Why do we feel the need to blame ANYONE right now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Whoa whoa whoa whoa ... whoa ... ... whoa ... ... ... whoa!
    You'd probably think we were better than our opponents had we won. If not then how else could you state that they were better.

So by your reasoning, if a ref make calls that change the outcome of a game, it just means that the other team is better.

I wouldn't call your last explanation simple but I would call it oversimplified.

2. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

We all have our opinions of which teams are better than us and which teams were better than. Its clear that we are a better team than Oakland. Its clear Green Bay is a better team than us. And were all probably split 50-50 on whether the Bears are better than us. I think they are the better team and thought that before the game.

Plus I've said in a different post that even if that fumble was called correctly and DeMario's TD counted and we go into halftime with the lead, I think we would still lose the game.

Bears played better than us.

Jets have played plenty of games over the years though where we werent the best team on the field and still won the game. Thats the strength of a good team. But since 2010 we havent had many of those games. Look at last season and how good we had to play to beat the Falcons, Saints and Pats. And 2 of those wins came down to the last second.

3. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

And honestly, Rodgers and Brees do it more than they should.

4. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

A-FREAKING-MEN!

I've been trying to say this all offseason and so far this year. this is an un-talented team in the early to mid stages of a massive rebuild. when we lose, its because we need to be perfect to win, and that is very unlikely on a week to week basis. This season isnt about winning, its about evaluation and development. figure out who is worth keeping and who is not and build up your young players with experience and Reps.

5. jerseyjay14

thats the thing, this season is about that evaluation. seeing if he is worth keeping around of not. benching him for vick to win a few more meaningless games only keeps geno around if he cant hack it

6. jerseyjay14

i think he has done an elite job.

he cleared out an enormous mess in our salary cap

he got an insane return for revis, and then used the picks to draft a defensive rookie of the year

he had the discipline not to throw idiotic money and mediocure players (like DRC for example)

he filled a few big holes, while having the discipline to know its foolish to try and throw money at all of them in 1 offseason.

he got rid of mark sanchez, something that we NEEDED to move on from. and i dont doubt 1 second he will move on from geno if/when it becomes clear he isnt a long term awnser

he put us in position to be able to extend the probowl talent we have

7. jerseyjay14

How does that not explain us?

- idzick DID take over a 4-12 type season. We were coming off a 6-10 season, one full of embarrsments
    - We DID blow up the whole roster. in just 2 seasons we have 13 new starters, and 27 new players. Idzick replaced ALL our biggest names from the prior regime: Revis, Cromartie, Sanchez, Cotchery, Holmes, Keller, Green, etc..
    - We replaced our offensive co-ordinator, defensive co-ordinator, and special teams coach... and would have replaced our head coach had the owner not stepped in

How in the world can you say this isnt a rebuild? some fans are REALLY delusional,

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2012_roster.htm

check out the 2012 roster..
    50 out of the 69 players on the extended roster are gone. that is 72% roster turnover in 2 offseasons.

out of the 22 core starting positions, only 5 players still man that starting spot from 2012 (D'brick, Mangold, Mo, Pace, and Harris).
    that is 77% of our starting positions changed in 2 offseasons.

after hitting rock bottom, we purged the cap, we have changed out our roster, the vast majority of starters, the QB, the GM, all the coordinators, and are now one of the youngest teams in the NFL.
    that is a rebuild.

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

People have remarkably short attention spans, they seem to totally forget what made up our team just 2 short years ago. The reason I'm looking forward to 2015 so much is because a short time ago our entire roster was full of holes, both starters and backups, whereas now we only have a few holes remaining. By drafting so many players over the last two years, we filled a ton of needs on the cheap. Now we can pick and choose players that cost a little more, whether that's through FA or by trading up in the draft. I certainly don't want a 4 player draft like we had in 2007 and 2010, or a 3 player draft like in 2009, but we can make some moves now that we have the depth. We spent 3 first rounders on the front lines and 2 in the secondary, making up the bulk of Rex Ryan's defense. I have to expect that we will be investing in some first round offensive talent in the next draft, whether it's O-line or WR.

Hell when Justin Blackmon gets re-instated we should throw a 5th rounder at Jacksonville for him, and see if we hit big. That dude has the talent to be a Calvin Johnson/AJ Green/Julio Jones type guy, and Jacksonville may be ready to move on from him.

10. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

People act like he did something crazy to clear since he released players who had to go any GM would have. ......and he has done a piss poor job drafting si far hopefully in cpl years we look back and say it wasn't that bad

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

All he did was follow the plan Tannenbaum had laid out for clearing cap space. Everything was designed to go away in 2013 and a big surplus projected in 2014. Similar to how Tanny followed Bradway's plan in 2006 to push out cap problems created under Pacells a year at a time until they would go away in the new CBA in 2006.

Idzik should get no compliments for fixing the cap problem as there was no problem.

Where he should get credit is not spending the surplus. But not spending the surplus is open to debate. I do find Idzik's philosphy of building through the draft appealing and he deserves commendation for not taking on new FAs last year so we ended up with the 4 additional draft picks this year. But there is also a lot of merit in Tannenbaum's philosophy that signing targeted FAs and trading for known players results in less risk and better and more reliable players than using draft picks. The problem with such a philosophy is its more expensive than what one would pay draft picks. I would prefer a mix of Tanny and Idzik's philosophy and would greatly defer to Tannebaum over Idzik on the preparation and negotiation side of the job. But most of all I would fight against the idea of the posters that say everything is black or white or amazingly positive or completely awful. Idzik is far from perfect but far from awful. There is a lot to like about him as there was with Tannenbaum.

#51 Noam, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    legler82 likes this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

While I do agree that it's too early to want anyone fired, if the jets win 7 or fewer games Rex will be fired. I'm of the opinion that Idzik wants an offensive minded HC that can develop a qb and manage a game from both sides of the ball.

I actually like what Idzik has done, and while most people want Rex to be here until the stars align for him, I would prefer to see Idzik here and carry out his plan for the team as whole including bringing in a HC of his liking.

As I have has stated before, I think the jets are capable of pulling out more wins than people are giving them credit for as they are a better team than last year.

For now Im going to sit back and enjoy the season, 1-2 is not the end of the season.

After all the evidence is in, at the 3/4 way of the season then I will start asking for changes.

And I'm not going to blame the refs for anything, if you are a well coached team, you can overcome those bad calls.

At the end of the day, the team and the coaching staff is responsible for making sure your trips to the redzone count and TDs are put up.

JMO

13. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

I hear you but two years is a long time in football. I expect things to be fixed in two years. I didn't think we were as bad in 2012 as most other do.

I'm tired of this team team being the red-headed step child to the patriots. So when I read a comment about how much progress we've made, it doesn't impress upon me. We won our last division title over a decade ago ... a fact that is much worse than it sounds when you consider that two of the four teams in the division have floundered over that time period.

Building in the draft is nice but we have to develop UDFAs better for this team to go forward. The coaching staff was successful with Snacks but that isn't enough. We were also successful with Howard but we didn't keep him around.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  14. MaximusD163

Teams in the AFC South feel the same way that you do, and it's the unfortunate truth of of being in the same division as a first ballot hall of game elite QB. Brady and Manning won division titles for weak overall teams year after year, and that's life.

It's all well and good to have expectations or demands that in 2 years a rebuild is 100% complete, but that doesn't make them realistic. The truth is we are already a good team with a chance to win the division this year, and with a couple guys getting healthy that will be more apparent. We are not however an elite team, which is what we are building towards.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The only games that are meaningless are preseason games.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

While I don't appreciate being called "REALLY delusional", you make more than a good point.

I can't even really debate it, but i will say it just didn't feel like a rebuild. To me, rebuilding is like the jaguars, or raiders. It's when your whole team sucks, and you have to spend 3, or 4 offseasons just to have a playoff contending team. Besides the ONE year we went 6-10, our worst season thru all this is 8-8. That to me is not a rebuild, it's a team overhaul.

Most of you just remember us as a bottom 5 team because you remember how bad sanchez was, and how bad the playcalling was. The run game was never bad, and the defense was never bad.

If you want to claim we're going thru some 5 year massive rebuild, fine, but this in reality is at most a mini rebuild that shouldn't take more than 2 offseasons to be back to playoff contending. That time is now. I'm not saying playoffs or bust, but we do have to contend this year at worst. So far we have been, despite playing 2 teams each week, just like our Hitman says.

#56 NYJalltheway, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    Innocenti and legler82 like this.
  17. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Brilliant post!!!

18. Innocenti

Innocenti Active Member

Even though you said something very specific (100% complete), I think that it's a bit ambiguous. If you mean a serious super bowl contender or even a team that does not contain below average starters (or something to that effect) then I agree with you and but your argument would be a straw man. If you mean a team that has a pretty good chance of winning the division then I do not. With a football career of 4 years on average, two years is not a short period of time. I'm not really dissatisfied with the progress we have made but we've on roller coaster ride for the past dozen years.

IMO, we're still about average albeit a little above. And as far as being close to being an elite team, no. Well much of it depends on Geno. He's progressing but Sanchez was also. We need to upgrade our passing game. We got rid of Tone and Hill and got Decker. But we're still lacking and I think we're more interested in developing the running game then we need to be.

I don't think it's unrealistic to have this team playoff competitive in two years. I never thought we were as bad as the mental midget beat writers suggested. Coaches that have a team flounder for more than two years don't remain in the NFL.

I'm not completely sold on Idzik either. People tout how quickly he addressed the cap space issue. Well to be fair, Tanny faced an unusual cap reduction in the NFL and had to adjust. Also to be fair, Idzik wasted cap space with two signings that make no sense (Vick and CJ.5k). I'm not saying that it will but it may bite us in the arse down the road.

19. MaximusD163

Our defense was never "bad" but it had declined over the course of 2011 and 2012, becoming more well described as a bend but don't break then a shutdown D. Idzik's first year as GM saw us play 7 of 11 new starters on defense, with cornerstone players leaving the team. Since 2012, we have now replaced 9 of 11 starters on offense. Even most of the non starting role players have been turned over.

We have a new QB, new offensive system, new RB's, new WR's, 3 out of 5 new linemen, new TE's. Just because the beginning of our rebuild went more smoothly than many teams while having a weak schedule doesn't mean it isn't a rebuild none the less.

20. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That is true,but like i said, every team has this happen. Go look at the patriots roster from 2, 3 years ago. Look at the Broncos from 2 years ago. So they were rebuilding too? They also had massive roster changes, just like everyone else.

The average NFL career is 4 to 5 years.

I understand we may have had more turnover than most, but you get the point.

legler82 likes this.