Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Vernon Gholston was a freak too so his size doesn’t mean anything

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Doctson has to make the team. So far his career has been horrible and he is the bottom of the depth chart. If he turns his career around he could be decent, but right now he has as much chance as the udfas.

3. J-Raw24

You are comparing apples and oranges. Gholston was a combine warrior. He wasn't great in college and was mainly draft because of his combine numbers. Becton was productive in college and considered a high draft pick before the combine. The combine showed his athleticism but he was already good. His ceiling is insanely high. If he continues to work on his craft he will be great. And so far even after being drafted he has continued. He posts workout and such all the time. I had the chance to see him live 2+ times a year the past 3 years. He improved massively when they stopped moving him and let him focus on being the left tackle. His work ethic is great and since starting college he has done a great job of getting in better shape. He was 390 lbs as a freshman he is down to 360ish. Wants to play around 350.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In Becton's case it does. For you to mention the two of them in one sentence is just ignorant.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I agree and Docton doesn't really have any special teams value, even as a gunner. It will be interesting to see how the WR core shakes out. Love the competition. I'm high on V. Smith hopefully he turns out to be a 40-50 rec guy

6. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

What’s really strange is that exciting offensive skill position players put asses in seats

But still the Jets prefer to draft defense all day long

Until Douglas showed up

So now Douglas is our new hero

Except he blew his chance to draft THE BEST WR in the best WR draft in recent history

Jeudy?

Nah, he’s too smooth and skilled

Ruggs?

Nah, he’s too fast

Lamb?

Nah, he’s too good after the catch

Let’s take somebody whose stats suggest he can’t get separation against college CBs

#266 Jerryjeudy, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What's gonna happen here if Douglas takes DeVonta Smith in round 1 next year?

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We didn't draft another receiver or add another weapon.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Perhaps JD has his eyes on a FA WR like Allen Robinson or Keenan Allen next year if they shake free, but I don’t see JD making a flashy move like that.

I think he goes WR early again next year in the draft

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why are you still banging on about it?

We took an LT as our FQB spent a lot of time on his arse last season and the season before and while he is on his arse inside 2 seconds he isn't finding the love of your life pal and that is it.

Change your name and come back on and talk football and everybody will get along fine and dandy, keep repeating yourself over and over and you will go in the box with the rest.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

JUJU BABY

themorey and K'OB like this.
  12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

That’s just not true... at all. Gholston was a beast in college, finishing his career with 14 sacks in his last season. He also blew up the combine with some great numbers but the talk that he was only a combine warrior was never true.

I hope Becton works out, his ceiling is high but his floor is certainly low.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I disagree that Becton's floor is low. IMO that is nonsense that keeps getting repeated. People think that because he's huge, he's fat, slow, lazy/poor work ethic, not athletic. Nothing could be further from the truth. He's already an elite run blocker, and a good pass protector. He has some technique refinement to make, and he's been working hard at that since the Louisville season ended. He does not have a low floor.

J-Raw24 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. Attackett

It not nonsense just because you don’t believe it to be true.

It took a new CS to get the best out of him last year, he’s also been described as lazy in the past. He’s going to have to work to maintain his weight his entire career. He the type that can stop working one offseason and he comes back to TC 400 lbs and useless. At that size injury is also a concern. I do think though, if he works hard and stays healthy he is likely to be a quality RT at the least.

That is certainly no guarantee though which imo makes his floor low.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I said "IMO" that it is nonsense, and I stand by that. You obviously don't like him, so discount his ability. That's fine. Just own it.

16. Attackett

Well that just not true at all lol. First of all I like him quite a bit, he seems like a great kid with a great attitude so I will be rooting hard for his success. I really enjoyed seeing him tweet out Let’s Go! To every Jet drafted after him and thoroughly enjoyed watching his excitement of the whole draft process.

Second of all, never once have i ever discounted his ability. It’s obvious to anyone that follows the draft as closely as I do that his ability is immense and he can be an all pro based off that ability. I don’t think anyone disagrees that he has the most potential out of any tackle in this draft. As a die hard Jets fan I will be rooting for him to reach that potential.

That doesn’t mean I have to be unrealistic and think his floor is high because it is obviously not.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  17. Daniel Jeremiah said himself( long before Jets drafted him) that Becton doesnt have negative tape.Just doesnt. And after watching games from the last 2 seasons i happen to agree. Yeah he couldve finished blocks alittle better in 18 but he was still extremeky effective & versatile.

The perceived Risks bare watching but really Unless you’re anti marijuana or think that It affects his ability to play he keeps his weight in line hes gonna be fine.

You move as well as he does w long arms like he has you can play OT in the NFL.The massive size is just a bonus. He’ll learn to play w better leverage,improve his lower flex & aiming points.Sky is the limit.

ill take him over the stiff technician Andrew Thomas & “Lets draft an RT to play LT w zero tape to back it up” Wills every day of the week

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I was a pretty good soccer player in HS, received several D-1 scholarship offers

One of the other guys on the team was very, very skilled but had weight issues pretty much his entire life

He was far more skilled than anybody else on our team, but just wasn’t able to control his weight

One summer he went into a medical fat camp of sorts and they put him on a liquid diet

He lost 45 pounds and was still far from thin, but much faster and for 1 season he became our best player

Sadly, he wasn’t able to control his weight, wound up tearing his ACL and had to give up soccer

A history of obesity, particularly when it runs in the family, is a risk factor for weight spiraling out of control

Excess weight in a sport like football is an injury risk just based on it putting more stress on joints, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, etc

With OL and WR being the Jets 2 biggest weaknesses, Douglas went with a player with high reward and moderate/high risk instead of a player with high reward and virtually no risk

With a QB like Darnold who needs OL and WR help, I would have preferred he went with the sure-thing best WR in the draft, whose style of play also gave gave him the highest IPP rating, thus greatly helping Darnold in pass protection as well

19. J-Raw24

Except Jeudy would have done 0 good if Darnold still had 2 seconds to throw the balls. The argument makes no sense. Jeudy is a great route runner. A good athlete. Maybe not the best receiver in the class but I won't deny his ability. But most routes take more than 2 seconds. Darnold is usually on his back before the receiver will even be open. If not he is scrambling for his life. The OT makes this happen less. Not the receiver. While I think we need to upgrade receiver badly. I think Douglas made the correct choice in round 1.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

FJF, themorey, Jerryjeudy and 5 others like this.