Where would we be if Leon did not get hurt?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Jan 18, 2010.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Screen plays would open up the offense even more. We would be even scarier still missin Leon at this point and Jenks :sad:

2. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

We'd be more effective in the return game. Cotch is solid on punts, but he's no Leon. Aside from that TD at Indy, BSmith hasn't been making big plays on kickoffs.

3. JetMonkey

JetMonkey Member

I am pretty certain Leon was ineffective as a punt returner. He was MUCH better suited as a kickoff returner...
    Smith has done well for us on kickoff returns. He doesn't have to get into the endzone every time he is back to receive a kick... He has consistantly set us up with decent to good field position...

If you want to play the stat game, in four returns this post-season, he has averaged 24.8 yards per return. That is pretty damned good, if you ask me. Do I want him to increase that number? Obviously. But to ask him to take returns to the house routinely? That's silly.

4. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I think with Leon we would have won 1-2 more games during the regular season but we'd probably still be where we are.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We'd have gone 11-5, but still been the #5 seed (NE defeats Texans with starters), then lose to the Chargers in the Divisional Round.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think Greene was going to start getting carries, leon would have gotten his touches in the passing game. Greene would still be a force except we'd have another weapon in Leon.

7. jerseydan

jerseydan New Member

Next year is going to be very very interesting. How can we keep all (3) runningbacks happy? So much talent at the position. Try ranking them on the depth chart.

8. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Jones means more to this team than people give him credit for. 4th and 1 with the game on the line, Rex and Schotty went with Jones for the yard. His pre-game speeches, work ethic and leadership by example would be soorely missed if he were allowed to walk. He has gotten a ton of TD's the last 2 years for the Jets, rarely fumbles and has done a wonderful job since he has gotten here.

That said, the Jets really do not have a receiving threat in the backfield. Greene, for as good as he has been of late, can't catch. Leon would surely would have saved Sanchez a couple of INT's if he were available to catch out of the backfield on passsing downs. Instead of throwing downfield, check down to Leon. Goes with the offensive philosophy.

I wonder how Mike T is going to handle this situation. He can't overpay Jones and Leon because neither is going to be a featured back but both are going to be looking for big payouts. Greene is a constant since it is his first year although his running style could lead to a shortened career with all the contact and all.

9. 624

624 Banned

Sanchez probably wouldn't have went through his interception slump.