Who was the Worst Coach in NY Jets history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 20, 2021.

?

Worst coach in Jets history

1. Richie Kotite

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Adam Gase

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@mrjet80 ^^^He was no Pat Leahy, that's for sure. ;)

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

In the end I'd vote a Holtz/Gase tie....

We had to lisetn to Holtz talk garbage for yeARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS

Since1969 likes this.
  3. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Excellent post! Loved the names mentioned. Brings back more shitty Jets memories but also some great ones too. LOL

Ken O'Brien, Rob Moore, Boomer Esisian, Blair Thomas, horrible Foxboro weather games, & the largely forgotten Bruce Coslet era with the Jets. Loved Blair in college.

My only Jets game at Foxboro was that freezing cold beauty in 91. Perhaps Ken O'Brien's last great moment as Jets QB. A great precise final drive if I remember correctly. It was so cold. My ass froze to the metal benches.

I wrote an entire post in response to your post and was not logged in and lost everything.

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Which one Parcells or Bellicheck?

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

LOL that happened to me yesterday with my post

6. patleahy

@major33 greatpost Major33! It is always great to discuss forgotten eras in Jets football history, and the Coslet era definitely seems to be lost to the ravages of time. Great to read your memories from that time, as well as Mr. Jet's memories. I thought I might one of the few guys who still remembered Bruce and Browning and Boomer, et. al., lol.

major33 likes this.
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Kotite.

8. major33

Man, I had some really good material in there that you would have appreciated.

I included my only Jets game at Foxboro in that post since it had many things you talked about in your post. It was the Bruce Coslet Era, Ken O'Brien, Bad Weather Patriots game, Typical Jets collapse, Lots of turnovers, but I was hoping you could jog my memory about the final Jets drive. I remember it as KOB making some great passes and the entire team stepping up after a miserable sloppy turnover-filled second half. He marched them right down the field into the endzone. Am I correct? So cold.

Another thing I brought up in my Land of the Lost post was a game later in that season which my grandfather took me to in Miami. I talked about what it was like to go to the old Orange Bowl. Had a few pictures in there of how cool the outside of that stadium was, and of course its placement right in the middle of a neighborhood. There was no parking. You parked in people's driveways and their front lawns. Yep. For a fee. Walking through the neighborhood to the stadium and seeing Miami Orange Bowl was always so cool especially as a kid.

This is what my grandfather and I would see after parking in someone's driveway.

[​IMG]

A shame it was torn down & I think a big loss for the NFL. A football jewel like Fenway and Wrigley in baseball. So many great pro and college games there.

NCJetsfan, mrjet80 and patleahy like this.
  9. patleahy

@major33 another great post major!!! University of MIami football fans were very upset that the Orange Bowl was torn down. Until your post, I had no idea it was located right in the middle of an actual neighborhood, a la Lambeau Field. I was thought it was really cool how Lambeau is located right amongst suburban homes and people who live in the town can actually walk to the games. I grew up 15 minutes away from Giants Stadium, so I always assumed that all pro sports stadiums were located in large industrial/entertainment/sports complexes astride major highways. There is definitely a certain nostalgic charm to stadiums that are legitimately part of local neighborhoods.

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. mrjet80

In regards to the NE game I believe you are getting two different games mixed up. The sloppy rainy game was the 6-0 first ever Jets road shutout in 1993. NE was driving in the final minute but fumbled after a completed pass around the 5 yard line. The Ken O’Brien drive was the 1991 game ( cold but clear ). The Patriots had stormed back from a 21-0 Jets lead after consecutive turnovers and tied the game late. O’Brien responded with the great drive you mention and the Jets took the lead back 28-21. However they left time on the clock for the Patriots to drive back down the field. They drove to the one yard line with time for one last play. The Jets stuffed them on the goal line to preserve the win. Which game did you attend?

I know all about the Orange Bowl - never went to a Jets game there but we had some relatives ( Dolphins fans ) one had season tickets and my father went to a couple of non Jets games and he mentioned the parking in people’s yards. I worked local security during in 1995 for area sports and did a Hurricanes game in the Orange Bowl. I actually stood in the field and after the game walked through the tunnel Namath did with his finger wagging. LOL .....

#70 mrjet80, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. major33

The 28-21 game. Not rainy, but very windy and cold. Foxboro had another level of cold, sort of like the midwest. The wind chill must have been dropping fast as the game went on which helped the Patriots come back. That entire stadium was open to the elements & sat elevated on a hill making it much worse. Cool place though since it was built in the woods and I imagine it much better when it's warmer.

Ha another thing I forgot. The Pats comeback that fell short. The final Ken O'Brien drive was great though.

I too have walked on the field. Ha I just realized you said you did security. I walked right onto the field at the open end. Just sat there in the end zone in an empty stadium while the sprinklers were on and nobody said anything. Bad security! LOL

12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I went to a game against New England in the early 90's. It was their old stadium and the seating was bleachers. It was freezing cold and the vendors were selling ice cold "hot" chocolate. The Jets opened up a huge lead and by halftime the standium was half empty. In the 4th quarter the Pats engineered a a furious comeback. Irving Fryer caught fire. The Pats had the ball needing a TD to win in the final minutes. Our seats were around the 50. As the Pats were marching for the win, my group and I just moved with the ball. Eventually the Pats had the ball goal to go for the win and the Jets made a huge defensive stand on 4th down and we won. That was an exciting game in a lost season.

NCJetsfan, Ralebird and patleahy like this.
  13. mrjet80

LOL yeah I only did it for one year I didn’t work for the Orange Bowl just pro sporting events and concerts in South Florida stadiums and venues ..... it sucked but cool perks.

That 1991 game which I watched on tv at the time was when I realized what an old dump that stadium was. During a close up of the Jets huddle in the background you could see trees/garbage cans out side of the stadium with a rusted payphone next to it LOL.

#73 mrjet80, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
  14. major33

How about that, we went to the same game. I had to have been drunk to withstand the torture of the elements. The cold and metal bleachers were not a good combination for any human being. I remember they had troughs to pee in. It was like a big high school stadium.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  15. mrjet80

I never been to a Patriots home game but even by watching on tv I got that feeling ..... the stadium loud speaker even sounded high schoolish ...

major33 likes this.
  16. major33

The garbage cans were for all the beer bottles/cans/puking fans & the foil wrappers used to wrap the sausage & peppers hero they would serve outside the stadium. Everyone had to get one. It was a thing. Not a fan of sausage & peppers but that was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had.

It was beyond a dump far from Boston. It was one road in, one road out in the middle of nowhere. You were literally driving through a forest on a one lane clogged road which is why you saw all those trees on TV. The parking lot was a nightmare and the stadium was entirely open to the wind, rain/snow, and sun.

At least at Shea, you had an overhang, or you could go inside by the ramps to warm up a little and the hot chocolate machine was usually working. LOL Giants stadium had really good hot chocolate. Don't have to worry about that in Florida. Hate the cold.

Payphones. huh! I remember those. Everything was rusted and falling apart. LOL Foxboro always looked like it had a slick shiny field on TV. You noticed everything outside the stadium like you said which was so distracting especially with the fans walking up the hill into the stadium. That was a nightmare walk just to get from the parking lot to the stadium.

We had it good at Shea. I guess God made up for their horrible experience at the old Foxboro and granted them, Brady and Belichick. Hopefully, it's our turn now. We've suffered enough.

NCJetsfan, mrjet80 and patleahy like this.
  17. mrjet80

Have you ever been to Buffalo? Very similar parking lot set up / old stadium. I went to a couple games there - same walk through the woods. It’s kinda set back from an old neighborhood ....

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We were chanting at Fryer for beating his wife I miss the days when the Pats were the laughingstock of the NFL.

major33 and patleahy like this.
  19. patleahy

didn't she once injure him and cause him to miss a game or two bc she sliced him with a knife during a domestic dispute? I seem to remember something like that happening.

20. major33

You have a great memory too. You jogged mine since I haven't thought about Fryer in a very long time. He scored on a long pass in that game to begin their comeback.

I was trying to remember what plays were called on the final Jets drive since I do remember Toon catching a bunch of sideline passes. But I also think one of our offensive players left with a concussion, not sure who. I think Blair Thomas even contributed on that drive. Made a big first down, right? I wish I had the drive chart of that game. Can I watch it online?