mo and Ellis would provide a boost and they still might but so far its been much too inconsistent. Our Lb corps is woefully slow and is a liability in pass coverage. The combination of the two make our safeties look even worse than they really are. I's contend that with a pass rush and better Lb's - our safeties could be sufficient, thank god we have excellent CB play or this D would look even worse. Its unfathomable that Revis could do any better , but give him quicker LB's taht could cover and some pressure on the QB and they'd never complete a pass on him.

Our offense obviously has its issues as well, but why everyone contends that its only on the offense is baffling.

10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but the time out excuse is hard to really take seriously. If we haven't seen Tom Brady go down the field to score a TD with 1:00 minute left in a half time and time again (sometimes against this same Jets team) you would have a point. However, the Pats have done it so often to think that they wouldn't have been able to score if Sanchez had let more time run off the clock is a fallacy. Besides the Pats had two timeouts to start the drive near the end of the first half and only used one of them during the drive. The :20 seconds or so that Sanchez should have run off the clock had little influence in my mind.

The offense put up 17 points (you have to give them "credit" for the FG even if Folk missed it). Surely not enought, but otherwise the did do a decent job of moving the ball (~ 420 yards of offense - ~50 yard in garbage time). The rest of the points I agree with. While the Defense played OK (I give them credit for allowing 27 points - return TD and punt mishap caused 10 of the 37 points) they just didn't create many "golden" opportunities for the Jets save the safety.

Besides all of the missed opportunities it just didn't seem that the offense and defense meshed. When the "D" held the Pats to little yards the offense would go three and out. When the Jets "O" scored a TD the Jets defense let the Pats march down the field. The team didn't "feed off each other". And the special teams were anything but special.

11. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

The D should be taking as much blame for the team's inconsistent play as the O. I know it's been harped on time and time again, but the biggest problem on defense is the total lack of pressure from the guys up front. Since the loss of Jenks we just don't have anyone who can blow up the line and disrupt the play.

Rex and Co. have put so much emphasis on building a great secondary (and we have a great one, including one of the best CBs ever) but the rest of the D isn't nearly on the same level. It's one thing to have a backfield that can lock down the opponents receivers, but when you can't get any pressure on the QB whatsoever with the guys up front, even the best secondary is going to get beat.

Everyone was talking so much about how we should be able to throw all over NE's beat up secondary last Sunday, but how did that work out? Mark was so harried by their 3 or 4 man rush that he never had the chance to take advantage of it. A championship caliber D has to be able to rush the passer AND cover, and right now the Jets D only has one side of the equation.

Hopefully Ellis and/or Wilk can step up and start causing some havoc, but as long as we continue to let opposing QBs have too much time to survey the field this D is going to continue to be less than great.

12. AirStrike

AirStrike Member

We have a bunch of nobodies on our defensive line. It's really that simple. If we didn't have the corners we have this team would be a atrocious. Zero pass rush, zero ability to stop outside runs.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets have two major plus players on defense in Revis and Harris. They have three guys who are impact players and create real disruption in Pace, Cromartie and Scott. The other six guys range from solid to JAG at this point.

That's not a great defense. It wouldn't even be a great defense if the two star players were on the interior line and at ROLB, but it would be closer to a great defense than what we have now.

14. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

yes, Missed opportunities is big.

15. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Every time the D got a free pass, they dropped it and I threw something at the TV. Catch the fucking ball!

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did the D allow the Sanchez fumble that was such a killer? Did the D fail to score with a first and goal on the 2 yard line? Even when the offense got stuffed on the goal line the defense turned it into a safty. I dont blame the defense for the Pitt loss at all.

17. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Pouha is a stud. Wilk is raw and Devito is solid but not great. The D line is not supposed to generate a pass rush. That is up to our linebackers. How is it people still do not know what the D line is supposed to do in a 3-4.

18. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

It was an all around team loss. I do blame the D for not even giving our O a chance to come back at the end of the game when our offense came back to life in the second half. They also played awful for the entire first half but so did the O in the few chances they had.

19. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

More of your irrational anti-Sanchez agenda. Good one.

I guess you didn't actually watch that game if you think the defense deserves no blame? Give me a freaking break already..

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The D got us down big early before the Sanchez fumble. The D was absolutely the main culprit in the loss culminating w/ allowing Pitt to run out the clock when we had over 3 mins and all 3 TOs.

The D set the tone w/ that long drive to begin the game tha ended w/ a TD.