Why do the Jets feel the need to make Wilson the unquestioned week 1 starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFan20, Jun 30, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Even if he hadn't already retired I wouldn't have liked to see him and his bad legs get killed in a Jet's uniform, he made the correct decision and retired.

So Foles is the only VET QB out there and he isn't even that good, a modern-day version of Fitz.

Championship

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

vet backups are insurance for good teams making a SB run. Not for young up and coming teams. If zach is good we still aint winning a SB, if he goes down we get to see what we have in morgan and likely a better draft pick.

3. K'OB

It isn't me you need to tell that to lol

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Andy Reid decided not to find out.

5. Br4d

How do you know any of this has any correlation to reality at all?

Ralebird and abyzmul like this.
  6. K'OB

What a great reply, well played, it certainly answered the question fully.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Chiefs had a Superbowl caliber team with a very good veteran QB. They had no idea what they had in Mahomes and were not going to jeopardize a Superbowl starting a rookie. It was not for the development of Mahomes. He would be just as good starting from day 1.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Br4d

It's not about being good enough to make the playoffs, even if that was a likely option.

It's about being good enough to keep the rookie nailed to the bench until it is time to give him an opportunity. In most cases this is late in the season when the games don't matter and everybody else has their role down.

The Giants actually threw away a playoff spot in 2004 when they decided to let Eli play. They were 5-4 with Warner and in the lead for a playoff spot in a season when not one but two 8-8 teams made the playoffs in the NFC. They went 1-6 with Eli down the stretch. If they'd thrown him into the fire game 1 they probably go 2-14 that season and the entire franchise is under pressure moving forward.

9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The Giants would have made the playoffs that year if Warner started the entire season. The few games Eli sat did not make or break him as a QB.

PJ4Ever and FJF like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lets not forget this is a very QB friendly offense . Nick Mullens and CJ Beathard looked serviceable in it. There is no issue starting Zach.

PJ4Ever and KingRoach like this.
  11. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

I have a different opinion than most on this board.

When I hire an employee I want to give him or her the necessary training to be successful and hit the ground running. Part of that training process usually entails shawdowing a senior employee for a period time in order to build a routine/comfort level. In my experience this is often the most beneficial part of the onboarding for the new hire.

From my perspective starting a rookie from week 1 on bypasses this important step. Even if it is only for a few weeks let Wilson handle backup duties and get the feel for the role from the sideline. I really do think that experience could be highly beneficial for any young QB.

ouchy and Br4d like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because of the way he plays. I've seen every collegiate game that he played that's available. I've read the scouting reports. I've seen LaFleur's, Saleh's and JD's comments and trust their judgment. Finally, I trust my own eyes. He has his head on straight. He doesn't buy into hype about himself. He stays humble, works hard. He watches tape of himself to see where his flaws are and gets feedback from coaches so he can improve. He watches video of great QBs to see how they play. He studies tape of defenses. He has all the tools, the attitude, the right work ethic, the right character, and the intelligence.

I saw Becton's videos from Louisville, and watched him play last season. I've seen videos of AVT's games, and read the scouting reports, and again I trust JD's, Saleh's and LaFleur's judgment.

Noam likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Exactly! The Jets should have traded for or signed a solid starter as their veteran team was good enough to be a playoff team. Sanchez never should have started.

14. K'OB

Ah well, probably is that funny word that people use when they want to make their point more factual sounding...

Probably

Br4d likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

It could be beneficial if the Jets had a quality veteran starter. They don't, didn't have one, and one wasn't available in FA. In that situation, it makes no sense to burn draft capital and cap space for some JAG veteran who not as good as Wilson. Each situation is different. Each QB is different and each CS is different. There is no cookie cutter approach that will work all the time. An established business is very different from a rebuilding football team where many of the players are young and relatively inexperienced or totally inexperienced. Most businesses are also just about knowledge, and maybe some skill and routine in how something is done. Football is about much more, talent, timing, hand-eye coordination, athletic ability all make it very different from the business world.

KingRoach likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Shadowing is great if you’re selling phones or fixing computers in a retail store. Not sure how well it would transfer to the NFL. It wouldn’t hurt with the right vet QB but that person isn’t out there at the moment.

Everyone knows Wilson will be starting one way or another this season. Jets brass just elected to choose when instead is letting the W/L record dictate it to them.

17. NCJetsfan

Eli was never that good. If he hadn't been Peyton Manning's younger brother and Archie Manning's son, he probably never would have been drafted as high as he was. Did Warner get injured? If not, then Giants CS and Management must have either thought that they weren't going to make the playoffs with Warner at QB and decided to see what they had in Manning, or they thought Manning would play as well as Warner. They had no way of knowing that two 8-8 teams would make the playoffs, as that isn't the norm.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You don't sit a rookie for the first few games because your worried about SB chances. You do it because throwing them to the wolves right away can be a major step in ruining them. You don't want to start their career on a negative process and put them in a hole right away. When this happens the pressure goes up by 1000% and learning and confidence is hindered, if not regressed. You give them every chance to be ready. You wanna roll the dice - well that's fine for you. But don't call it a good decision.

Were still 2-14 and our roster that everyone thinks is so great on paper hasn't proven crap yet. It should also be pointed out that on paper our roster is the 4th best in our division.

There is more stupid in this thread then I can track. People are making desperate arguments to defend bad decisions. I'm gonna take July off from posting so those of you that need the hyped mindset can celebrate our success and I wont be called negative for being rational.

19. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

See you in August, then @ouchy . Enjoy your summer, dude.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

[​IMG]