Which of our draft picks will most likely bust?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 24, 2021.

?

Which of our draft picks will most likely bust?

1. Wilson

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. AVT

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Moore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Carter

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Most of your rationale has little to do with the player tho.
    The Jets were a bust, I’m still not so sure about Darnold.

Pepsiguy5 and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The interesting thing is all 4 are tied together. The better one plays the more likely it is that good play will elevate the other 3.

That being said a 1st rd QB is the most likely to bust. A QB is not only the most scrutinized but the most dependent on the talent around him. It is not just protection and weapons but a good defense is one of the best assets a young QB can have. But a great QB can help elevate everyone around him. I hope ZW will not need to be great to succeed and that RS is right when he said the team will help lift him up.

3. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm not a math guy, but the answer is Carter, right? Because there's two shots at a bust?

Serious reasons are they're both fourth round picks. MC2 (the DB) has good skills, but his size might limit his utility in the league. MC (the RB) has similar size issues, but he seems to be a bit more skilled at his position, comparatively, and there's less of a size penalty for RBs. If I had to pick between the Carters, MC2 has the greatest bust potential.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Moore, man, I'm pumped to see him in action. Really think that he's got a chance to be special. Really hoping that he's better than Moss, and more like Edelman. Moore has comparable measurements, and better speed. Plus, Wilson loves running mesh concepts, which were Edelman's bread and butter, so, there's a chance...

#23 NoodleArm, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it's the 3rd rounders we traded to the Vikings...

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. This was one of those times where we fell into the high draft pick rather than trading up into it, so we didn't give up anything to get the No.2 pick. If Wilson busts it sets us back, of course, because it would probably be two or three years before we realised and moved on, but take him away from that draft and... we had a pretty normal draft, including a first-rounder, and we landed many players to be excited about. And we have two first-rounders next year.

So Wilson busting would set us back, no doubt, but we didn't go all-in on the guy.

#25 ukjetsfan, May 25, 2021
    Last edited: May 26, 2021
    REVISion, Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I went with the lesbian.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Which will probably be next year.

8. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

A 4th round pick can never really be considered a "bust."

I'll go with Sam Darnold since he was a bust the day we drafted him. None of these 4 will be, except maybe our 4th round pick just because round 4 is still round 4 and the odds drop significantly when you get into this stage of the draft.

Wilson is way more talented than Darnold coming out of college.

The answer is always Sam Darnold. Awful. Look forward to seeing highlights of him throwing many picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I believe a good team can be built around the QB position without necessarily having the long term answer at QB, but if Wilson plays at what would be considered “bust” level, its not doing the players around him any favors as far as their own development goes.

Noam likes this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Thats true uk but don't forget if god forbid Wilson was a failure it wouldn't be just what you "lost" to get him it would also be what you "didn't get" In other words if he failed you'd still, after all these years and all this expense need to get some kind of a solution at QB. And no matter what that solution might look like that would cost a significant amount.

You add all that up and no franchise can take that much without serious ramifications.

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

'Bust' is rated by the difference between actual vs anticipated performance. First thought is Wilson due to the position, but after suffering thru Nacho and Sam, I think most of us will be pleasantly surprised if Wilson plays really good. In other words, our anticipated performance for Wilson is not good. We'll all say "that's pretty much what we've come to expect" if he busts.

Noam likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

while a QB isn't solely responsible for wins and losses, his play was still pretty bad. like deshaun watson went 4-12 but he made the pro bowl. darnold was at the bottom of the league for QBs in almost every category
    thats too fast to judge but i'm sure someone will

cval likes this.
  13. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

It would hurt, no doubt, but if we'd given up multiple first-round picks to move up to take him, the pain would continue for much longer.

I think we're all hoping this is a non-issue and he plays well in his first year and goes on to have a great career with us!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I respectfully don't like this thread lol

The most likely is Wilson as he plays QB which has a high bust rate.

NCJetsfan and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  15. endydee

endydee Active Member

I'd prefer to think along the lines of which of the Jets draft picks will be Pro Bowl players. New coaching regime, new QB, better preparedness and mindset, etc. There is lots to look forward to, and be excited about. So lose the same old Jets mentality and start thinking positive about this team and the future of this organization.

NCJetsfan and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Did you honestly watch our games and ever think "wow, Darnold is playing great but his supporting cast is letting him down all the time"?

I can't recall ever feeling that way. More often than not it was Darnold dragging everyone around him down. He hurt our defense with bad turnovers, giving them less time to rest and worse starting field position. He often didn't see open receivers. He often overthrew open receivers when he did see them. He held the ball too long and took bad sacks resulting in tons of three and outs.

Anyway, talking about Darnold is beating a dead horse at this point.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Darnold was traded but his ghost will haunt TGG for years to come, especially if he turns his career around. Prior to Wilson I cant remember a QB who was more divisive among posters than Darnold. There were a lot of people who defended Pennington after his arm fell off and to their credit he did have another good year left in him but his physical limitations cost his team a playoff game.

REVISion and Footballgod214 like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

So you watched games, and thought "wow if it wasn't for Darnold holding us back, Gase, Gore and Berrios would really shine."

Yeah, I gotta disagree.
    Since Gase got here, I felt every week the team was one step closer to ruining a promising talent....at least here.
    And that is ultimately what happened.

I think this is a case of the team busting a pick, rather than the player being a bust pick.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

Wilson, Darnold, Sanchez, Pennington....the QB has been argued endlessly on this board since I've been here.
    Pennington was the best talent, the injuries were unfortunate for both him and the team.

20. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I hate this thread.......

why couldn’t it be: Which one of our picks will be a pro bowler or make all pro or is a HoFer but no let’s discuss who will be a bust FFS!