Where does this rank among the all time Jets Agony?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Dec 22, 2008.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Good perspective on a rough day.

2. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

This loss is a REAL BAD ONE in my ranking.... It seems like at the Tenn. game the team got tired. Brett got tired and old. The Offensive and Defensive coaches went into a winters nap and never woke up. There will be some changes in the coaching this I am sure of, But who, how many, and when will be the question.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Far the worst experience as a Jet Fan

4. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

I was 6 in 87 so Im going to have to go with this as the worst. I felt so good when they beat the Pats and then the Titans. There was so much potential here that just went waisted and fell flat. The problem is that this was the most positive I have felt towards a Jets team and the most I have let them convince me that they were a SB team. Based solely on that, I have fallen the most distance and it feels like all hope forever has been lost.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Now granted the season isn't over yet but I'd still rank 99 as a worse year. That was our year, this year there were still a handfull of teams that could have beaten us and the potential for the Giants to beat us in the SB was also a very real reality. I figured we'd go 3-2 after the Titans game but right now we are 1-3 since then. Honestly I don't know if making the playoffs would take away my disapointment because the way this team is playing they aren't going to win a game anyway.......

6. uhsplit

uhsplit New Member

This game was Seattle's redemption for the Vinny TD. We won that game. We stopped the Jets on 4th down. That loss knocked us out of the Playoffs.

Sweet revenge.

To top it off, on the 2 Jets forums I have posted with, not one Jet fan credited Seattle with a well played game. Outcoached was as close as a grat as i saw.

Our players beat your players straight up. We had no problem running between the tackles. Our QB avoided whatever pass rush the Jets could muster, and completed the pass. We sacked BF 4 times.

We just wanted the game more.

7. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's all a given, nobody is disputing that. The question is why. Maybe your second team should be starting ahead of your first team, because your first team was 3-11 coming into this game.

8. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Some of the one game disasters were worse: cleveland, denver, mud bowl.

But this definitely reminds me of the 86 season, where they were 10-1 and went o-fer the rest of the season. That was also a season where at some point the words "Jets" and SB" were mentioned in the same sentence, but then the team fell apart in the final month.

9. Italian Seafood

Thanks.

If Jet Failures were offered as a history course I'd ace it.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To early to tell. If we make the playoffs and win a playoff game it might not be as bad as 86. If we dont I put it above 86.

11. Italian Seafood

We actually did make the playoffs and won the Wild Card game in 1986. I was there--Pat Ryan and the QB draw on 4th and 8. :up:

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

In 86 I think they won one playoff game before blowing it in Cleveland.

But as far as regular seasons go, I see the similarities between 86 and 08.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This season isn't even on the radar in terms of disappointment. This team was likely capped out at 10-6 going into the season based on poor coaching and aging talent at several positions. We've gotten the best year we could have expected out of two key greybeards in Thomas Jones and Brett Favre. We got to watch several very entertaining wins along the way, and basically the Jets were competitive.

Eric Mangini does have to go, the sooner the better, however it';s not like anybody would have had a good shot at a super bowl with this team. Parcells probably would have lost Kris Jenkins to a back injury in game 3 and we'd be right where we are at the moment. It's only our extraordinary injury luck that has allowed Mangini not to derail us to 6-9 or something like that.

14. Italian Seafood

I still say 1993 with Boomer was the closest thing to date. Maybe the Miami coaches will punch each other out while kicking our ass Sunday. At least it won't be the Sunday night game, haha.

15. uberchink

uberchink New Member

If this ranks that high in terms of "Jets agony" then this just further proves that Jets' fans love to whine more than any other fan base. If this is the "same ole Jets" then you could pretty much use that same phrase ("same ole [insert random team}) and it would make sense.

all teams face rises and collapses. it could happen within a decade or it could happen all within one year. but the fact is, shit happens to every team except the one that wins the super bowl.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

ya I remember 86 well. I was calling for Ryan long before the WC game.

Thats why it might not be as bad as 86 if we win a WC game. Because to be as bad as that year we would have to win a WC game and have an epic collapse in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.

17. Italian Seafood

True. But that team was good, by the second half of the Cleveland game we were thinking we had a chance to win it all again. This team appears DOA even if we do get in.