Why are our choices between Sanchez and Geno?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by talisaynon, Aug 24, 2013.

1. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

I'll take my chances with Matt Simms, he shows more moxie and has a better arm than all of them.

2. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Didnt watch the game.

How bad is Sanchez's injury?
    Never thought Geno should start day one. And that IS NOT because i STILL rock a Sanchez icon.

For now, he gives the Jets the best chance to win. Give the guy one weapon. Did you see last season with NO weapon. Not one.
    It's a lost cause. So whatever.

3. GoldenShowers

GoldenShowers Well-Known Member

What is this one preseason game talk? I was BESIDE MYSELF when we drafted this kid. The Jets were in no position to take a project as their QB.

Not ONE KID has ever made the transition from air raid to the NFL. Why would this one be any different?

Then you add in that he has struggled in practice and can't beat out the worst QB im football!!

And THEN you seem him commit four turnovers in his big start.

4. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

One game doesn't make a career either way. If he had lit it up I'd be saying the same thing. This was his first start and first extended time against an NFL team. He did some nice things but obviously he still needs a lot of work. He'll learn and the good thing about tonight is that it keeps the expectations low.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Supposedly Case Keenum is having a really good preason with the Texans but I agree. It was a bad move regardless of if he fell to us or not. Like I said in another thread if Mark is out for any long period of time we may have to hope a WCO QB gets cut and we can sign him on the cheap.

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

You guys make it sound like Mark Sanchez was actually going to play well for us . . .

Instead of a 5th year starter turning the ball over for us, we'll give the job to a rookie. It makes more sense anyway, doesn't it?

#86 slimjasi, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  7. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Precisely. This is a very reasonable reaction to a guy's first NFL start, in a preseason game, no less.

8. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

Because we are Jets fans, and we can't have nice things. Ever.

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Could have wrote this myself, hated the pick and was not surprised he fell so far. If not for the Jets he might have been the fifth QB taken. I don't anticipate changing my Avatar any time soon.

10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I want Geno to succeed but watching today he lacked "it"

A QB should be a direct example of the type of team you are

Geno is a good QB but I just don't think he's gonna be able to succeed as a Jet

As a Giant he'd be fine they'd protect him

I'm hoping I'm wrong

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

We've been through this.

Weeden is the starter in Cleveland and some feel he could have a good year with Norv Turner and Foles lost out to Vick and is viewed as one of the best backups in the NFL and Foles could start on some teams(Including the Jets).

12. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Well one of the knocks against RGIII was he played in essentially an air raid and that was one of the knocks against him in the draft.
    Brandon Weeden came out of an air raid offense and put up Sanchez type numbers on a very bad Browns team (not a ringing endorsement granted).

I was reading an article about this very topic and it's surprising that Air raid QB's haven't historically fared well in the past in the NFL. But, more teams are now using the shotgun more frequently, more offenses are moving to an air raid styled fast paced offense. and the air raid offense has one thing in common with the traditional WCO, short timed passes that demand accuracy and timing.

The overall conclusion of the author was that it wasn't the air raid system that hurt QB's coming in to the NFL, it's that the QB's in college who tended to play in air raid systems often had suspect arms.

And there we hit on the key, arm strength and accuracy. Most of the QB's who thrive in air raid offenses in college have weaker arms and tend to be run first QB's. But as with all QB's who come in to the NFL its' the arm and decision making coupled with accuracy that will determine a players success, not the system they played in college. Though playing in a pro-styled offense in college does give players a leg up....or at least it used to before todays pass happy league that seems to be moving towards a more Run and gun styled offense, and the Run in gun is the stepchild of the Air Raid system and closely related.

13. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

As far as Geno's play today, It was a very rookish type of game.

14. BakerMaker

Yep....which is fine.

Some fans are just blinded about instant QB success and expect all QBs to get it right away. Geno's offense will be simplified....just like it will for EJ Manuel if both start week 1.

15. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I can live with Geno making rookie mistakes just as long as you see him making progress. That's all that matters.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I'm not even worried about the INTs

Lack of timing, anticipation
    Telegraphing passes

All things that can be fixed but he won't be given the same leash as Sanchez due to being a 2nd round pick

17. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If this were a REAL qb competition, doesnt Simms win by a landslide? I mean if because it was between a guy with 4 years experience and a guy reluctantly drafted in the 2nd round then its not really a qb competition. Its a choice between a turnover waiting to happen and a guy how every team..some twice..passed on in the first round.

So if this were a real competition, why would Simms not be in the running? If its because it was a forgone conclusion that Sanchez would win, why would you put Sanchez in against the second team..with perhaps the worst second team offensive line to protect him. Why?

Is there any reason..even if Sanchez is healthy, either one of these guys deserves a chance to start the opening game? Did Simms not blow them both away?

Does Simms really deserve to be on a NFL roster...let alone start for the Jets? I have no friggin clue. But to say this was a true NFL qb competition with 2 guys that have no right to be a starter....Smith because he is as raw as a black and blue steak...and Sanchez..who has to commit at least one turnover a game that isnt labeled an interception..thats not an NFL competition.

This "competition" should have been wide open to 5 or 6 guys because the only guy that I saw with the ability to complete a tough pass was Simms.

Again...I have no clue if Simms should even be a backup on a real team. Just that this was one of the worst back and forths between two guys trying to be a starter I have ever seen in the NFL in my life.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Geno Smith starts for the Jets and they go 2-6 in his first 8 starts it's going to be roughly the average result for a touted rookie QB being asked to start for a below average talent team.

Young guys come with a price. The payoff is often worth that price though, and even if it isn't you learn something that you need to know sooner rather than later.

19. BakerMaker

Yeah his biggest problem has been the eyes and he was never taught to do that well and it may be a problem. Its why he will be dinking and dunking quite a bit with an occasional deep throw here and there.

Lack of timing is something a lot of rookies deal with, especially when they don't have many in game snaps with the starters like Geno had.

20. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he has more upside than el taco does. moves the chains, doesn't give the ball away, more accurate passer.

he can start until smith is ready. the only qb who should be cut is el taco, who would not even be there now if it wasn't for the guaranteed contract cap hit.:sad: