Which draft format do you like better? Old or new?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rockyusmc2003, Apr 24, 2013.

?

Old format or New Format?

1. Bring back the old 2 day format

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. I like the new 3 day format

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Anyone else miss the old draft format?

I loved waking up Saturday morning, and being able to watch the draft ALL day, and then follow suit the next day. It was like a holiday weekend for me, I had the whole weekend planned out!

I hate having round one on Thursday, and continuing 2 days later, which is sandwiched between a work day! It just doesn't feel right!

I suppose anything to make an extra buck! Draft Day Thursday (with 20+ attendees, which is also annoying), season schedule release night....

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

before i had kids i loved the weekend draft. do nothing all day,it was like football sunday in april. now with kids and all their activities i love the primtime deal. i can catch the first 2 days without much hassle.

so no complaints from me.
    thanks n.f.l.

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I guess I'm lucky to have a wife that would take care of everything on draft weekend. She knows this weekend is like my Christmas.

(Even though the Jets give me coal sometimes)

4. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

I prefer the two day event much more. Nothing to do with kids as I have none, I just dont think they have gained much by extending it (other than ratings).

5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

would just prefer the first day wasnt on the Thursday (as clearly in the UK it doesnt finish until crazily late)

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Saturday Sunday was way better!

Wait until they do each round one per weeknight so they can occupy a full week of programming, those money whores….

7. BamaZeus

BamaZeus Member

I like the new format because the 2 nights + a day seems to go faster than having it all on 2 long days. With the picks coming quicker, it gives guys like Berman less time to wax poetic on the Lions first round pick from 1953.

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

If the Jets don't trade down are you going to sleep? Though not likely, I'd be afraid we'd jump back in while I was sleeping

9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

prefer the primetime stuff - adds more drama and shit.....

absolutely cannot wait until later. work right now is an afterthought.

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm sick of everything starting later in later in "primetime" but it's not going away so we might as well get used to it.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The NFL should go to a postal draft format. Any time after the league year opens and right up to the 4th Thursday in April the #1 team can make their pick. Then the next team has up to an hour after that to make theirs and so on.

You get an automatic 24 hour break between each round unless the draft starts later than the 3rd Thursday in April.

That'd end all the smokescreens and bullshit in a hurry. If you really wanted to look at your pick closely you'd have to get there in a hurry after the Combine. Teams would be mapping out their picks to catch other teams in flight to the wrong destination.

GM's would be getting paged in the shower because a bunch of teams before them made picks bang-bang-bang. You have guys in the mail room making the picks because everybody above them was out of touch at the exact same time. We'd all discover that guys in the mail room taking a stab in the dark generally make just as sound picks as GM's with a multi-million dollar organization underneath them.

It'd be a great media event too. Like a cross between the Great Race and It's a Mad, Mad World. You'd have ESPN and the NFL network chasing teams down as they were on the move to get the skinny on who they might pick and if they were worried that the next 10 picks in front of them could all be done in the hour.

It'd be like Survivor too. Which GM can take the heat of being repeatedly interrupted while doing other things to make a big pick?

Then after round 6 everything freezes and in a huge event on the 4th Thursday in April the 7th round of the NFL draft is conducted with great pomp and ceremony with Roger Goodell giving every draftee a remote video hug at whatever location they find themselves.

The network analysts could spend the entire draft night showing cutup chase scenes and highlights from the 6 rounds before. "And here's the fender bender in Midtown Manhattan from the 3rd round where John Idzik was out of wireless range for 20 minutes and spent the whole time running around looking for a signal!"

It'd be a blast and I'll bet you the NFL draft night would be more widely watched than the Super Bowl.

#11 Br4d, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013