Who should Start Vick or Smith?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Who should Start Vick or Smith?

1. Smith

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. Vick

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Someone else (who?)

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

You didn't realize how many people on here are paid consultants for the nfl. Bill parcells himself couldn't make most of his decisions if he didnt reach out to some on this board for there approval.

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I'm casting my vote for Geno as of right now, but it's impossible to really give a vote without seeing how they are preforming.

3. choochmmm9

choochmmm9 New Member

(first time poster, long time lurker)

I would like to say it's Geno, but I have a feeling it will be Vick. If Vick has a good camp, it will be a tough call (Rex? Idzik?) to go with the 'future' in Geno or the 'veteran' in Vick.

4. DMarsh6

DMarsh6 Active Member

Welcome to the board. I share your thoughts exactly. I need to see what Geno can do when he actually has some talent around him though. I think if he's even close to Vick performance wise he will get the starting job.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Although I am not high on Smith and his prospects, and think Vick is clearly the better talent, 2014 is an opportunity to either find out Smith is viable, or not. In theory that should be a factor saying he gets the nod unless Vick appears "enough" better.

Having said that I am virtually sure that Vick is better.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Right now, Vick is prob the better player BUT, this could absolutely change once TC begins. Vick has maximized his potential in the NFL he won't get any better then what we saw last season.

7. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

My god i just searched mike Vick on twitter and seen nothing but injured dog photos and protest. Dont know how accurate this is but their "SUPPOSEDLY" gonna be a boycott to keep him out of Cortland ... I hope this isn't true and i hope this doesn't get blown up to be a distraction . Of course leave to NY media & fans to make our own distractions for our own players . Shaking my head

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I just hope this blows over by the time training camp rolls around... We have a few months yet.

9. Chris St. John

I didn't vote because I don't know who should start because we haven't had training camp and pre-season. Lets see what happens during that time and than make an educated decision

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Have u heard about this? Google or twitter search "Mike Vick cortland" you'll see loads of petitions ! Im in shock. And disgust. Our fan base is wild man.. But maybe this happened in philly also but i live here in philly and everyone was happy about Vick

11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

That shit is all going to be a minor blip on the radar screen come September.

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I unfortunately doubt that.

13. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Why is Vick the better talent? He hasn't thrown 20 TDs in 5 years. He completed 54% of his throws last year. He has a 35/27 TD-Int ratio the past 3 years. Oh and lets not forget that he's taken SEVENTY sacks in less than 2 1/2 season of playing time the last 3 years. On top of all this he is a an eggshell and drive killer with his backward running who takes constant bone-shattering punishment due to his reckless style.

I just don't see him as that good of a starting quarterback. As a back up? Fine. I'll happily take him. But aside from his name and arm strength I font see much to be hyped about as a full-season starter.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How's Tebow doing?

15. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I don't see the connection at all.

I have no issue with Vick whatsoever but people won't let the dog fighting ring go.

16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Wasn't it you who was making ridiculous analyses of Vick based on not having that many total yards each of the last three seasons? Despite the fact that he has not played full seasons during this time?

Look, it is completely fair to say that Vick has issues staying on the field. But at least last year it is also the case that Foles played great once he got on the field, after showing much promise in 12. So far as I am aware Vick is not currently injured or recovering from injury. He's healthy. Will he stay healthy? Yes, that is a real question, and should be a real concern.

I take it you are all in on Smith. I cannot fathom that position among Jet fans. Smith was one of the worst players ever to be an NFL starting Qb. Will he better this year? I hope so, but there's no guarantees there. It is imo as likely he will be out of the league two to three years from now as that he will be an average NFL Qb.

Comparing Vick to Smith, Vick has better accuracy, better ypa, does not turn the ball over near as much, and knows what he's doing out there. Does he run the ball too much? Yes, he still does imo, but less so by a good deal than he did in Atlanta.

#96 Big Blocker, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  17. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Right now I am going with Smith. But if he starts to carry the team down with him then dust off Vick.

18. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I don't know what you are talking about at all. I never made any analysis of Vick on-field or off-field or whatever you're referring to. And I not judging Vick just based on his 7 games last year.

Now that we have removed those straw men, what I actually did say was based on the past THEEE TO FIVE YEARS OF his stats. I believe that's a fair sample to determine who Vick is now. And he's frankly not that good. He's barely a starting-caliber QB. He just has a very big name and legendary zip.

All that being said, I like him as a backup. Hence me being fine with the deal. But I would not be amped to go into the season with him as the starter.

I also never said I was all-in on Geno. If you look at my actual posts from a year ago, you'll see that I never even wanted a QB in the draft. The reason I ended up liking the Geno pick is because it was in the 2nd round which is a great place to get a guy who could have been the 3rd overall pick last year.

Geno showed flashes as we all know. Why I think he deserves more time, aside from the obvious (being a rookie) is because he played with absolute garbage at receiver last year. We had without question the worst receiving corps in the league. Geno also played with guys signed off the street meaning he's playing with dudes he's never thrown to who were learning the offense on the fly. And his one safety valve with good hands got suspended mid-season. That's a ridiculous amount of turmoil for a rookie QB.

So I would like Geno to be the presumptive starter. If he falters, then enter Vick. But the difference is we don't know Geno's ceiling. With Vick we know exactly what we're getting. And it's not that good.

19. rsmehta

rsmehta Active Member

Vick is the play here.

Proven commodity. He's not going to cost you games, and the NYJ will most likely win more games with him in the backfield.
    --------------------------

People forget that geno was the worst ranked qb last year.

Although our record was 8-8, we got killed in our loses and just barely eeked out wins.

The season could have easily been 5-11 or 6-10 if we weren't so lucky.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If they really feel there is a competition and that it isn't just for show then the Jets should be seriously thinking about drafting another QB early. I can't imagine any way Vick will lose and if he is the starter this year and on a one year deal he will be gone when the season is over. Are we then going back to Smith who couldn't beat out a 34 year old Vick? Probably not.