Why all the hate about Wilson's size and bashing from analysts?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Apr 30, 2021.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

The media loves to bash the Jets and they have good reason based on the past coaches, current owner and horrible drafts of the past.

But I hate when they pick apart our pick for reasons like a one year wonder, but forget to mention Lance was not only a one year wonder, but that it was two years ago he played it against weak opponents and that his only outing since was pretty bad where he only completed 50% of his passes, and had an INT everyone forgets about. The best thing Lance has done in the past year was opt out, because if he had played he might have been lucky to be drafted in the 1st round the way he looked in that game.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lance didn't opt out, the conference didn't play football.

The media has well documented how raw Lance is - ESPN put up the stat of how he has the least pass attempts of a top pick ever. He has such superior raw skills that it's deemed worth it. I wouldn't take him if I wasn't an established franchise like the 49ers.

I'm not saying this to be snobby, but diversify what you read. It'll open your mind to people who love and hate all picks. CBS and ESPN couldn't be more different at times with grades. Throw Fox Sports, the Athletic, Bleacher Report, etc. in there. Some of these places have hacks some don't. But they don't all agree with each other.

It's refreshing.

legler82 likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'd love to know the reasoning for SF picking Lance over Fields. By all acounts here, Fields had the highest ceiling. So why go with a guy that's barely played? I don't get it.

REVISion likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Forget Fields for a second. Trading up to take a guy from FCS with as little starting experience and other than one game - a nearly two year gap between playing is the boldest decision I can remember since the Texans shocked the world and took Mario Williams #1 overall.

When you just went to a Super Bowl and are anointed as one of the best young coaches in the game, you and your front office can make bold moves like that though.

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You can? Ok it's not like they were sitting at 3. They traded 2 future first would picks for him. If he flops, SF will be set back for several years. No one will give them a pass.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

I think the player can end up as a relative flop and still end up looking like Garoppollo did in the playoff run. I mean if you watched him that year he had more than a third of his touchdowns against two bottom tier defenses in three games (Cincinnati, Arizona - 2x) while they through dink and dunk screens to Kittle all day (New Orleans game where he "lit" it up).

The offensive talent is so damn deep (Samuel, Aiyuk, Kittle), the offensive line is great and they have a generational talent on the edge with complimentary pieces.

Obviously if they start going 6-11 every year they're toast.