Why are our choices between Sanchez and Geno?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by talisaynon, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I look at it as there are 3 type of quarterbacks

Those who win you games
    Those who lose you games
    Those who don't lose you games

Mark is a lose you games QB
    Geno is a dont lose you games QB

Geno looks uncomfortable throwing deep which is part of winning games as a QB and if he can't use his eyes to help plays develop we're fucked again

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

What makes anyone think that Geno is a dont lose games qb right now. He sure as hell did everything you can do to lose this game tonight.

Guys..this guy is not even close to being ready to start an NFL game..not even close. I would start Mcleroy or Simms over him right now.

I have mentioned Simms a few times tonight and please understand...again..Im not even sure if Simms is a NFL back up yet.

He surely won the competition by a mile so far. I could care less who he was going up against. Sanchez went up against the same guys and fumbled and got hurt.

If you are truly looking to the future...Sanchez should never see the field this year. I would look at all 3 guys other than Sanchez.

Believe me..I know how absurd it sounds even to mention Simms..but thats how bad it is right now. He clearly played the best.

3. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

If Sanchez is seriously hurt, Geno is the starter from game 1. He will make mistakes, as any rookie would. You can sit him and groom him all you want, but eventually he's going to have to play and make his share of mistakes. Like any QB, it's how he learns from mistakes that will determine his development. Let's hope he doesn't take notes from Sanchez who has yet to take a step forward since 2010.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Oh fuck. Yeah. Now that you mentioned it, you ARE completely right.

I really wanted that pass rushing OLB prospect with 2nd round pick... Looks like that would have been the correct approach.

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I've always looked at him like that

His interviews he states I'm a facilitator I get my guys the ball so they can make plays

That's the reason he didn't throw a lot of picks in college

A game winning QB has to have some gunslinger in him because you gotta keep the defense at bay and keep the offense in attack mode

That's something you don't develop when you get in the league

Winning throws have to be made even in college

Geno will be good for us and I'm fine with that but we have to find that great QB

Ever since the game ended I've been doing research on 2014/2015 QB prospects

6. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

This was Geno's first start, and it was in a preseason game. He's the future. He needs to play and learn. He's going to make mistakes. Deal with it. Sanchez had games where he threw 5 interceptions in his rookie year. I don't know why people are expecting an immediate impact from a 2nd round rookie who has never played in a pro offense.

7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

3 picks and a lost fumble say hi. [Boy, that looks like a performance from someone I know really well.]

8. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think the influx of good rookie QB's have made things harder for Geno. Like I said in another thread, he's a rookie he's gonna make mistakes. Just as long as he makes progress that's what matters. If Geno still looks like he did against the Giants this Thursday then you can't start him. That would be insane, the next option should be McElroy. He has the most experience between the 3.

9. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I havent even brought up the pics. It wasnt that that bothered me. Going to happen to all kids.

It was his look. He had no feel for anything we were doing on offense.

Again, Im not saying he might not be a good qb down the road. All Im saying is that years ago, a qb sat on the bench for seasons to watch and learn..and if any kid fits that bill, its Geno. He isnt NFL ready..not even close.

To start him this year is throwing in the towel from start. If at some point this team is 3-7 or about, then you want to do it..do it.

Saying that we are not going to the superbowl anyway is not fair to this team. The defense has shown the ability that if we put 20 points on the board, this team could win 9 games.

I think Geno is so far away that playing him now will not only hurt the team..but severely hurt him.

10. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Give Geno time. He faced a pretty good defense.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm referencing his college career and his mindset as a passer

How many games do we win that Mark threw 3+ picks

Geno didn't throw pick 6s or redzone picks

They were bad but not game killers

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Honestly I'd trade for Foles today

He knows the O already

13. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

This is ridiculous.
    Geno has no idea what he is doing out there, he's going to throw a lot of picks, make a lot of bad reads and occasionally flash some skill.
    A don't lose you games QB is Alex Smith, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, players who are rarely if ever spectacular, who play within the system and don't turn it over. Geno is not going to be that guy right now, he can't make the reads for it.

Edit- if you meant going forward after a year or two he'll be that guy... sure it's possible, though you'd hope for more than that out of your QB.

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Yes I meant going forward

You can see it now

He doesn't wanna throw deep

You know what offense he would thrive in, Atlanta's offense

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

So by waiting until the second round to draft Smith, instead of the first when the Jets considered taking him, he gets less time to prove himself? That makes no sense. If that is the case, McElroy should have been given about two hours to prove himself as starter material and should have been cut at halftime of the SD game.

You can't possibly evaluate any QB based on 3 quarters of a game. Your type of instant evaluation illustrates the worst in Jets fans. The Jets are not making the playoffs and Sanchez is here only because of his contract. Smith will get a season or more to grow. I can probably find a game that bad by every starting QB in the league. You don't dismiss a player based on such an early small sampling.

16. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

That D was 31st in the league last year.

But I agree about giving him time. He only played 2 series before this game and was clearly nervous. It happens to rooks all the time. It's easy to look confused in the NFL when it's your first time touching the field (just think to Eli almost getting his head knocked off against an Eagles linemen when he foolishly tried to scramble into pressure as a rook in his first game). Or need i mention David Wilson's debut last year when ge fumbled all over the place and was clueless running the ball?

Geno needs more time to evaluate him and now he's probably going to get it by default thanks to Rex's idiotic moves. So be patient everyone. This happens all the time in the NFL.

17. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

^^^^^^^^
    Exactly

18. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

This is the NFL, not college, there by all rights all good defense's, sad to say but Sanchez is our best option at QB, so get ready for nacho turnover machine, to take the helm, Smith who I've never liked, just isn't ready, an may never be.

19. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Seriously?? An you know this based on what? Cause he sure fooled me.

20. Toontime

Toontime New Member

Jesus Guys! Geno's first real start against a good aggressive D. Sure the second INT was brutal, but the first was slightly thrown behind and Spadola could have fought for ball. The 3rd was typical rookie mistake.
    The fumble was on Hill.
    Geno will be okay, problem is after 2 years of Nacho, we are all desperate for that legit starter. Last year aside, rookie QB's take time.
    As for the call for Simms, yes he looked okay, not great okay. But he was playing against the backups! Brett Ratliff syndrome.

Anyway it was a tough game with not too many positives, but hell we knew this year was going to be tough!