Why do we feel the need to blame ANYONE right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Because the AFC East has deteriorated in terms of top level teams, I believe there is potential for us to win the division this year. I believe it is even possible to win a playoff game depending on who the matchup is. I do not believe we are Super Bowl ready, based on starter talent and quality depth, I feel that we are one offseason away from being a competitor for that, and although the average career is 4 years, that is largely effected by the bottom of the roster players. The core, top level players of a team have longer careers, I fully expect Mo, Sheldon, Dee, Pryor, DeMario, and other talent to be on our team for at least 4 or more years from now.

We are facing the most difficult teams on our schedule early in the year, and have easier opponents late in the year. I don't know what our record will be, but I do know the teams will get easier. There is a very real chance that Brady will retire this year, and they will finally be led by a young inexperienced QB themselves.

I would not say our team has floundered in 2013 or this year. We have had quality defenses coached by Rex and Thurman, and we managed 8-8 with a 2nd round rookie QB at the helm. That is no small feat. Even many 1st round rookie QB's don't win as many games. Just going back to 2010, Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden, EJ Manuel... Not a single one of these 1st round QB's had 8 wins in their rookie year. This is not a testament to Geno, but a testament to our coaching staff.

2. MaximusD163

You're really going to use the Broncos and Patriots as an example, even though they have all time great QB's leading their team? I feel like you know that's a ludicrous argument, use any other team in the league other than the two who have Hall of Fame locks leading them.

3. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

I agree you have to build through the draft but you need to have good drafts to do that and so far it seems like we have had bad drafts 2 years in a row

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Fine enough.

The Seahawks 2, or 3 years ago looked totally different. The Steelers did, The Colts did. You're not getting it. Every team looks different. I just coincidentally said the pats, and broncos.
    It has nothing to do with who the qb is.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My problem with the last two drafts has not been the end result. I think its a bit early to judge that and often that is a matter of luck such as a promising rookie like McDougle getting injured. My issue is three fold. Not using the excessive number of picks this year for our advantage, taking players too early and being too slow to make deals on trading up and back for players the Jets wanted. The second issue is the easiest. I really like McDougle but we would have likely gotten him in on any of our round 4 picks or our round 5 or possibly with our round 6 picks. The same can be said for Saunders. I have not seen us reach for players that we liked the last two years since the 2006 draft when we reached for the boar hunter Schlegal and E. Smith. I understand the need to take players a bit early when one really likes them but you cannot do it all the time and there has to be some balance where you let the draft play out and you get better value even if you lose some players.

My 1st and third are similar. The first issue is I think it was a bit of waste taking 12 picks when there were players we allegedly wanted and could have traded up for. For example it is alleged we really wanted Marqise Lee taken by the Jaguars and tried to trade up but I think the problem here might be some of the allegations made by Jets personnel and agents this summer that Idzik moves too slow to properly negotiate a deal that needs to be made quickly . It has been complained he is to slow in FA deals to react, assess the situation and get back to agents. In a draft trade it has to be done a lot quicker. This is an example where Tanny and his multiple plans, from plan A to every conceivable stop gap plan appears to be much better suited to pull off a draft day trade. Idzik admitted last year he wanted to trade back on the Milliner pick but ran out of time. I don't mean to be too negative on Idzik as there are many things to like. But negotiation and fast movement does not seem to be his strongest point.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Is the bold true? Why would he admit to that?

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The way I look at it, the Jets have had 3 games so far. They were the better team in all 3 games IMO. They are currently 1-2.

That has to fall on someone. I'm inclined to blame Geno, then Marty.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It is my recollection and now that I think of it could have been the Richardson pick but my recollection was it was the 9 pick as I believe he was talking about their mindset after the Buffalo tradeup. But I would not say I am 100% sure on that. He said something to the effect that he said they tried to trade back but that they ran out of time and made their pick. He was giving us their thought process during the 1st round where I believe he also said that Milliner and Richardson were both on the top 4 of their draft board. I think given this statement with what we have seen and other statements accusing of him being slow and unable to make a decision and it looks a worse now than back then. There is nothing really wrong with admitting you wanted to trade back and ran out of time. To be fair it is not easy to make a draft day trade regardless of who is trying to do it. But I do think it is a red flag we should watch out for in the future.

9. MaximusD163

The Steelers have gone through a very slow transitionary period but they are certainly not rebuilding, they addressed various positions of need and of course there is some turnover, but there are still numerous team leaders who have been around for a while. Larry Foote, Ben Roethlisberger, Heath Miller, Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor, even Antonio Brown has been there for 4 years. Making minor transitions over a number of years is not rebuilding.

Seattle on the other hand most definitely was rebuilding. They are just an example of a successfully rebuilt team, as opposed to the Raiders and Jaguars and a couple others. The Seahawks switched GM's, got a new QB, pretty much a whole new defense and many new offensive weapons since the new GM came into control. They were hardly a dominant team for the first 2 years of the rebuild, going 7-9 two years in a row I believe. The third year they improved to a winning record and a decent playoff run, and in the 4th year they won the SB. The Colts were absolutely in a rebuild, they just happened to strike on the most important piece to a rebuild on the first pick of the first draft: a Franchise QB. The Colts became competitive faster, in a weak division, but are clearly still not Super Bowl ready.

Every team has turnover in terms of roster makeup, but a rebuild is usually characterized by a change in a combination of coaching, GM, QB, and large overall roster makeup all in a short amount of time. That's exactly what the Jets are doing, and what the Seahawks did quite well. They ended up being competitive in year 3, winning a SB in year 4, and remaining extremely competitive in year 5 and probably beyond. If you insist that we are not still rebuilding and demand competitiveness in terms of playoff wins, that's fine but that doesn't mean it's realistic.

10. NYJalltheway

I didn't say they are rebuilding, or were. I'm just saying every team goes thru roster turnover an awful lot. I'll reply more later, working now.

11. MaximusD163

I'm pretty sure that is not true. Perhaps he said something along the lines of he was answering calls until the last minute, just in case there was an exceptional offer made. They are two very different things.

12. legler82

I would think a GM with some sense would not want to admit something that may be viewed by the fan base and media as a red flag, especially he does not have to. If true, not sure what's more worrisome, the fact that he ran out of time or volunteered this information.

13. MaximusD163

Feel free to reply, and I know you weren't saying they were rebuilding. You were over-simply generalizing the fact that all teams have turnover on the roster, and I'm explaining the difference in which a team is either genuinely rebuilding or just going through maintenance style turnover.
    Out of all the teams you listed:
    Jets: Still rebuilding
    Seahawks: Successfully rebuilt
    Patriots: Maintenance style roster turnover
    Broncos: Maintenance style roster turnover
    Colts: At the tail end of rebuilding, needing very few pieces to be a top team. Most importantly they need OLine

NYJalltheway likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

Don't assume this is true, I'm pretty sure it is incorrect or misinterpreted.

15. legler82

I know; just trying to convey to the poster how preposterous it would be for Idzik to confess this.

16. NYJalltheway

@MaximusD163 I guess the point I was trying to get at, is that we were never really a bottom feeder team. There wasn't any year that I went into the year knowing we sucked, and thinking we had not chance at the playoffs. I recognize that we have had a lot more new starters/players than most other teams, but I never felt we were in full out rebuilding mode. For example, after Bart Scott left, we had Demario waiting in the wings. That's technically a new starter, but is it really? We had anticipated it, and in some ways planned for that to happen that way. I just don't personally think that we were ever bad enough to merit our situation being labeled as a "rebuild."

It's really just in the wording in the end. Your definition of rebuild compared to my definition might not be the same thing. Either way though, I think we are 1 year away yet from being a serious contender, if things go right.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

So much ponderous bullshit in this thread.

Gave me a headache is what...

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

We feel the need to blame someone because the plan isn't working. The Jets thought that a good draft and
    a couple of free agents. From the owner on down, that's what we all thought, like always. But as usual it
    doesn't change for the Jets; iffy quarterback, Rex Ryan, a rookie GM. We hit a road of five games where
    the teams are just better than us. The league has it for us, as usual. The officials are only part of it.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And this is the exact kind of mentality I was targeting with my original post. How can you say a 4 year plan isn't working 3 games into year 2? Seriously...

20. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

I honestly do not believe in such BS as a four year plan. It doesn't work in football, no organization
    can guarantee success. An owner cannot buy himself a championship. A GM cannot draft all
    the right players. A coach cannot know everything. And a franchise quarterback is a rarity. If
    you live in a lifetime and you're team gets everything right. You're are beyond lucky.