Which OL prospects fit a wide split formation

Discussion in 'Draft' started by bishop, Apr 4, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, if we got at least two picks in return. But if we just got a 3rd or even just a 2nd, I don't think it would be worth it, and I like Jefferson a lot. Remember, in that scenario, the whole reason for trading down was to take Josh Jones, not to take Jefferson.

2. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

If we trade down it's not for just on player. That is never a good way to draft. You trade back because there could be multiple players at the place you are trading. For us we would have to feel good about several. Like Jones, Jefferson, Jackson, Cleveland. Never go into the draft let alone a trade back and hope one specific player is there. You have to feel good that you will have options.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I don’t think there is anything wrong with Gase’s scheme per se and his pass first mentality is more in line with the modern era of football than years past here. That said, if Gase gets fired, Douglas will have a large say in who comes here and I don’t think he wants to put himself in jeopardy by having another rebuild with a head coach who wants to run something completely different.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. The other OTs Douglas likes may get taken before #11 and he may be committed to taking an OT with his 1st pick because he isn't satisfied with the OL as it presently exists. He may also really like Jones and think he would be a better value than the others, but believe that 11 is too high to take him, and think it would be ideal if he could trade down, get an extra pick or two and then take Jones. He could then get an offer to trade down 3-5 spots or contact another team about trading down and work out a deal. He would then trade down with the idea of adding a pick or two and taking Jones. In that scenario he would be targeting Jones and not anyone else.

Of course he could trade down just to get more picks, and not have one particular player targeted, but you can't say that a trade down is never just for one player or that it is not a good way to draft. Sorry, but I totally disagree with that or any such absolutes. There are very few "nevers" in life. Each draft is different and there are different ways to go about building a team. I'd be willing to bet that many times, GMs have traded down with the idea of targeting one specific player.