Who has the stronger arm Clemens or Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kennyo07, Apr 4, 2009.

?

Who has the stronger arm to make all the throws?

1. Clemens

65 vote(s)
    32.7%
  2. Ratliff

134 vote(s)
    67.3%
  1. TampaBayJetsFan85

2. TampaBayJetsFan85

WOW!!!!!!! Look at this fucking throw from Kellen Clemens right here! He threw the ball @ the 25 yard line and the WR made contact and caught the ball @ the 10 yard line! Wow! What a gun on Kellen...He has a cannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2_Hm_lN2A

Watch that video and you may just wanna re vote on Kellen over Ratliff. And thats while Kellen was in college, something tells me he's gotten alot stronger since working with NFL trainers on strength.

3. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Wow, always thought he had a good arm, but didn't know it was that good. Just had a look at some of his college stats, 152.87 passer rating in his senior year to go with 19 TD's and only 4 INT. Looking forward to really seeing what he can do with a good line, and a run game.

4. TampaBayJetsFan85

Yeah, I've been a Kellen supporter for a while now. I remember watching that youtube video the week we drafted Kellen, I remember looking @ those senior numbers he put up and I was impressed but @ the time, I didnt wanna quit on Pennington as the QB but now I'm glad the Pennington/Coles chapter is a thing of the past and maybe a Kellen/Cotchery chapter has been born.

But yeah, Kellen's arm is much better than alot of Jet fans think, ALOT better. It's just that Kellen haters havnt given the time to research and support the kid. Instead, they root for a QB who put up solid numbers during "Preseason" and judge Kellen on his 2007 year behind the worst O-Line in Jets history

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Favre, Cutler, Russell.. those QBs have cannons. I think Clemens is the future and I know he has a good arm, but it isn't a cannon and it really isn't anything special. Most NFL QBs can launch a ball like that.

6. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Clemens has a good but not great arm. He has good timing, rhythm and accuracy on short and intermediate passes. He does not have a cannon arm and also is not particularly accurate on deep throws. Ratliff's arm is stronger by far and has more velocity on all his throws, the deep ball in particular. Whether he is a better all around QB than Clemens remains to be seen but in terms of his arm strength, Clemens is not even close to Ratliff who, like Cutler, Favre, Flacco and Old Man Vinnie T, has a true cannon attached to his shoulder.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I want a QB who wins game. Arm strength is such an overrated aspect of the position. I heard enough of this crap when Pennington (who won games) was the Jet QB. Can we put it to rest??? Nagle had one of the strongest arms in Jet QB history and where did it get him??? Jeff George had a cannon.

If you want to watch arm strength and care that much about how far a QB can throw, watch the Pass portion of the Punt, Pass and Kick competition. By the way, how many passes that travel 50+ yards in the air does a starting NFL QB complete each season? One? What a meaningless statistic.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Watching those videos, I had forgotten how much I hated McCareins. His drops were inexcusable and that one pass that he tipped (and it was then intercepted) was horrendous. Both of those balls should have been caught, period. God, I hated that guy toward the end.

9. pender30

pender30 Member

Yeah, I'll always wonder if anything would have gone differently if McCareins catches that ball and we go on to win that game. Clemens was on fire at the end.

10. Section 227. Row 5

After looking at those video clips, my opinion is those balls were catchable. And I remember thinking they were catchable even at the time.

The two (one drop, one mishandle that resulted in the turnover) by McCareins and the one by Coles were all very catchable balls, IMO, so I'm not sure where you've "heard people saying that Clemens' throws are hard to catch."

Those plays right there, IMO, are why many, many Jets fans are down on Clemens... and it even may have been that way by Mangini himself. I think, when people think of Clemens' play, they think of those flukie mis-catches and bumbles (tips) and drops.

Put Clemens behind our current O-line and give him some receivers who won't drop the fucking ball (like McCareins) and I think you're going to see a COMPLETELY different QB than you remember from those videos.

11. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Ratliff- he makes those deep throws effortlessly. He also has no difficulty seeing over the line. Roughly 3:1 in favor of Ratliff and I agree.

12. Section 227. Row 5

You're right. It should have never been on Clemens, yet it was, it somehow became a reflection on him. I think that even Mangini somehow inadvertantly put that stuff on Clemens, so much so that it was still Chad getting the bulk of the 1st team snaps the following summer at TC... with Clemens always in the background and never being considered good enough after that.

Oh yeah, Mangini had his supposed "open competition," but that was bullshit, because it was always Chad's to lose and Clemens would have had to light up the TC field day in and day out with flawless performances on a daily basis and not a single screw up to even get a nod from Mangini that MAYBE he was good enough to truly compete. This was also a major contributor to the bringing in of Favre, because not only in Mangini's eyes, but even those of Woody, who knows even less, something had to be done, anything, to prevent Clemens from being getting consideration to compete for the #1 spot.

So Clemens' chances were buried early on, probably from this game in particular, and perhaps somewhat unfairly. This is why I'm saying that Clemens is in a very good postion right now as long as he doesn't get passed over yet one more time by a Cutler or whomever.

If he's given the chance to compete... truly compete this time... behind our current O-line and with a decent selection of WRs to thrwo to, he's going to give Ratliff a good run for his money. Don't forget, Clemens has had plenty of study time and tutoring bench time under both Penny and Favre.

It'll be an interesting TC this year. Too bad yours truly and many of the other guys who attended TC in recent years will not be able to watch and report here due to the cockamaie TC situation now formulating. I would have really loved to have been able to go to this first TC in Jersey this year and pay particular attention to the QB competition, which, in my mind, will be the first truly "open competition" in years.

13. TampaBayJetsFan85

Watch out...This poll is starting to go in favor of Kellen...Kellen is gaining some ground on the preseason champ.

14. Section 227. Row 5

P/S:

I am not voting in this "Stronger Arm" poll because I think it is nonsense. There's so much more to being a good QB than sheer arm strength.

You might as well take vertical leap measurements as a yardstick to measure your WRs and then use that to determine which among them is the best WR you have. Nonsense, because a good WR is so much more than just that one measurement.

15. ........

........ Trolls

To be perfectly honest, I've wondered where a lot of Kellen's arm strength has gone. It could be that playing with Chad, he started putting a lot more 'touch' on the ball, which resulted in softer looking throws. We haven't seen much of him since Chad left, but hopefully Cavanaugh brings the cannon back. I probably watched about 10 of his games in college, and I was always impressed with Clemens' arm.

Either way, Ratty's arm has looked stronger in his limited time, but I honestly can't say one way or another whose is stronger. Both are perfectly adequate to provide a downfield threat, which is all that matters.

16. Section 227. Row 5

There you go...

17. Section 227. Row 5

Interesting point and that could very well be the case. Chad may very well have been instrumental in wanting Clemens to master a little bit of his dink and dunk. No one does the dink and dunk better than Chad.

But ultimately, Clemens needs to find his own game, his own style. Maybe what will emerge as a little bit of Chad's dink and dunk mixed in with Favre's gunslinger style and spiced up occasionally with Clemen's old original college deep bomb.

Now that would be some QB. Give either one of them (Clemens or Ratty) a good O-line, a decent running game, a couple of good TEs, an emerging Weasely Welker-type Chanci Stuckey and maybe one, good deep-threat WR and either one of them can be successful.

Like I say, TC and preseason are going to be VERY interesting this year in the QB department. People who've been thinking that there will be no life after Cutler are mistaken.

18. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

i said this in post 2, this poll has no use what so ever

19. vedmedv

vedmedv Member

arm strength is good on both QBs but Ratliff is taller and can see over the line. Last preseason he looked like he had something special, he made things happen when he needed to.......but.....preseason is preseason. Kellen is as good as any of the free agents available so no need to sign another QB.

20. pender30

pender30 Member

I think a good comparison for an NFL QB would be a professional golfer. Sure, you need a certain amount of distance off the tee, but accuracy and touch are every bit as important. You don't see the guys who win the long drive contests tearing up the PGA.

Can't wait to hear the reports from the predraft minicamp April 16th-18th. I'll be curious which QB's and WR's play well. Is that open to the public?