Who's your choice for head coach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Who do you want as HC?

1. Jim Harbaugh

80 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. Todd Bowles

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Kyle Shanahan

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Vic Fangio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gus Mazhlan

20 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Pep Hamiliton

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Adam Gase

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Other

29 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

Wrong thread

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The two best college coaches are Saban and Urban Meyer. Malzahn's done a good but not great job. Same with Sumlin. One guy never mentioned is Mike Shanahan (not Kyle). Not sure if you can blame him for the Redskins and he did have some success there. I assume it'll be Idzik and Woody doing the interviews and making the final call.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is my top choice, if he can't be had I'd like either Malzahn or Brian Kelly.

5. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Da Bears say hi

6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

I can't believe some of you want Kubiak or Shanahan. Yuck.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'd suggest anyone looking toward Kubiak join a Texans board and ask what the people there think of the idea.

74 likes this.
  8. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Kyle had kind of a successful offense with hoyer, no RB, and no josh Gordon. He also made an offense to help RG3 so adaptability.

Would be interesting to pair him with a young QB

almbleamal likes this.
  9. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

sorry but every present must go why would a potential great coach or even an established coach come when idzik is in charge. So you can cross of harbaugh or bowles two guys that may be highly sort after if they are available and work with Idzik.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

If he had a different last name I don't think anyone would know who he was.

11. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Jon grudgen, get him out of the booth

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Well played sir

13. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

He's done a pretty good job for someone who'd have no name...

14. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Easy Answer. The Jet's at minimum (depending on who they cut) will have 60 million dollars to spend and will be drafting anywhere from 2nd to 5th. The Jets present an opportunity for a coach to come in and to morph the team how he wants immediately. That's a rare situation in the NFL. Usually when positions open up, you have to be willing to deal with the players that are already in place (look at Redskins last year), or are in really bad cap situations (Giants this year). The Giants already have 118 million spent for next season. They are going to have to find a coach who thinks he can make the current cast, which is a 3 win team that can't beat the Jaguars, into a winner.

I like some of the other names listed like Harbaugh and Malzahn, but one name that no one has mentioned that I think would be a home run is Bret Bielema. He took a Wisconsin team that never gets the talent of an Ohio State or Michigan and made then Big Ten champs 3 years in a row, and very quickly he is taking an Arkansas team that was in disarray after the Petrino scandal and making them very competitive, and IMO if he stays at Arkansas, within 2 years he will have them competing for a National Title.

That's the one thing that scares me with Malzahn. Yes he took over a 3-9 team and flipped it to 12-2 right away, but was it because he was an amazing coach, or was it because he is an amazing recruiter and already had a ton of top level talent. That's the real reason guy's like Spurrier and Saban failed in the NFL. They are amazing recruiters, but what good is that in the NFL. Same reason why Chip Kelly is finding success. His recruiting classes at Oregon compared to other top teams was consistently weaker but he is such a good coach that it didn't matter.

Brook! likes this.
  15. Superhippy

Superhippy Well-Known Member

Eli's record over the past three seasons is 19 - 25, and has thrown 66 TD's and 54 INT's in those three seasons, not to mention he hasn't cracked 4,000 yards in those years either (and won't this year either). As a Jet fan it's hard to admit this, but I have always actually liked Eli, probably because he is always in his brother's shadow, but from every indication he is clearly past his prime. He's already very fortunate to have two rings, I have a very hard time envisioning a scenario where he wins a 3rd, especially in a division with the Eagles and Cowboys building to potential titles, and a conference with teams like the Packers and Seahawks that are not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Just look at the AFC though. It's led by a pair of nearly 40 year old QB's and otherwise a pile of mediocre teams. A multi-year rebuild done right could lead to a Jets team that could dominate the conference. I'm not so sure a Giants rebuild done right with their cap situation and declining QB could really do the same.

16. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Joe Lombardi

17. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I hear Rich Kotite is available. Gotta sign that beast before someone else snaps him up!

18. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what you say in this post. On paper, or in a vacuum, the Jets present an attractive landing spot for any head coach. The problem is the league mindset about the Jets. All you hear is "Escape from New York", or "Black Hole", when people talk about us. Any established guy who comes here only wins if he has quick success then splits before he wears out his welcome.(eg Parcells) Its why I can't see Harbaugh coming here, unless he's given to us on a silver platter by SF, who would be trying to keep him away from cross-town rival in Oakland, (unless, of course, Oakland is moving to LA effective next year).

19. Aewhistory

That is disturbing..... Very disturbing. I think this dude needs to see a urologist.

20. Aewhistory

While I'm not pulling for Kubiak, you could have made the same EXACT argument about BB over a decade ago. He was a great DC who had been a piss poor HC, so why hire him? Except that guys often make mistakes with their first go around and can sometimes improve the second time around. Of course, Magini and Edwards seem to disprove this theory, but I'll put it out there anyway. :)