Where were you during the "Fake Spike"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scruggy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

With the Season opener coming up against the Hated Pats. Lets take a look back at that old intense rivalry with The Fins. Where were you when Dan Marino ran afoul of our Goal-line D, and made history with that hand gesture that will haunt us forever.

The Fake Spike

I remember I was in Junior High and I was making flash cards for Spanish class while watching the game in my room. When Dirty Dan did the deed, I let out an angry prepubescent scream, and hurled an unopened pack of index cards through my bedroom window.

Needless to say, I got in trouble for breaking my window and had to pay to replace it. Fuck You, Dan Marino. I'm still mad at you.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I was watching it up close and personal. For all of Aaron Glenn's stellar play, he'll always be remembered for that momentary lapse of reason. I almost drove my car off a cliff on the way home. On purpose. You know, to make myself feel better.

3. baamf

baamf Active Member

Section 314, screaming at Aaron Glenn to cover that bastard....

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

At the game in my seats. The Jets, who went into that game at 6-4 didn't win a game the rest of the season and it doomed Pete Carroll.

5. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Well, doomed Pete Carroll to ultimately become a bad-ass College Head Coach, but I get what you mean. :)

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was in Hawaii about to kick the shit out of my Dolphins fan roommate who didn't understand that you don't get in a Jets fan's face like that when his team loses in a shocker.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I was awake at 4:00 am Monday morning in Guam to watch that game, but had to go hit PT at about 6:15 as the Dolphins cut it to a TD. I just had an ominous feeling as I left that the Jets wouldn't win the game. when I finished, it wasn't bad enough to get back to learn how they lost, I was blessed to make the highlight show that showed me how.

8. John127

John127 New Member

I was so close I could hear the players. My seats are 7 rows from the field right on that goal line, on the side of the field Marino threw to. Not the play I wanted burned in my memory, but it's there.

9. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Jets were never 6-4 that year.

They were 6-5 entering that Dolphins game.

Mark Ingram won an Al Bundy Award that day. (Scored four touchdowns in one game.)

10. bigoakley

bigoakley New Member

The ole fake spike has SLOWLY but surely turned into a funny memory for me, cause it brought about a CLASSIC lecture from my mom:

I was 19 years old and home for Thanksgiving weekend. I remember watching the pregame and they were hyping the game up big time, saying the winner of the game would most likely go on to the win the division..blah blah...man was i pumped.

I watched the whole game with a weary eye...as us jets fans have learned to do. I tried my hardest not to get too excited when the jets opened up that big lead early in the 3rd quarter.

I'll fast forward cause we all know what happens in the game. So after screaming at the TV, snapping at my brother and mom numerous times, and trying almost to the point of crying to explain why this was such a crushing loss (we all knew the jets wouldn't recover didn't we??), my mom delivered her now classic address highlighted by:

"Why do you care so much about a bunch of guys that don't give a shit about you?? Do you think the Jets sit there and start cheering when you get an A on a midterm or get bummed out when you get a C? Why do you invest so much time and energy into something that makes you this misrerable? You've ruined thanksgiving weekend with your crappy attitude!! And so forth...

So yeah...horrible game, horrible memory, but classic mom speech...i still tease her about it, and she still gets mad at me for caring too much...

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I was in my good ole Section 336

To put Insult to injury - I was Driving home from My Uncles Funeral when I heard about the beginning of the Kotite Era.

I was always a Big Fan of Carroll and have always felt he should have gotten a 2nd Season , But I think USC was his rightful destiny.

12. sect105

sect105 New Member

Was standing up at my seat in sect.105, thanking God that the Dolphins were going to settle for a FG attempt. I remember saying to myself...."good they are going to spike it....wait wait what's this, Oh God you gotta be kiddin me. No No No..... SHIT!!!!!!

13. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

Section 115, 3rd row. What's really sad about that play was that Arron Glenn got the blame but he was the ONLY player on the defensive side of the ball to actually play the ball. It was a jump ball and being only 5'9" and a rookie at the time, he lost. The rest of the lug-heads just stood up and looked at the scoreboard. Most of them didn't even bother to try to get set before the snap. That's what I find most aggravating. Most of the players didn't even try to play the ball. :mad: :mad: :mad:

14. Joe W. Namath

Joe W. Namath New Member

It was the 1st game I ever went to.

15. 20&out

20&out New Member

Seated in section 107, row 30. It happened right smack in front of us. It hurts just thinking about it. One of, if not the worst of my Jet experiences.

16. 319-1-x4

319-1-x4 New Member

319 row 1. Almost had a fight with some black guy too. One of those obnoxious Dolphag fans screaming at the top of his lungs "JETS SUCK, JETS SUCK, JETS SUCK"!!! We were in each others faces all the way down the ramps. Got to the bottom and I asked him to throw the first punch. His whitetrash girlfriend shoved him away a bit because he seemed ready to throw his punch and he went flat on his ass into the fence. I couldn`t do anything but laugh, as did other Jets fans. I think he got embarassed by it and pretty much went on his way. His was pretty drunk but I still would have pounded his ass into the macadam like no tomorrow. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed and we both went on our way. I was fucking fuming after that. The Jets went from almost being in first to dead last after that. It took the entire season away from the Jets(that spike). But if you look at what has transpired since that spike, the Jets have had the Dolphins # beating them 12 of the last 22 games. Took awhile to get one back from them but we`ve had their # pretty much since then.

Nothing was worse than losing to Denver in 98. I had been picked for Super Bowl tickets that year and the Jets were winning 10-0 in the 3rd. until my dreams were shattered. That is when I pretty much knew I`d never see my Jets play in a Super Bowl. The chances of being picked through the NFL lottery for SB tickets is so remote that it will most likely never happen for me again. You want to talk about having a dream come through shattered into a gazillion pieces??? It was then I had to realize that this is just a game and truly doesn`t matter to me anymore. It was difficult but I think I`ve come to my senses these days. All those years of suffering with the Jets from 1981...... I still cheer for the Jets to win but I know I`ll never see them in the Super Bowl. I`ve grown a bit older and it really doesn`t matter much anymore to me. If I do happen to be so lucky again and be picked for SB tickets, and the Jets make it, I`ll be there. I just ain`t bettin the house on it.

17. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

section 129 row 17 seat 1
    forever will i remember that day

18. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

That fuggin' sig is hypnotizing. I . . . can't stop watching it. Wait. Where am I?

19. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

at My dads house watching on the "big screen"....Oh yeah he is a Dolphins fan. I didn t talk to him for a week, I literly went to my room, shut the door and played the game over on my SEGA. Needlss to say I killed the Dolphins.

20. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

I was there. My seats in 121 which is in the endzone. We have 5 tickets and brought a girl that I am friends with. At 1/2 time I started telling her how things where going to good and I thought we would loose the game. I hate being right