Who's your choice for head coach?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ArmandJ, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Who do you want as HC?

1. Jim Harbaugh

80 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. Todd Bowles

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Kyle Shanahan

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Vic Fangio

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Gus Mazhlan

20 vote(s)
    13.6%
  6. Pep Hamiliton

3 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. Adam Gase

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Other

29 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Our head coach isn't going to matter if the personnel isn't improved.

Rex will most likely be the 2nd most sought after candidate if he gets fired. So unless we hire Harbaugh we are in all likelihood downgrading at head coach.

Jay Gruden is a guy id like to have here. Hasn't been great with the Skins but I like his outlook. But him being able to bench RG3 tells me he has some power and is likely to be back there.

UtahGetMe2 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Obviously Harbaugh. If not, then I'd look at Malzahn and Gase in that order. From the college ranks, I want Sumlin or Shaw after Malzahn. Any of them are a vast improvement over Rex.

#22 JetsNation06, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Would someone explain to me the current fascination with college coaches in the NFL. I understand Harbaugh and the interest in Brian Shaw. They both had experience in the NFL. But it is really getting stupid. Mark Helfrich, Chip Kelly's successor, is being mentioned as a possible NFL coach. His record speaks for itself, but he only has two years head coaching experience at any level. Are NFL assistant coaches really that bad?

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

most NFL coordinators have no experience head coaching at any level, and most college head coaches have limited to no experience with the NFL.
    so really you can knock either approach.

ideally i prefer some head coaching experience, NFL experience, as well as innovation on one side of the ball.
    not too many candidates like that though.

5. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Yes. I get you. But it seems like every proven NFL coach would rather be a sports analyst than Big Kahuna.. They just tease franchises with mild interest. No wonder the Shanahans and Kiffins of this world get so many chances.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While just because Bowles is a defensive coach doesn't mean he can't/won't be a good HC, and just because someone else is an offensive coach, doesn't mean he will be a good HC, I'm ready for the new HC to be someone with an offensive background and who has helped develop young QBs. We've tried a whole freaking slew of former DCs as HC and it hasn't worked. It's time to try an offensive mind. I don't want any coach with a defensive background to be hired as the new HC. Period.

#26 NCJetsfan, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    almbleamal likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

That's exactly why I prefer a collegiate HC. Being HC is very different than being a coordinator. Yes, NFL experience is important and would certainly help, but not more important imo than having HC experience, especially with some collegiate teams these days being better than the dregs teams in the NFL.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Miami Dolphins Offensive Coordinator Bill Lazor

http://nflmocks.com/2014/08/13/nfl-head-coach-watch-bill-lazor-rising-fast/

9. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Harbaugh is the guy. No question about it. You bring him in with a GM he can work with and let him build up your organization, similar to the way Parcells built up the Jets. Don't care about his feud with the GM, his track record as a college and pro HC is to good to overlook.

Now I have no question if Harbaugh wants to come to the East Coast but if he does I would break the bank for the man. If he doesn't....

I'd probably go after a guy like Jon Gruden who probably wont come here, or (brace yourselves) even Gary Kubiak. I know Kubiak is a weird choice but i'm tired of going after the hot defensive coordinator, and say what you want about him but he has taken that Ravens team from a bottom of the league offense last year to a top ten offense this year without Ray Rice, from a YPG and PPG standpoint. I just want a complete change, an offensive minded coach who has NFL head coaching experience. We haven't hired one since Parcells. The Jets are always the test dummy for guys getting their first gigs. Why not change it up and try something different? I'm tired of dealing with learning curves and inexperience.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Gary Kubiak is the guy I want for head coach.

Prior head coaching experience - check
    Current offensive coordinator - check

Get Gary Kubaik as head coach, grab one of the stud running backs with our second round pick, and start to rebuild the offensive line. Also add play-makers to the line backing core and secondary.

We go with a ground and pound attack with a journeyman QB in year one.

In years two and three we add our franchise QB and a super star reciever as we continue to rebuild the offensive line.

Big Blocker likes this.
  11. legler82

Kubiak is very much like MM and some might say Rex in that he is a very good coordinator but not a good head coach.

12. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

I vote for Gus Malzahn.

He took over with a team in 2012 that went 3–9 (0–8 in the SEC) and brought them to the national championship game his first year there. He has proven to be the anti-Rex in the way he coaches (see adapting to the players he has to maximize the success of the team instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole).

If we get Malzahn & Mariota I will cream my pants.

[​IMG]

But since we're the Jets, we will probably end up with Norv Turner and Jameis Winston.

BleedGreen89 likes this.
  13. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

That might be true. But we don't know enough about a lot of these assistants is my point. I'm not advocating Kubiak as much as I am advocating somebody with some experience under their belt. It doesn't have to be him, but we've seen guys get second chances in the NFL and be successful.

I really just want to see the Jets go against what they always do.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Ill take Malzahn HC, Turner or Trestman as the OC, and Brett Venables from Clemson as DC. Make it happen new GM

16. legler82

My problem with Kubiak as a HC is that several of his teams underachieved; that's not a good sign for a HC.

17. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Your right it's not. Can't argue that.

18. legler82

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...coaches-for/tqubwluzSgxBPSMDXsT9YO/story.html

Which NFL assistant coaches have done the best in 2014?

19. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

it's an interesting argument, and one that could be made from either angle.

with collegiate HC's, you already have a sense of how they lead, organize and prepare. you also have an insight into the type of football they want to play, at least at the college level.
    for instance, with Malzahm, we know he commits to running the football in college, making him less likely to go all Spurrier in the NFL.

the flip side is leading men is a lot different than leading kids. college coaches who treat NFL players like kids don't last. For every Carroll, there is a Schiano.
    i also want to know they can be innovative at one aspect of the ball at the NFL level. Things that work in college don't necessarily fly in the NFL. There is too much speed, and too much parity.

Plenty of college coaches have flopped in the NFL, and more recently, plenty who are doing well.
    The same can be said for NFL coordinators getting their first HC shot. Hell John Harbaugh was a special teams coach. Sean Payton was the scapegoat of the Giants as an OC. Arians had many NFL roles, and was eventually run out of Pitt.

It comes down to getting the right guy, who meshes with what the team is looking to philosophically do from the FO on down.
    Our first move should be getting the FO in order quickly (move on from Idzik), so we can select a coach before other teams scoop them up.

legler82 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Just because Malzahn has run the ball a lot at Auburn, doens't mean that's what he'd do in the NFL. IMO he has shown himself to be a guy who adapts to the talent at hand and he is innovative and a great play caller.

Yes, leading men is different than leading kids, but just because someone has been a position coach or coordinator in the NFL doesn't mean he knows how to lead men, either, at least not as a HC. Yes, plenty of college HCs have bombed in the NFL, but as you also say, so have plenty of former coordinators. With all things being equal, I prefer someone who has experience as an actual HC, someone who is used to being over and responsible for all 3 facets of the team, and who is used to leading, motivating and game planning for a whole team and not just one facet of a team.

Arians was one of my top choices for the Jets. He has great success as an OC and in developing QBs. Maybe one of the reasons Harbaugh is having so many problems in SF is precisely because he had never been a HC before. He knows football, Xs and Os, but not how to lead and balance the different aspects of being HC, and he has let his ego run amok.