Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

A good o-line makes the receivers better more than good receivers make the o-line better.

chandler and FJF like this.
  2. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yup, they need to sign a veteran QB to be backup. Morgan can be the 3rd QB and spend this season learning.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Wrong guy lol
    If I made a mile long list of stats it would have been better. ;)

FJF and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Make sure you use stats that by themselves are pointless though. Don't use the fact a wr only had 4 touchdowns. Or say he's elite even though he wasn't in the top 10-15 in yards.

K'OB likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think the answer right now is Curtis Samuel.

I think his skill set perfectly compliments the other transactions this off season. Smaller receiver who runs crisp routes.n

He is only 23 and has improved each year. I know he is on his last year of his deal but whatever.

Not sure what the Panthers would want in return or if he really is available. A 4th? Maybe Williamson?

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I didn't think about this but Carolina could be interested in Williamson after losing Kuechly to retirement. Williamson and another late round pick (5th-7th) could be enticing enough for both parties. I would do that deal in a heartbeat.

NCJetsfan, CotcheryFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I would trade Williamson for Samuels. I don't think it will happen, but it would work for both teams. Like I said we have 14 receivers on the roster. There will be a battle for 5-6 spots. Unless this season is royally screwed which is a possibility.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

He did make a statement, it just wasn't the statement you and the media thought it should've been.

He did a lot given the needs of this team overall and he made his statement with the offensive line. His philosophy is that teams win in the trenches. I couldn't agree more and for him to attack the OL in free agency and draft the way he has. That's one hell of a statement I can definitely get behind.

K'OB, NYJFOREVER, FJF and 2 others like this.
  9. Yeah i think overall Douglas did a good job improving the team.

im just a bit tired of the fan base & team’s deprioritization for addressing a chronic long term problem. And i cant really understand why folks continue to think these other positions are so drastically more meaningful on a macro level.Especially w how the modern game hss changed.

It’s comical..absolutely comical that its ok to go 15 yrs w dreadful WR/skill play But in that same timeframe see 3 seperate full OL rebuilds that fans demanded the second the positional group deteriorated. What am i missing?

spare me the “it all starts up front” & “build inside out” crap.Its not an excuse for the junk we’ve had roster wise at the positions that actually score the points. In a game that becomes increasingly more match-up based & rules catered to offensive boundary players, the Jets & a large portion of the fan base continue to think its an afterthought.

It’s embarrassing & unacceptable.

#169 KurtTheJetsFan, May 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2020
    Jerryjeudy and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The Jets roster had tons of holes going into this off-season. Did we fill all of those holes? Absolutely not. Did JD try to rebuild the line so that it isn't a bottom 3 unit anymore? Yes. The bottom line is that this roster wasn't going to get overhauled in 1 off-season and I think we all knew that. I would rather they solidify the trenches first and then address WR/RB/TE. Sam could have Hopkins, Julio, and Tyreek as his WR's but if he's constantly getting less than 2-3 seconds to throw the ball it won't matter. We all saw what happened when a GM/FO doesn't protect their most valuable asset (Andrew Luck).

I'm right there with you though, I really wish JD had taken another WR in this draft (Bowden/Edwards > Zuniga) but that is legitimately the only complaint I have about how he has conducted his first full off-season as the Jets GM. If that's my biggest complaint, then I think we're a lot better off than we were with the likes of Idzik and Maccagnan.

JD seems like he has a plan. That plan may fail or blow up in his face, it's too early to tell. However, I certainly feel a whole hell of a lot better about the direction of this team since he's been in charge.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I just listened to Douglas' interview on Gio and Boomer. It was shocking and disappointing. He said that he was surprised that Mims was still on the board at #59. He said that he wouldn't have been surprised if Mims had gone in the top 5 picks of the 2nd round. With that being the case, with Sam desperately needing better talent around him, why in the hell would Douglas get greedy and trade down? If he liked Mims that much, he should have stayed put and taken him at #48. Why would he trade down and risk losing him? Can you imagine what this draft would have been like if we didn't even get Mims? It seems that Douglas has a lot more confidence in Josh Doctson and Perriman than he should have. It also seems like Douglas has a horseshoe up his ass. If Mims had been taken before #59, I'd like to know who in the hell Douglas was planning on taking at WR that could be of any help to Sam at all. Hopefully, the pick at #68 would have been Bryan Edwards, but I have my doubts about that based on his judgment in trading down. I really hate his comments and rationale, and along with his comments about backup QB, have greatly undermined my enthusiasm for his being our GM, my trust in his ability and decision making, and have me thinking that our future may not be any better than it has been. We'll see, but after hearing his comments, I like the draft a lot less, and like Douglas a lot less.

When asked if the Jets plan to sign a veteran QB to backup Sam, Douglas admitted that he had no real plan for the backup QB position. His response was that they hadn't really thought or talked about that yet, and would hopefully be meeting within the next few days to begin talking about that and some other positions. After last season's cluster fuck with backup QB under Mac, imo one of Douglas' top priorities this offseason should have been identifying and signing a competent backup QB, not waiting until this late. On a more positive note, at least that means that he didn't draft Morgan with the idea of his being the backup, which I thought would have been a bad and dumb decision. No matter how smart or talented, you don't want to throw a 4th round draft pick rookie QB to the wolves. That could ruin him or at best hinder his development and undermine his confidence.

#171 NCJetsfan, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 1, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I was kind of optimistic on Luke Falk as well and I have to say that I think he really got a rough deal getting those two games as his "chance" when the Jets offensive line was at its absolute worst low point and couldn't even defend themselves let alone the QB. The poor guy basically had no chance as his chance.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. IIMeanDeanII

Maybe I'm missing something?

because the last time this team was relevant came way back when we actually invested resources into our OL. I'm not going to spare you because I do believe in that philosophy, all day long. I'm not saying we shouldn't find skill position players, at all.

I just don't feel you are being realistic.

I mean? What would your plan have been? You can't just draft WR at every pick and think our team is going to be setup for now and the future.. It doesn't work that way.

You act like he completely neglected the skill positions? Did we not take a premium WR in the 2nd round? Did we not draft a RB? Is that not a skill position or has that changed at some point and I just didn't catch that memo?

You act like Joe D was supposed to wave his magical wand and fix everything in one off-season.

You state that he improved the team. Then state that his actions and the fans optimism is embarrassing and unacceptable. Huh?

If you thought we were Superbowl bound this upcoming season, that was a delusional pipe dream. If you didn't think that, relax, try to feel encouragement in a GM that clearly had a plan in place this off-season, who made moves for the short term and long term and setup the foundation for the future in mind. If your foundation is set, you can start building, this man was able to establish a foundation of reason with just one off-season.

I understand more than most, just how hard It is to be patient with this team, but, I've never felt that good about a GM drafting for this team before. It felt real good after.

I'm not stressing those "skill positions", not because I don't think they are important, but, because I truly think that is going to happen. It just doesn't make sense to me to have all talent at the skill positions If your QB is on his ass a half second after snapping the ball. Talent can't work without some reasonable time to work... I mean, that seems logical, no?

KY Jets Fan and K'OB like this.
  14. IIMeanDeanII

Man, let's see what we have first before casting that first stone.. Way too early my guy.

There are so many different variables and possibilities within all of that, I'm not even going to go down that road.

What I do know.. Is what has happened. What has happened, is we've drafted many more players than we initially thought we would have. We got a very important tackle for our team, a premium WR, a high potential RB, and a solid QB prospect.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think they would've done better. To me, It seems like Joey D got the most he could out of what little he had to work with. This roster was shit before FA and Draft. On paper, It looks to be a hell of a lot better than It was.

As long as there Is obvious progress and an actual identity between this team and GM formulate. I'm all for it. Keep heading In the right direction, let's see where this thing goes.

It was his first off-season as GM and I think he did a fantastic job. We shall see.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well said. We don't know how many of these players will work out, but it's clear that Douglas has a plan and he's building towards that. It may take a little longer than we'd like - hopefully not - but I believe it will produce results.

themorey, K'OB and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  16. The continued failure & negligence at skill positions & fans being ok w it is laughable.Ive read this same exact post After basically every draft dating back a decade.”Our WR/weapons still suck but we couldnt address everything in one yr hopefully we can make due till next yr.“ Then next offseason rolls around & its right back to demanding OL & defense insisting that WRs arent important or can be found later. It’s like we still think you can win solely w OL & defense.

it’s like we shrug our shoulders & say “maybe next Yr” repeatedly at how terrible the WRs have been for 15 yrs but its pure outrage & mutiny a yr BEFORE the OL starts to show some cracks in the armor.Do you see how thats maddening when WR has held us back & is the teams longest standing weakness?

I dont think its unreasonable to be upset that at least one more WR wasnt prioritized early considering Mims was the first WR drafted since Sam’s arrival & how piss poor offensive weapons have been since 2011.Piss poor in a time frame when the boundary has become increasingly more important.Never said anything about a WR every pick but at least show some conviction toward a chronic weak spot in a deep positional talent pool.Doesnt seem unrealistic at all..EXCEPT for the New york jets.They have it all figured out & are above the need for players on offense who actually score points

#176 KurtTheJetsFan, May 1, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2020
    Jerryjeudy and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. It's not way too early to know that he got lucky that Mims fell to him at #59. He knew that the Jets had a huge need at WR, that he needed to get a very good WR prospect that would fit our scheme, and that the #48 pick was already half-way through the 2nd round. If he was paying attention, he also knew that 10 WRs had already gone off the board by pick #48. They were getting pretty picked over by that point, there wasn't a whole lot left in terms of quality (Mims was the last of topflight WR prospects), and he makes the decision to get greedy and to trade down and risk losing Mims? Sorry, but I think that was totally the wrong move to make and was stupid. The only thing that mattered at that point was getting the best WR he could. The other holes could wait another year. IMO it clearly shows that he doesn't value WRs, and that he was more interested in fixing as many holes as he could, rather than doing what needed to be done to fix the offense and insure that Sam develops. IMO that's a huge faux pas and black mark against him. As I said, he got lucky and Mims was still there, but there was no reason to think that Mims would have fallen to #59, and Douglas said that he was shocked that Mims was still there. That shows that he didn't really value either Mims or the WR position, and he was prepared to take a lesser prospect, or perhaps not even take a WR at all. That also pretty clearly indicates that he would never have taken Lamb or Jeudy at #11, and that WR was not really an important part of his "plan" for this draft and for the team. I totally disagree with that.

He also made a comment something to the extent of going by their value board, which shows that he isn't so different from Mac in going BPA rather than BPA at a position of need. Getting Davis will help the team, and as one reviewer said it was a smart move getting a S a year early, but that same reviewer said that Douglas didn't make the smart move at a similar position a little later in the draft (I forget which pick it was). S was not a need for this season, only for next season perhaps and going forward. We had a desperate need for a WR for THIS season and going forward.

He could get lucky and wind up with a good backup QB in Andy Dalton, but again it was a dumb decision to wait imo. If he didn't like any of the QBs available in FA and decided to wait and see if someone better shook loose following the draft, that's one thing, but that's not what he said. He said that they hadn't even talked about backup QB yet. As GM, how could you NOT talk about it before FA began, especially since Sam has never played a complete season, and even moreso after last year's debacle with Falk? Was he even paying attention? Not including backup QB earlier in his offseason plan was also a major mistake or flaw in his plan.

I'm sorry, I don't think it's even remotely too early to discern either of these screw ups. As I said, he may get lucky at backup QB too, but I don't want a GM who has to rely on luck. I want one how makes the right moves out of intelligence and skill. If this is how Douglas is going to operate, I don't care if he is better than any of the last 6 sorry ass GMs we've had (that's not saying anything), he can hit the bricks as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, it won't be a pattern. Hopefully, he'll get lucky at backup QB, and then realize how dumb he was, and not make the same kinds of mistakes again.

I can understand trying to patch as many holes as he can, but not at the risk of not getting a quality WR for your young QB, and hindering his development. When the best GMs draft a potential FQB, they make sure they surround them with offensive playmaking talent and that the OL in front of them is solid. Mac did neither, and Douglas knew that he needed to address both in a significant manner. He did address the OL in a significant manner, but not the WR position. It's now clear that he didn't see WR as a glaring need and it wasn't a priority for him, and I think that is totally wrong. It wouldn't have helped if he got 15 draft picks, if as a result Sam didn't develop because Douglas didn't get him any talent to throw the ball to.

I'm not giving up on him, but my trust and confidence in him has taken a major hit.

#177 NCJetsfan, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I get your frustrations, but the bigger issue IMO, is that the WR's this team does draft don't amount to much. Hill, Stuckey, Stewart, Hansen, Smith(for now). The Jets just have no idea which WR to take for many reasons. Maybe Mims is the start of a new trend. If not, then I don't even want to think about it.

If Douglas doesn't add more skill position players next offseason, I'll start questioning his judgement. There's supposed to be another good group of WR prospects and a few great TE prospects. He's added two WR's and a RB this year. I want our skill position players to be feared by opposing defenses, but getting there will take more than one offseason.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Right on queue... fans already questioning Douglas. I bet some fans already want to blow it up.

apjbfc, themorey, FJF and 2 others like this.
  20. Theres talk of this upcoming supplemental draft being unprecedented w entries due to the possible lost college season or at least a real training camp.

fingers crossed there are some big time WRs from that deep class that enter.This could also lower the trade value of someone like Curtis Samuel.

I’d love to see one more weapon added on the outside for Sam

ColoradoContrails likes this.