Who would you take at 4?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Feb 24, 2022.

?

Who ya taking TGG??

1. Ikem Ekwonu

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Kayvon Thibodeaux

45 vote(s)
    80.4%
  3. Other (comment who below)

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I give up.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They may have just been blowing smoke, but the Jets have said that they're very happy with their LBs, so I'm not sure you'll even see the Jets taking a LB, much less one early. Of course, if it was only smoke, then they will.

Burks has been my #1 WR for over 2 months. I don't want London at all. I'd rather have Wilson than London, but imo Burks is a perfect scheme fit and totally what we need. I think he's going to be a stud in the NFL. IMO the Jets need a topflight WR to pair with Moore. Aside from Burks, Wilson, and London, there's only Dotson, and he's a freaking shrimp. I'd rather have him than nothing or London, but will be disappointed if we pass on Burks, take some other position and then take Dotson or wind up missing out on a topflight WR.

3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Hard not to love Hamilton, but the question is whether you spend a first round pick (or a top ten pick) on him. That's a very different question.

ColoradoContrails and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Thats why I think they’ll take Wilson - they want WR like Moore, who are interchangeable. But to be fair I haven’t watched enough of them, just going by what I’ve read

5. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I have Burks as WR #1 too, but it does seems like he's 3 or 4 on most analysts boards. I honestly don't understand why. I can't find a weakness in his game. Some might argue route tree, but you can't blame the guy for performing in the role he was asked to. He also played with a bum wing and still torched Bama,

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. Why would they want a WR who is identical with Moore? Being interchangeable is not a plus, it's a negative imo. It means your WR corps is limited in what it can do. IMO you need players with different skill sets and sizes who will complement each other, and offer something different. Then the D doesn't know who or what to cover. If your WRs are interchangeable and the same (and small), they know what to cover, and don't have to worry about fades, about a big WR bullying their DBs, the QB throwing the ball up for the WR to climb the ladder and go get it.

If they take Wilson and Burks is still on the board, I'll think they've lost their minds.

7. NCJetsfan

Spot on. I think the route tree thing is exactly it. Usually players his size aren't versatile like Deebo Samuel. They are just plain WRs. With his limited route tree and his route running needing refinement, I think they just dismiss him as a lesser talent or lesser prospect because he has things he needs to work on. That kind of thinking is short-sighted imo. You draft a player for his career and his potential, not for what he can do his rookie season. I think he's going to make a LOT of media people look like the idiots they are when he gets to the NFL.

8. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am gonna go totally against the grain here....if we can walk away from the First Round with Burks and Sauce I would be thrilled

dawinner127 likes this.
  9. PJ4Ever

How is it a negative? Teams won’t know where guys will line up. This is why guys like Kupp and Hill are so valuable they can play inside or out. They’re not limited in what they can do because they do everything. Davis on the outside and Wilson/Moore each playing slot half the time sounds delicious to me.

Again, I gotta watch more but right now I’m taking Wilson. By far the better route runner.

10. NCJetsfan

No they don't do everything and can't. In my previous post I listed why this is a negative and what they can't do. IMO you and others are too hung up on route running. There are other aspects to WR play than just route running. It's important, but not more important than hands, and when it means that the WR you want to take is too similar to another WR you have and not a complement, it is a negative.

It may sound delicious to you, but that is not what NFL teams aspire to do. They look to have WRs with differeing skill sets that complement each other, not duplicate each other. That's pretty common knowledge.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Our first pick this year is interesting because I legitimately have no idea who we're going to take. It was pretty clear we were taking Wilson for a few months prior to the draft last year.

Poeman and LAJet like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Becton was the star of the combine and Zach Wilson had the most talked about pro day

13. PJ4Ever

Route running is absolutely more important than hands. Who gives a shit if you can catch, but not get open?The list of league leaders at drops is usually a list of the best WR in football.

Again, I gotta watch these guys more, but it’s not a bad thing to have two great route runners on the same team. They’re not clones.

14. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't. That's totally ridiculous and makes zero sense! What good is it to get open and then drop the ball? Further, if a WR drops too many passes, the QB will lose faith in him and stop throwing the ball to him. The most important thing is catching the ball not getting open. One can not get open and still catch the ball.in a contested catch. Getting open is just the first part of the equation. The rest of the equation is then catching the ball, and hopefully getting YAC and/or scoring. Lots of passes are caught in the NFL in contested catch situations. No game was ever won because the WRs got open, but then dropped the ball.

Like who you like. I could care less about that. I'm just pointing out the fallacy in your reasoning.

15. PJ4Ever

Drops are overrated. Jamar Chase led the league in drops this season. Mic drop.

To clarify: obviously you can’t drop every pass and be a good WR, but I’d much rather a guy who’s open all day and drops a few than a guy who has to rely on contested catches all day long. Some guys can do it, but it’s tough.

#115 PJ4Ever, Mar 4, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  16. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

There are plenty of analysts who don’t even know whether Burks is a first rounder, especially with all the other great wr prospects. His route running is extremely poor. He can’t run anything where he has to stop to either come back or make a cut. Go routes and posts are fine. He gets absolutely no elevation when he jumps to high point a ball. His separation is questionable. He’s dropped some balls in contested situations. He has 2 things going for him: his straight line speed is great, and he uses his body well to shield and box out defenders. As far as everything else needed for a great wr who runs all the routes, gets separation, and can be counted on in any situation, he’s not that. When I look at the other Wrs in this draft I’d rather pick many over him.

REVISion likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Where do you get that crap? I've seen nothing in the videos of him to confirm that, nor have I read any such thing anywhere. Your statement that he gets no elevation when jumps is total crap, so that makes me believe the rest of what you post is crap as well.

With all the other great WR prospects? LOL

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Vertical jump measurement is there to approximate elevation. Of the 40 WRs two were over 39 inches and three were under 32 inches; five did not participate putting thirty between 32 and 39. Burks was at 32; maybe the "total crap" has objective basis rather than subjective bias.

WalterFootball.com: Combine

REVISion, PJ4Ever and Bills over Jets like this.
  19. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

If you do the math on Wilson and Burks' arm length, hand size, height and vertical then it's arguable they have basically the same maximum elevation height.

Burks is 2 inches taller but he also had one of the lowest verticals of any WR at the combine. Not sure why you're digging your heels in on this elevation thing when we have actual proof he can't jump that high.