Who should Start Vick or Smith?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Mar 22, 2014.

?

Who should Start Vick or Smith?

1. Smith

73 vote(s)
    67.0%
  2. Vick

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Someone else (who?)

5 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Do the Jets stick by Geno and award him the starting job regardless of TC and pre-season because he is the future and deserves his chance, this time with weapons.

But does a Vick (on decline?) give the Jets a better option to win and take the team forward? Or is he just Geno's back up regardless?

My thoughts are that the job is Geno's to lose and if significant progress isn't made season 2015 will himself become a back-up.

2. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Smith will get the job, but will be on a very short leash. There really putting smith to the test and with rex job going to be held over his head again, he isn't going to take chances if smith is on p ace for 30 turnovers again. Since idzik has disregarded free agency it appears thy dont view themselves as a win now team. This season is all about geno stepping up or not

Kentucky Jet and NJBeliever like this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Vick cannot take the team forward. He can only derail the process of building a young, talented team. Even if he starts and plays brilliantly, he will be too old to build around and will be gone when the players drafted this year and next year are ready to contribute. I hope and pray that Geno is ready to step up and play solid football so that Vick never sees the field.

Whatever the team say about competition, Vick has surely only been brought in as an emergency back-up. Geno must, and will, start.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Neither has taken a single snap in camp, no way to decide who should start. Whoever gives the Jets the best chance to win is the obvious answer though. If it's Vick then the Jets will need to draft another QB next year.

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for GS3 to win the job, but if Vick wins it truly, then everyone will tweak out, only to have Geno starting due to injury by mid season at latest anyway. So I don't really have a strong preference. If Vick could put up another 2010 year, (that won me my fantasy league) with our d, it could be a team better than the '09, & '10 clubs.

6. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Who ever play the best in training camp & that includes Matt Simms

7. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

We would have made the playoffs with Vick last year.. May the best man win.

freemantoon and NYJalltheway like this.
  8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This franchise needs to commit to at least another season of Geno as the starter and put all it's support behind him.
    They can't make the same mistake they made with Sanchez and not surround him with the players he needs to succeed.
    Bringing in Decker was one step in the right direction but more needs to be done to revamp this offense and put some guys on the field that keep defensive coordinators up at night.
    I'm not a fan of Vick but not because I'm a pitbull owner but because he is a player on the downside of his career who is a turn over machine.
    I mean isn't that why nobody wanted Sanchez under center?
    I'm just happy it's a one year deal.

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

didn't vote as my option isn't on the list. Whoever shines the brightest in TC and pre-season. If it's close or a tie then it goes to Geno.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

My gut says it will be Smith BUT he will be on a short leash... If he has back to back bad games we will see Vick

I like the move though.. It shows that we want to win and are covering our bases!

Now all we need is a CB/WR/FS/OLB/TE/G - Hopefully we can trade for a CB or WR and fill the other holes in the draft.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

it should be geno's to lose, vivk doesn't need the snaps and knows m.m.'ssystem. geno should get 70% of the snaps and show he is ready. if he isn't start vick hope for the best and add another qb to the competition next year.

12. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

If Vick has to star,t this team is up shit creek without a paddle - he's an old , past it, injury prone back-up thats all.

13. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Whoever wins it out in camp. I think it will be an open competition and whoever wins it will start. Either way it's good for us really as either Geno wins it and at least we have a very capable backup to step in if he gets hurt or Vick proves he's better than Geno and we have a better QB than we had 24 hours ago. If Geno can't win it out then we may have to address the QB position again next season and Geno might slide into a more permanent backup role...but that's getting a bit ahead of ourselves at this point. We will have to see how it plays out.

Brook! and NYJalltheway like this.
  14. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

What they should have done is have both players compete in preseason for the right to wear #7 and have the starting job.

Ultimately, I think it's Geno Smiths job to lose. Even if Vick is a tiny bit better than Smith, they will start Geno because at this point he has more potential. Vick will only start if Geno completely collapses.

Bellows1 likes this.
  15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Whoever the better QB is should start. Unless Geno has made big strides in the offseason that will likely be Vick. Either scenario is good for the Jets so long as they don't just hand the job to Geno without making him beat out the competition.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think Vick starts the season for a few reasons.
    1. He is probably the best QB on the team and probably adjusts to new receivers with less of a learning curve than Geno.
    2. It gives Geno time to practice with the new receivers without the pressure of game day performance and the constant fear of being benched.
    3. It allows our defense to gel a little before having to come up big, early in the season. If our defense struggles, it does not help a young QB having to carry the team, put this pressure on Vick, he's a short term rental.

I don't know what our schedule looks like for next season. If we have an easy first 2-3 games, it may make sense to let Geno start. If we start with 3 roads games in NE, Denver and GB, maybe Vick is the guy.

17. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Being a Jets fan feels like its Groundhog Day. A young quarterback, who still has a lot to show, immediately has a backup QB with a lot of hoopla surrounding him breathing down his neck.

18. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

How about whomever plays the best, and in the assessment of the coaches gives the team the best chance to win?
    I'd be surprised if that weren't Vick, but I'd also view that as a positive-- i.e. a signal that Geno improved a lot.
    The only way the coaches and FO can screw this up, IMO, is starting one or the other for different reasons.

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I didn't vote as my choice wasn't one of the options. Whoever gives us the best chance to win after a competition in TC should get the start. If it is a close tie, then go with Geno as we all know what Vick can and can't do.

20. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Geno has to be our starter. I will be disappointed if he loses to vick.