Who should Start Vick or Smith?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Who should Start Vick or Smith?

1. Smith

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. Vick

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Someone else (who?)

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

I didn't mean that literally, by "spring in his step" I meant if he was playing with swagger and feeling confident going into the season (of course coupled with more consistent technique and decision making) it'd be hard not to put him in if he's anywhere near Vick, if only because comfortability has its rewards and can yield better results out on the field.

If the player you're trying to develop seems to be prepped to go on a tear and the vet you signed to push him is doing just as well, what choice would you make?

2. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

There should be a vote for let the battle in training camp decide who starts

3. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

If it were up to me I'd start Geno. No competition is really needed because Vicks knows the offense and it's terminology's. Geno needs all the reps he can get. If Geno struggles they have a proven veteran QB that can step in.

4. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for the white guy.

5. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

It's Geno's job to lose. Let's see what he can do with some real talent around him

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Can you explain this sentence to me please

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

It doesn't seem to matter who's coaching or who the GM is, this franchise just doesn't understand how to draft and develop a QB. Some franchises know how to do it and its almost second nature. The Jets? we turn it into rocket science for kindergarten. Geno's career might be doomed unless someone familiar with the process of QB development gets on our payroll PDQ. You have to wonder if bringing in Vick was to push Geno or replace him for this year. No one knows where Rex stands on this and he doesn't seem to be saying much these days. I do wonder just what must be going thru his mind with all these developments. His GM isn't exactly putting him in the best position to succeed knowing how Rex operates.

This franchise just has to generate drama no matter what. All Idzik has to do now is draft a blue chip QB in the first round and we have the sequel to 2013. At least Woody can take solace in that once again, the team is on the backpages.

Why do I have a sneaky suspicion that Woody likes it like that....

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Its just another year with the Jets,A Qb undermined,Rex fighting for his job again,another back page signing,and so on

chris5533 likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep. Saw this movie last year. Didn't end well...

10. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I think this is different from Tebow and Smith.

Tebow, I think Rex thought the wildcat could overcome the lack of offensive talent and that maybe Tebow could be a viable backup. Very wrong.

After 2012, they knew they were getting rid of Mark and drafted a replacement.

Last year, we could have made the playoffs if we had a decent backup QB, and now we have one. The other mistake they don't want to re-make is coddling the QB.

From the things Vick said, and from Rex saying it'd be very hard to beat Smith no matter who they bring in to compete- it sounds like this is his job to lose. If he implodes they will play Vick to salvage things. That was also the problem we had in 2012, no proven backup (Tebow doesn't count.) I'm okay with Vick being here as long as we give Geno the benefit of the doubt in the competition and let him start as long at least initially.

11. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Seriously, there should be an open comp in TC and pre season who ever performs the best wins.

12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Didn't vote. I want the QB who starts the 3rd preseason game to be the starter on opening day. We should know by then.

13. MenOverGod

MenOverGod Well-Known Member

Simms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think it all comes down to whether Vick can play at a high level from the pocket. Everyone is acting as if Michael Vick is ancient and ready to retire. As a mobile quarterback, he is very old at 33. However, he also has a very strong arm and has proven he can throw at a high level in a west coast offense. 33 years old is still near the prime of a quarterback's career, and if Vick proves in training camp that he can play the position more conventionally (to reduce injury risk) at a much higher level than Geno (which analysts say is likely), I think it would aid both the team and Geno in the long term to let Vick take the reigns and mentor Smith for a year.

15. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I never understood why people think benching a young QB means he's done. These are professional athletes, they'll deal with it. The knock on Smith when we drafted him was that he was raw. Immensely talented, but raw. So OF COURSE he struggled. If he beats Vick for the job, good for him. If he doesn't, we don't have to give up on Geno just because he's on the bench. A year or two learning from MM and all the talent may click in down the road. Whoever is the better QB should start.

onelastchance likes this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Geno can win this battle, and if it's close the Jets will be smart to allow him to the starter. Aside from the extra stuff Vick brings with him - all bad, it wasn't a terrible move. It's about time we had a back-up who could win games if something happens to our starter. He's no Brunell. He's no McElroy. He's no f*cking Woodall.

17. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

Vick will start and it won't even be close.

Only option that would change that is if a rookie QB is drafted that really impresses during camp/pre-season. The question might be is Geno 3rd string or Matt Simms?

Big Blocker likes this.
  18. Denny

Denny Active Member

I would like to see Vick win the job. Only a one year contract. Use him up before he gets hurt and then put the hungry Smith in there to finish the season. They should win ten games.

19. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of giving Vick all of the 1st team reps in the offseason, just for him to get injured in week 3.

I think Geno will be given every opportunity to start, and if the competition is even a little bit close, Geno will win.

The 1985er and Charlie Kelly like this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Whoever wins the competition

/thread